Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:11 PM

24 posts, read 207,268 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'll be moving into an apartment in Weehawken kind of within walking distance to the Lincoln Harbor Lightrail station and the NY Waterway. I'm not a big partier, but I have a lot of friends in Brooklyn, Queens (basically the other side of the river(s)) and would love to meet up with them at bars and shows in Manhattan, but I'm concerned about late night weekend commutes home. The only 24/7 jersey service I know of is the PATH and weehawken is far from that. I looked up service times for both Lightrail and NY Waterway and found that the Lightrail's last service from Hoboken (path connection) to Lincoln is at 1:14AM and NY Waterway's last service from midtown to Lincoln is 1:10AM.

This just seems entirely too early to be coming home from the bar or club or wherever i end up frolicking. Am I misinterpreting the schedule? If not, how would you recommend I get home. Would I have to be reliant on cabs? And if so would I be better off taking a cab from Manhattan or taking the PATH to Hoboken and then taking a cab from there.

All your help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 08:50 PM

111 posts, read 416,956 times
Even when I lived in hoboken, I used to cab it home from NYC late night. It's expensive, but by far the quickest way to go. The Path takes forever late at night unless you time it right.

You could always get the path to hoboken and then cab it from there. It's certainly less expensive but it's going to take you a lot longer to get home.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:16 PM

24 posts, read 207,268 times
What kind of cab fare are we talking?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:49 AM

687 posts, read 3,252,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheRhetoric View Post
Hello,

I'll be moving into an apartment in Weehawken kind of within walking distance to the Lincoln Harbor Lightrail station and the NY Waterway. I'm not a big partier, but I have a lot of friends in Brooklyn, Queens (basically the other side of the river(s)) and would love to meet up with them at bars and shows in Manhattan, but I'm concerned about late night weekend commutes home. The only 24/7 jersey service I know of is the PATH and weehawken is far from that. I looked up service times for both Lightrail and NY Waterway and found that the Lightrail's last service from Hoboken (path connection) to Lincoln is at 1:14AM and NY Waterway's last service from midtown to Lincoln is 1:10AM.

This just seems entirely too early to be coming home from the bar or club or wherever i end up frolicking. Am I misinterpreting the schedule? If not, how would you recommend I get home. Would I have to be reliant on cabs? And if so would I be better off taking a cab from Manhattan or taking the PATH to Hoboken and then taking a cab from there.

All your help is appreciated!

Thanks!
I believe the ferry restarts around 5:00AM--maybe you can just stay out until then?

Not sure about the cab fare, but when we lived at Riverbend several years ago, it was crazy expensive to take a cab back. We did it a couple of times, but generally made a point to catch that last ferry.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:07 PM

206 posts, read 628,059 times
take the path ....cab ride from the to weehawken is about $20

Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 PM

96 posts, read 407,565 times
bus

Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,043,032 times
it really sucks how all of the mass transit options in the area (other than the PATH) shut down around 1 or 1:30am. but to answer the question, i think the best option that won't completely blow your budget is to take the PATH to hoboken, then a cab from there. if you're super tired and don't want to risk waiting 20-30 minutes for the PATH at 3am, then yeah, your only option is to cab it from the city. but since you'd have to pay for tolls, it ends up being pretty expensive. so it's something i'd do only once in a while.

when i lived in north jersey, i always used to drive into the city because i knew i'd be hanging out late. parking in the city can be a pain in the neck, but as long as you get to the city early enough (i.e. by 7-7:30pm at the absolute latest on a friday or saturday evening, if not 1-2 hours earlier) the parking situation is actually not terrible in busy areas like the west village, east village, or lower east side.

even if i was already in the city on a friday afternoon, i'd head back to nj via mass transit, then drive back in so that i wouldn't be at the mercy of the late night train/bus schedule. and if i drank a lot, i made sure to sober up with a few bites at a diner or joe's pizza before driving back home.

of course, if you know you're going to be hanging out until 5 or 5:30am, then buses, light rail, and possibly ferries to weehawken become an option again.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:40 AM

72 posts, read 385,658 times
This is a response I gave to another person in your situations:
The best way to get back to Weehawken, West New York, Union, Edgewater is to take the shuttle buses in front of Port Authority (they run all night practically all night) and get off somewhere on blvd east ( I usually pick a st before I leave NJ)

Call a cab (I used to keep 2-3 cab numbers on my cell) as soon as you get on the shuttle and tell them to pick you up in 10 mins (or however long it will take you to get to your previously selected street). Once you get off the shuttle, the cab is either getting there or will be there shortly after (just make sure that if you are running later than specified time, you call them and tell them so you won't be waiting in the dark by yourself while you wait for another one to be dispatched)

This always works for me and its pretty cheap ($2 for the shuttle & whatever the amt is for your cab). HTH

Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,043,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneone10 View Post
The best way to get back to Weehawken, West New York, Union, Edgewater is to take the shuttle buses in front of Port Authority (they run all night practically all night) and get off somewhere on blvd east ( I usually pick a st before I leave NJ)
i've always wondered about those latino gypsy vans running between hudson county and the port authority bus terminal. is there any way to find out their routes, schedules, and fares? sometimes it seems that those buses run completely randomly.

actually, i'm going to start a new thread about this since i'm very curious about this topic.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 AM

177 posts, read 700,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i've always wondered about those latino gypsy vans running between hudson county and the port authority bus terminal. is there any way to find out their routes, schedules, and fares? sometimes it seems that those buses run completely randomly.

actually, i'm going to start a new thread about this since i'm very curious about this topic.

I ride on them every day in and out of the city. I take the one that goes from Port Authority to Journal Square down Kennedy Blvd. It's Gate 51 inside Port Authority. $2.50 each way. Starts running around 5:30am during the week and 6:00am on weekends. Only runs until MIDNIGHT though.

The white buses on 42nd St. on the Port Authority side go to Bergenline and run up Bergenline from 30th St. to somewhere higher up on Bergenline. It also stops running at MIDNIGHT.

So that's my problem too. If I need to get home between 12 and 6 I have to take the PATH to Journal Square and then pay another $8 for a cab. There is no easy "subway" style of transportation for most of us coming back into Jersey in the middle of the night. It really sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey