Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Windfall profit tax, unconstitutional and anti-capitalist, major metropolitan areas of business, gas prices, big oil companies, taxing oil industry, personal income taxes, Exxon’s money

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:42 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,608 times

Advertisements

6/10/08 The Democrats proposed a windfall profit tax againts the oil companies. The Republicans vetoed the bill. $5.00 a gallon coming soon.

E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 04:45 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
6/10/08 The Democrats proposed a windfall profit tax againts the oil companies. The Republicans vetoed the bill. $5.00 a gallon coming soon.

E
do you think another tax would bring prices down?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:01 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times
A "windfall profits tax" is highly unconstitutional and also incredibly anti-capitalist. I couldnt be happier it got vetoed, and I look forward to $12/gal. gas if it gets people to finally realize how wasteful they are.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
A "windfall profits tax" is highly unconstitutional and also incredibly anti-capitalist. I couldnt be happier it got vetoed, and I look forward to $12/gal. gas if it gets people to finally realize how wasteful they are.
12 dollars a gallon would also put anyone that is outside of the major metropolitan areas out of business, out of work, and unable to do anything. It has nothing to do with being wasteful...it has to do with living in an area where mass transit isn't available and having the NEED to drive to the store or to work.

Gas prices where they are right now are forcing people to not be able to work....that doesn't have anything to do with being wasteful...last I checked work IS a necessity.

~Joey

Old 06-11-2008, 06:28 AM

16 posts, read 40,369 times
To break things down for everyone to understand...The Democrats in the Senate want to punish companies for making profits. Taxing oil companies and taking away their money they could use to invent or reinvent a new technology, that's very anti-captialist. With that extra tax on the five big oil companies you're looking at higher prices because the difference would be put on the consumer. In the end, the GOP that saved the American People from paying $5 a gallon of gas.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
12 dollars a gallon would also put anyone that is outside of the major metropolitan areas out of business, out of work, and unable to do anything. It has nothing to do with being wasteful...it has to do with living in an area where mass transit isn't available and having the NEED to drive to the store or to work.

Gas prices where they are right now are forcing people to not be able to work....that doesn't have anything to do with being wasteful...last I checked work IS a necessity.

~Joey
I feel bad for people who it costs to get to work, but people are too selfish/lazy to carpool or find other methods. But my biggest issue is that I STILL see people with their cars idiling in parking lots with the air on, and people who floor it from a red light, or drive at 20mph+ over the speed limit. People all over the place regardless of where they live waste gas, but still complain about the prices. Plus I know a ton of people who moved to PA to buy a huge house because it was cheaper, and they decieded they would rather drive 50+ miles to work every day. My $12/gal is a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point. The biggest reason people want cheap gas is so they can go back to not caring where it comes from or how they waste it. You tell me what you think will happen if the price gets back to $2/gallon...our consumption will just spike to old levels again. The only way to change the situation is to transition out of it, and in a transition, some people will have to suffer, thats just how things work.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstinks View Post
To break things down for everyone to understand...The Democrats in the Senate want to punish companies for making profits. Taxing oil companies and taking away their money they could use to invent or reinvent a new technology, that's very anti-captialist. With that extra tax on the five big oil companies you're looking at higher prices because the difference would be put on the consumer. In the end, the GOP that saved the American People from paying $5 a gallon of gas.
Oh really?

McCain Would Regulate CEO Pay | Election Geek Blog 2008 Election News 24/7 (http://www.electiongeek.com/blog/2008/06/10/mccain-would-regulate-ceo-pay/ - broken link)

Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Oh really?

McCain Would Regulate CEO Pay | Election Geek Blog 2008 Election News 24/7 (http://www.electiongeek.com/blog/2008/06/10/mccain-would-regulate-ceo-pay/ - broken link)
yes, mccain is a boob too, but obama and his ilk are such radical left wing zealots, that anyone capable of thinking could never vote for him. Obama's buzz word is change, but once you peak under his skirt and see the changes he has in store for us, it gets real scary real quick

Old 06-11-2008, 07:54 AM

717 posts, read 773,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post

E
Yes. All Corporations' profits should be sliced so the Government gets their share. How could the Government do anything wrong with billions of dollars siphoned from our economy?

Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Yes. All Corporations' profits should be sliced so the Government gets their share. How could the Government do anything wrong with billions of dollars siphoned form our economy?
Yep...and dont forget that a vote for Obama also means that the government will get their hands on Exxon's money which they have no right to, but he also wants to raise your personal income taxes so that he can mis-spend YOUR money too. Its almost like a religous cult where you agree to send x% of your money to them with no questions asked at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey