Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 09:50 AM

89,028 posts, read 85,578,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Good points but you still lose hours in day 1 to do this!
Your company would actually not pay you to show up when you get a jury duty notice? WTH. I'd find a better job.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:23 AM

11,403 posts, read 16,821,017 times
Been thinking about this for a few days.

As a American citizen, you should be honored that we have the ability to be judged by our peers and not look for ways to get out of jury duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 06:53 AM

59 posts, read 110,383 times
I can't stand jury duty... a complete waste of time.. and when you do get selected, there is a chance you'll sit through the entire trial, only to get nixed at the very end. Happened to me, 3 days of trial only to be told, "Jury #8, please step down and have a seat in the back, please"... I'll never go back.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:18 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,363,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Your company would actually not pay you to show up when you get a jury duty notice? WTH. I'd find a better job.
The whole discussion has me wondering, do people who work for small businesses get paid? or things like auto mechanics or any type of vocation job? That kind of sucks if they don't, i know i wouldn't give up a days pay (or more) to do jury duty.

Old 05-15-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
The whole discussion has me wondering, do people who work for small businesses get paid? or things like auto mechanics or any type of vocation job? That kind of sucks if they don't, i know i wouldn't give up a days pay (or more) to do jury duty.
I don't know, maybe not. Probably depends on who they work for.

Old 05-16-2024, 05:59 AM

1,169 posts, read 889,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think many companies would pay you PTO for Jury Duty (especially beyond 3 days). My wife's company is very good and flexible with PTO especially when it comes to her dealing with her elderly parents, but even they would not not pay her beyond 3 days PTO for Jury Duty.

Old 05-16-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I don't think many companies would pay you PTO for Jury Duty (especially beyond 3 days). My wife's company is very good and flexible with PTO especially when it comes to her dealing with her elderly parents, but even they would not not pay her beyond 3 days PTO for Jury Duty.
OK. I worked in the public sector, so they probably have to pay us, and I know from my experience that a lot of companies would pay for no more than a week, but I would think any company (other than the above-mentioned small businesses like indie auto shops and whatnot) would at least pay their employee ONE day's pay to show up when called by their government to serve.

The process probably goes back to agricultural days when serving on jury duty meant taking a few days off from working in the fields and letting your kids handle it while you were out. They also didn't drag trials on for weeks. But, lawyers.

Old 05-16-2024, 03:27 PM

5,284 posts, read 3,860,305 times
I don't think it is a good idea to just not show up.

Old 05-16-2024, 04:15 PM

32,173 posts, read 27,410,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Such persons are compensated for jury duty same as anyone else.

Answer to your other query is generally no, local nor federal jury duty service will reimburse/compensate or whatever self employed, small business owners or whoever for their "losses" from serving on jury duty.

A person can always plead their case to a judge or clerk and see where that gets them...

Old 05-17-2024, 03:55 AM

1,169 posts, read 889,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Such persons are compensated for jury duty same as anyone else.

Answer to your other query is generally no, local nor federal jury duty service will reimburse/compensate or whatever self employed, small business owners or whoever for their "losses" from serving on jury duty.

A person can always plead their case to a judge or clerk and see where that gets them...
Not true at all. Many/most jobs will NOT compensate you for jury duty beyond a few days unless it goes towards your personal days/sick days. However, I believe most judges understand that or at least do not want those on a case who are in a rush to get back to work and avoid losing out on needed money to make a living. Like I said earlier in the thread, it is fairly easy to stay off a case and be dismissed once you are there.

Funny sidenote, a co worker of mine recently got dismissed because she gave the Judge an attitude that he kind of deserved. He spoke down to all of them like children regarding not be late coming back from your lunch break and really treated them like pieces of garbage for no reason. Turns out, most of the attorneys were ACTUALLY late coming back from lunch and she had the nerve to speak up and say why did you give us all this crap about being back on time, yet we are still waiting 20 min for the prosecutor and attorneys to return from lunch?? Judge snapped back at her "You're Dismissed"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey