Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 07:04 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,353,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
a true POS
why? i wish i could do jury duty though, only gotten 3 notices in my life and never actually got to serve. But hey, if you want to toss your notice, go for it. Calling them a POS is just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 01:07 AM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 13 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,315,387 times
I loved being on a jury (my school paid my salary while I was serving).
It was so interesting, the other jurors were friendly and everyone wanted the case to be resolved. It was.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-10-2024, 07:50 AM

459 posts, read 331,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
why? i wish i could do jury duty though, only gotten 3 notices in my life and never actually got to serve. But hey, if you want to toss your notice, go for it. Calling them a POS is just silly.
It's part of the social contract here in the US. If everyone did what that person does, the system would fall apart. It's selfish, so yes - POS.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:51 AM

19,173 posts, read 25,435,766 times
Quote:
It's part of the social contract here in the US. If everyone did what that person does, the system would fall apart. It's selfish.
+1
Have I ever wanted to serve on a jury?
No, I never desired that duty, but I would have done so--and I did report for jury duty (circa 1996) in Union County. I was not put on a case, and was sent home after that one-day commitment, but I would have done my civic duty if called-upon to do so.

My subsequent notice for jury duty was dismissed after reporting that I used to work as an assistant to two NJ Deputy AGs, but if they hadn't dismissed me from duty, I would have made the best of it, and would have done my civic duty.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:37 AM

1,162 posts, read 876,626 times
Keep in mind that the initial reporting summons is a very small mailer. It is not tracked and easily lost in the mail. If you acknowledge you received it, I would bet you would be in more trouble for not showing up, rather than just pretending it was "lost" in the mail (which it very easily could). Worst case scenario, Sheriff officer shows up at your door for not acknowledging your summons. You shrug and claim you never got any summons in the mail and have no clue what they are talking about. Sherriff then hands you a new summons directly, that you cannot get out of. That would be worst case scenario cause they cannot prove you got it in the mail unless you respond to it.

Sidenote, the one time I did have to show up for Jury Duty (Union County), the Judge did announce everyone who did not show up will receive a bench warrant. However I believe he was bluffing cause again, you cant prove everyone actually got their summons. Also, my sister ignored or forgot about her jury duty notice at least twice, and never heard from them again and never got into any trouble. Bottom line, you have a very small chance of actually getting on a case, so its really not worth the risk by ignoring a summons in my opinion.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
It's part of the social contract here in the US. If everyone did what that person does, the system would fall apart. It's selfish, so yes - POS.
Judging by some of the responses here, many do what this person does. The system is still standing.

What i don't get is how some people get notices constantly, and some rarely (or never) do. Something definitely wrong with that.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I loved being on a jury (my school paid my salary while I was serving).
It was so interesting, the other jurors were friendly and everyone wanted the case to be resolved. It was.
Exactly, i wish i would get called. oh well, maybe one day. I find the process fascinating.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Keep in mind that the initial reporting summons is a very small mailer. It is not tracked and easily lost in the mail. If you acknowledge you received it, I would bet you would be in more trouble for not showing up, rather than just pretending it was "lost" in the mail (which it very easily could). Worst case scenario, Sheriff officer shows up at your door for not acknowledging your summons. You shrug and claim you never got any summons in the mail and have no clue what they are talking about. Sherriff then hands you a new summons directly, that you cannot get out of. That would be worst case scenario cause they cannot prove you got it in the mail unless you respond to it.

Sidenote, the one time I did have to show up for Jury Duty (Union County), the Judge did announce everyone who did not show up will receive a bench warrant. However I believe he was bluffing cause again, you cant prove everyone actually got their summons. Also, my sister ignored or forgot about her jury duty notice at least twice, and never heard from them again and never got into any trouble. Bottom line, you have a very small chance of actually getting on a case, so its really not worth the risk by ignoring a summons in my opinion.
That's actually an excellent point, there is zero proof whether or not you received the initial mailer. So i think your post is accurate, and i haven't ever heard of anyone getting a sheriff orricer knocking on their door.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:44 AM

172 posts, read 98,854 times
Quote:

I think it was a bluff. In the big counties, hundreds of people may not show in one week. In the big counties, I am sure the sheriff does not have the manpower to go after everyone who doesn't show. Maybe in the redneck counties like Sussex and Warren.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:29 PM

172 posts, read 98,854 times
Quote:

True. Getting out of jury duty is hard. Not getting picked is east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey