Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,253 times

Advertisements

Hello, I searched the forum for recommendations for moving to NJ from NYC but most seem a little outdated so I'm hoping to get some fresh suggestions. We are looking to for an area with good schools but searching on Zillow gives mixed grading. Elementary rated a 10 while middle school rated a 6 and high school rated a 10. Brokers keep telling us not to worry about the ratings cause all the areas we are looking at (Glen Rock, Westfield, Livingston) have good school but I'm not 100% confident in that feedback. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Where are you coming from?
NYC
Why are you moving?
Schools and land
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Commute to the city - Around United Nations area
Will you buy or rent?
Buy
What is your budget ?
$1M
What kind of place are you looking for ?
House
Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Spouse and Kids
Do you need/want good public schools?
Yes
Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Young families, parks, close to the trains and driving distance to Brooklyn (max 1 hour no traffic)
List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Schools, entertainment, land
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 06:14 AM

462 posts, read 342,201 times
Others here can give you better feedback in totality, but I will say - those three towns, I wouldn't worry about the schools at all. They're good.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:20 AM

168 posts, read 139,977 times
Category I and J schools are all the best of the best.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cate...Factor_Group_J

Hope that helps.

Edit: if you’re working on the East side, Westchester and Fairfield are going to be better for your commute.

Last edited by tsek; 06-14-2023 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-14-2023, 07:31 AM

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2023, 07:47 AM

89,068 posts, read 85,670,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniskabk View Post
Hello, I searched the forum for recommendations for moving to NJ from NYC but most seem a little outdated so I'm hoping to get some fresh suggestions. We are looking to for an area with good schools but searching on Zillow gives mixed grading. Elementary rated a 10 while middle school rated a 6 and high school rated a 10. Brokers keep telling us not to worry about the ratings cause all the areas we are looking at (Glen Rock, Westfield, Livingston) have good school but I'm not 100% confident in that feedback. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Where are you coming from?
NYC
Why are you moving?
Schools and land
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Commute to the city - Around United Nations area
Will you buy or rent?
Buy
What is your budget ?
$1M
What kind of place are you looking for ?
House
Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Spouse and Kids
Do you need/want good public schools?
Yes
Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Young families, parks, close to the trains and driving distance to Brooklyn (max 1 hour no traffic)
List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Schools, entertainment, land
Be 100% confident in that feedback. All of those towns have good schools.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReddington View Post
Nutley. I live in Nutley and drive to Brooklyn/Queens everyday. Traffic depends on where and what time you leave
thanks!

Old 06-17-2023, 02:04 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,418,660 times
I second the recommendation to look north, not west.

Coming into Grand Central Terminal is much more convenient to the UN area than coming in on the west side to either Port Authority bus terminal or Penn Station.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:28 PM

78 posts, read 118,361 times
The rankings of schools is somewhat of a nebulous concept. Most of them are based on median SAT/ACT and the % that go onto a 4 year university. As you can imagine, there is a correlation between quality of high school and the corresponding middle schools. These are also highly correlated to median family income. So the schools with the richest parents tend to do best in the rankings. I'm not familiar with Glen Rock, but the schools in Westfield and Livingston are fine.

The school districts with perenially high rankings are (in no particular order): Millburn/Short Hills, Princeton, West Windsor, Montgomery, Holmdel, Chatham, Mendham. But there is no need to chase a ranking. Just pick a place which is best for your commute.

Regarding commute - it will not be easy to get to the UN area in under 1 hour from the NJ side. You'd be much better off in Westchester, as you could catch a train to Grand Central. All of the trains on the NJ side terminate in either Penn Station or World Trade Center. There is also several ferries. And loads of bus lines. Most of the buses go to Port Authority, but a handful of buses in Bergen County go to the GW Bus Terminal.

Old 06-18-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjack2000 View Post
The rankings of schools is somewhat of a nebulous concept. Most of them are based on median SAT/ACT and the % that go onto a 4 year university. As you can imagine, there is a correlation between quality of high school and the corresponding middle schools. These are also highly correlated to median family income. So the schools with the richest parents tend to do best in the rankings. I'm not familiar with Glen Rock, but the schools in Westfield and Livingston are fine.

The school districts with perenially high rankings are (in no particular order): Millburn/Short Hills, Princeton, West Windsor, Montgomery, Holmdel, Chatham, Mendham. But there is no need to chase a ranking. Just pick a place which is best for your commute.

Regarding commute - it will not be easy to get to the UN area in under 1 hour from the NJ side. You'd be much better off in Westchester, as you could catch a train to Grand Central. All of the trains on the NJ side terminate in either Penn Station or World Trade Center. There is also several ferries. And loads of bus lines. Most of the buses go to Port Authority, but a handful of buses in Bergen County go to the GW Bus Terminal.
Thanks, very helpful! Do you know when some of the top schools have such low passing grades? As an example, Pricenton middle school has a 53% Match passing rate for the school year 2021-2022. The trend seems to be that outside of Millburn which passing rate of high 70's% many of the top rated schools are passing at low 60's% to low 70's% in middle and high school.

Old 06-18-2023, 06:36 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,690,141 times
Glen Rock is a great town. It has a slight leg up if commuting into the city since it sits on both bergen and main lines, thus getting trains more frequently. You'll also want to look in ridgewood (bigger town, slightly lower taxes, bigger school, maybe slightly nicer than GR depending on who you ask). HHK, etc/ Obviously as you head further north into Bergen Co. commute times grow. I live in RW and grew up with a lot of GR kids and know the area well. Happy to answer any specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey