Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 07:46 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
When you go to the store you want someone to be behind the counter. When you go to the gas station you want someone to pump your gas. If you go to the hospital you want it to be kept clean. Where are the workers supposed to live?
Yep, in addition you have teachers, fire and police struggling to buy a home, rents through the roof and they are required to reside in NJ, can't move to PA,DE or Upstate NY if it's commutable.
These complainers just make me shake my head at their privileged indignation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 10:00 AM

2,677 posts, read 1,192,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yep, in addition you have teachers, fire and police struggling to buy a home, rents through the roof and they are required to reside in NJ, can't move to PA,DE or Upstate NY if it's commutable.
$60K have to move out when they didn't have help from family.

Teachers, Law Enforcement do not have to move out of NJ they make more than enough in their pensions than most office workers in public jobs do. But there are a lot of white collar public employees who were and still are insanely over paid. When the little union clerk gets a 2% increase the FA's get that same increase who are already being paid $70K to $100 to push paper around and play in charge of 3 people that 2 or more other division heads are already in charge of. They can afford to stay in NJ but choose to leave for large size homes and condominiums that are in nicer areas not next to highways which is where low income housing should be not homeowner tax paying condominiums. They don't move because they cannot afford to stay in NJ not the emplouees in those Teacher, Police & Fire jobs.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:17 AM

10,495 posts, read 7,019,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The hourly rate of teachers is significantly more than most other white collar jobs and Police make much more than other white collar jobs. The police pensions also allow them to retire in their late 40s is pretty nice. Most other people, have to work an additional 20 years. I complain because its one of the best gigs out there if you want to do the job.

Actually, most full-time teacher salaries are significantly over the limits to even come close to get affordable housing.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:41 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
Without naming names as I value my privacy… affordable housing is coming in my area soon. I live in one of the wealthiest areas in NJ. It’s kind of making me angry for a few reasons:

1. Property taxes will have to go up massively. Currently the town sets a side a fixed amount for each child. But since the town is so wealthy most kids go to private school. Now with affordable housing you will see hundreds of kids enter the public school system. Who is going to pay for these children? Why of course the residents.

2. Affordable housing brings with it crime.

3. Affordable housing will cause massive traffic congestion on local roads not meant to handle hundreds of vehicles.

Before anyone mentions racism. That is not an issue here. I myself am a minority, and the Asian population in the area is almost 35%. The issue is not race based at all. It’s about ruining the culture, and prestige. Only through hard work could you live in a town like this. Now it’s shifted to a lottery system.

Who are the imbeciles in Mount Laurel who asked for this? Of course the housing is built with town revenues paid by tax payers. The developer wins however a new source of income. The developers want this insanity. The residents do not.

The mayor is trying to put a positive spin on the situation talking about “inclusivity.” But god it makes me so angry.

What other problems does adorable housing bring?

All of these people can go live in Paterson, or Hackensack. They do not deserve my town.

Are you just assuming it's going to be high density housing? When I looked up Mt Laurel affordable housing plans I only saw plans for 56 units of "age restricted" housing, which means senior citizens. Affordable housing is not the same as low income, they aren't subsidized and there are minimum income requirements. They aren't for poor people as in people on welfare. Ocean City met it's obligation by building 5 duplexes for a total of 10 units. So do you know the plans for your area or are you making assumptions?

Old 04-17-2024, 10:51 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
I dont see Republicans shifting the voting base in every town in NJ under the guise of affordable housing. I dont see Republicans creating a welfare class for votes. I dont see Republicans letting in 8M migrants in 4 years with the hope of getting their citizen children's votes.

The most that republicans do is pander to the fears of gun right's advocates, and evangelical nuts when it comes to abortion.

Affordable housing will destroy my town. We earned the right to live here in a multi million dollar house. All of us did. We didn't come in a lottery paid for by others.

Even if property taxes go up by $1000 that bill should be sent to Murphy, and the Democrat party of NJ.
Every residential break in, robbery, murder, rape is now the fault of Democrats.

The only reason the Democrats are even holding on is because of Trump. The day he leaves the picture you will see an uprising.

NJ is a failing state, and trending red though Dems always win. Its going to take a generation to fix the damage filthy democrats have caused.
I thought you would understand that I certainly didn't didn't mean they were doing the same things that pizz off people that the Democrats do, just that they also make their decisions based on getting votes, not for the good of the people. All politicians make their decisions first and foremost on what is best for themselves. Trump is just more transparent about it.

Sadly, there are people who got hope in their eyes that he would be different from a career politician and who believed the character they saw on a TV show was a real person.

For the record, I'm with you. While affordable housing for the working class is a true concern, forcing affluent towns to also accept what might be the dregs of society will not end well.

Your best bet is to get involved in your municipality not with red-faced fist-raising and shrieking about political parties but rather to work for real solutions within the specific parameters of your community. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:16 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought you would understand that I certainly didn't didn't mean they were doing the same things that pizz off people that the Democrats do, just that they also make their decisions based on getting votes, not for the good of the people. All politicians make their decisions first and foremost on what is best for themselves. Trump is just more transparent about it.

Sadly, there are people who got hope in their eyes that he would be different from a career politician and who believed the character they saw on a TV show was a real person.

For the record, I'm with you. While affordable housing for the working class is a true concern, forcing affluent towns to also accept what might be the dregs of society will not end well.

Your best bet is to get involved in your municipality not with red-faced fist-raising and shrieking about political parties but rather to work for real solutions within the specific parameters of your community. Good luck.
They’re not going to be the dregs of society. Again the housing is not subsidized meaning they won’t take section 8. In Ocean City the minimum income for a one bedroom is over $28,000 a year, so it has to be someone who has a job. And in Mt Laurel the only articles I found on affordable housing stated they’re building senior housing to meet the mandate.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:22 AM

1,061 posts, read 549,696 times
In NYC the affordable rents are determined on a neighborhood basis. They will be higher in an expensive neighborhood and lower in a cheaper neighborhood.

I believe the reason for this is that in a more expensive area not only regular rents are higher but everything else is more expensive also, like the grocery stores.

The idea is that the tenants will fit in financially with the neighborhood better.

Ditto to what ocnjgirl said above.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:32 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They’re not going to be the dregs of society. Again the housing is not subsidized meaning they won’t take section 8. In Ocean City the minimum income for a one bedroom is over $28,000 a year, so it has to be someone who has a job. And in Mt Laurel the only articles I found on affordable housing stated they’re building senior housing to meet the mandate.
Thanks. I did not know Section 8 would not be eligible.

If you look at what I posted above, they can only use 25% of their affordable housing allotment for the categories for senior housing and housing for the disabled, for which they get 1.5 or 2x credits.

But yes, the details need to be put forth. I realize for some posters not gathering/providing all the facts is essential because its just fake outrage to focus on political parties, but it is important to the rest of us to learn the actual information.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:50 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I realize for some posters not gathering/providing all the facts is essential because its just fake outrage to focus on political parties
Yup!
Obfuscation, in order to promote fake outrage, is the order of the day with... some people.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:54 AM

163 posts, read 131,095 times
There is a housing crisis with a dire shortage of inventory - only the very well to do can comfortably afford to buy in much of NJ right now.

My wife and I have high end careers and lots of savings and it took a lot of pain and luck for us to find a townhouse. My co-workers in the same job were able to afford large, new SFHs on our salary just 5 years ago. The affordability situation is bleak.

I live in an upscale town and in my development there are affordable units. The people who live in them are nice. There are absolutely no issues with noise or crime or whatever.

I suspect there are hordes of nurses and teachers other decent, hard-working people who are sooner to benefit from these units than whatever boogeymen you're imagining.

I totally understand the NIMBY mentality; you make yourself better off and your town even more exclusive. I'm sure it feels great. The problem is is that is very toxic for society.

So no, there should be no reason that affordable units are forced into Alpine or Saddle River or whatever. But if NIMBYs throughout NJ hadn't been so successful in burning the bridge behind them, there would be enough housing now and the government wouldn't have to force the issue.

Last edited by tsek; 04-17-2024 at 12:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey