Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 06:10 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
My parents made the move to Florida too and every time I speak with them, they refer to how great the state is, especially with DeSantis leading it.

I agree with them. New Jersey would be a great state if it wasn't for Democrats. Unfortunately we can't have nice things when Democrats are in charge. 10% of my salary goes to New Jersey State (Florida none), and my property taxes here are more than many people mortgage payments in other states. Actually my property taxes are more than my mortgage payment here. All so I can fund Murphys corruptions.
You will not be missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 05:17 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
Quote:
My parents made the move to Florida too and every time I speak with them, they refer to how great the state is, especially with DeSantis leading it.

I agree with them. New Jersey would be a great state if it wasn't for Democrats. Unfortunately we can't have nice things when Democrats are in charge. 10% of my salary goes to New Jersey State (Florida none), and my property taxes here are more than many people mortgage payments in other states. Actually my property taxes are more than my mortgage payment here. All so I can fund Murphys corruptions.

The gap in affordability is narrowing. Sure there’s no state income tax and property taxes are much lower in Florida. But homeowner’s insurance is almost 3x as much and salaries (at least in my industry) were about 40% less. I don’t think my quality of life would be better living in Florida. Maybe in retirement.

Old 12-16-2023, 06:32 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The gap in affordability is narrowing. Sure there’s no state income tax and property taxes are much lower in Florida. But homeowner’s insurance is almost 3x as much and salaries (at least in my industry) were about 40% less. I don’t think my quality of life would be better living in Florida. Maybe in retirement.
Regarding the extortionate insurance rates in Florida, don't forget that insurance premiums aren't deductible on your Federal income tax, whereas property taxes are deductible, so the supposed financial advantage of living in FL is minimal, IMHO.

Old 12-16-2023, 11:24 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,147,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Those are the ones most likely to crap on the state to justify the move. I have a buddy who moved down to Tampa and posts the cringiest things daily on social media to make it clear that he made the right move. There are pros and cons to every state, but take those stories with a grain of salt.
Yes, I know that too. But the guys I knew were good solid guys. 1 was a coworker that was good as gold. I felt sure he was shooting straight.

I actually have a daughter living there, around Marlton at the moment. We visited here there once. I liked the people as much as any. I once did customer service by phone with an office in Moorestown. They were good people to deal with. We drove over there for dinner one night. Seemed like a nice town. I've just never heard anything good about the politicians, taxes and cost of living there. I think NJ is also the hardest state to get a carry permit. That borders on being a police state IMHO.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:44 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
But, that city certainly didn't smell better during his regime! Around 1979-1980, I visited friends who lived in Providence, and I had to ask them why their city reeked of sewer gas. While I don't recall the exact details, I recall them saying that the city was under sanction from the EPA because of the antiquated sanitary sewers (which were actually very un-sanitary).
Ugh! I was there much later. Early 00s, it had to be, because my niece got her degree from Rutgers in 2001 (I remember because they played the Space Odyssey theme at her commencement before they went into Pomp and Circumstance) and moved up there a couple of years later. Now she's in the Boston area, married to a Canadian, inching her way north.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:29 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Was talking with a Cousin over Christmas about this , he moved to Florida 10 years ago and then moved to Willington NC about 9 months ago and loves it. Said he never wants to see Florida again. He said Weather, Taxes, traffic, Medical care, yes Insurance were all big factors. He lived just around St, Augustine and he said believe it or not he wasn't a big fan of the growing Alligators problem . He said people were getting way to use to seeing them just walking around the area.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:38 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
You guys. You have to understand one thing about NY and NJ. They are both run by the Mafia. No politician can get elected without them. No garbage can be collected, no buildings can go up, no roads can be built - without Mafia input.

As a single person living in a small house, the trash got collected three days a week. I barely needed it one day a week. Don't like it? Unions say, tough ka****skes. Unions are run by you-know-what. It's so ingrained, I don't see it ever changing. Taxes too high? Guess why?

Wanna change it? Fuhgeddaboudit.
That depends on which County and which kind for Union you are referring to. I know this about the politicians and I know of unions that suck and do next to nothing for people who pay them in union dues. But I didn't think it was all mafia related.

Is this why Chris Christie couldn't break the teachers union so instead he focused on taking away medical benefits for employees in political/civil service jobs?

Last edited by staystill; 12-28-2023 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Little people go after little people so when politicians go after little clerks that's saying something about the politician

Old 12-28-2023, 10:36 AM

10,442 posts, read 6,974,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Was talking with a Cousin over Christmas about this , he moved to Florida 10 years ago and then moved to Willington NC about 9 months ago and loves it. Said he never wants to see Florida again. He said Weather, Taxes, traffic, Medical care, yes Insurance were all big factors. He lived just around St, Augustine and he said believe it or not he wasn't a big fan of the growing Alligators
problem . He said people were getting way to use to seeing them just walking around the area.
Oh yes, i'm sure that true. Zero income tax and low property taxes, beautiful coastal weather of northern Florida, lighter traffic in a lower population area were the reasons they wanted to move I give your cousin credit, he if he is a true Democrat he is living to his word, where low taxes, low traffic, low crime aren't good things.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:01 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Oh yes, i'm sure that true. Zero income tax and low property taxes, beautiful coastal weather of northern Florida, lighter traffic in a lower population area were the reasons they wanted to move I give your cousin credit, he if he is a true Democrat he is living to his word, where low taxes, low traffic, low crime aren't good things.
I've spent a lot of time in Florida, southwest. Low traffic is only in the off-season/summer. It's terrible in winter. And low crime? Are you kidding me? There's a lot of violent crime in Florida. Lower property taxes, no doubt. Jersey wins the prize for highest in the nation.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:47 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've spent a lot of time in Florida, southwest. Low traffic is only in the off-season/summer. It's terrible in winter. And low crime? Are you kidding me? There's a lot of violent crime in Florida. Lower property taxes, no doubt. Jersey wins the prize for highest in the nation.
In FL's defense, the violent crime rate is steadily dropping, especially post-2020. Not as low as New England + NJ+ Random Mountain states out west, but for a large state with 4 massive metropolitan areas... it's doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey