Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:33 PM

130 posts, read 497,003 times

Advertisements

Is it a good idea to move from Edison to Robbinsville? Our budget is 325K and we found a pretty good 10 year old townhouse in Robbinsville. We work in NY city. Hamilton station is 5 miles from this townhouse. Taxes around 6K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:40 PM

39 posts, read 168,775 times
I don't know much about Robbinsville, but I have friends that live in Lawrenceville and I believe they take the Hamilton station train (or the next stop) to commute to NYC. I just know it's a super a long commute (maybe about 2 hrs one way, depending on where in NY you work)

Old 06-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Thanks Kelly. For us, commute is increasing by 15 minutes. So thats not a major difference.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
I guess it's a good idea if you like Robbinsville and want to move out of Edison. Two very different places!

In the past couple of years, Robbinsville has changed dramatically from a small community (with a large agricultural land mass) to an up and coming suburban centre. They, recently, adopted "Robbinsville" as their official name, instead of another "Washington Township" place, and just had their first HS class graduate from their brand new HS.
The Town Centre is nearing completion and they are now trying to preserve as much open space as they can get their hands (money) on.

For what it's worth, I like Robbinsville and I like how the town is managing it's space. It is a rapidly growing/changing place but totally not Edison!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Hamilton rail station to NYC Penn Station is between 60-90 minutes, depending on the number of stops.

New Jersey Transit

Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 AM

Thanks Jersey and Ira. I'm still thinking if it is a wise decision to move out from prime location like Edison. Only benefit I could see is cheaper and better houses in Robbinsville.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skapur View Post
Is it a good idea to move from Edison to Robbinsville? Our budget is 325K and we found a pretty good 10 year old townhouse in Robbinsville. We work in NY city. Hamilton station is 5 miles from this townhouse. Taxes around 6K.
Princeton Junction train station is closer to Robbinsville than Hamilton.........

Old 06-24-2008, 08:18 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times
Quote:
I would be scared, what if the train becomes to crouded in coming years? It's very far, u can find very similar areas a lot closer. I have family in Robbinsville, it's nice but nothng fabulous. School system is small. not many asians there. ALSO, returning from NYC, sometimes u gota take 2 trains, laying over in Linden station for upto an hour! certainly not worth it.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I would be scared, what if the train becomes to crouded in coming years? It's very far, u can find very similar areas a lot closer. I have family in Robbinsville, it's nice but nothng fabulous. School system is small. not many asians there. ALSO, returning from NYC, sometimes u gota take 2 trains, laying over in Linden station for upto an hour! certainly not worth it.
Thanks Dhanu. Could you explain more on the Linden? Is that during off peak hours?

We looked for similar areas but could not find any in this price range and the quality of this house. we are looking for 3 bed, 2 bath and full basement.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 PM

11 posts, read 24,904 times
Default good decision

Quote:

Skapur,
I am resident of robbinsville for 3 yrs and we love this place.

Commute: All express trains take 57-65 minutes in the peak time to penn station from Hamilton station. If you are planning to move to either foxmoor or town center developments, add 12-15 mnutes for travel to the station and parking. Parking deck is 5 floors and you need to have additional 5 mins to get down to the platform and if you go in the morning before 7 Am, you can park in lower levels. parking costs you 6 dollars.

JObs: Depending on what you do, you have two big job markets in new york and philly both equideistant from here along with princeton.

Taxes : This is the only township in the area where taxes went down in last two years. The Mayor is pretty good and fiscally responsible.

Shopping : Hamilton market place is 3 miles from foxmoor/WTC and you can pretty much find anything in that place. Jackson outlet mall is 12 miles and takes 15 minutes to go there. Princeton area shopping, qucaker bridge mall area is 5.6 miles from the town.

Schools: There are two elementary schools, one middle schools and one 4 yr old high school. My kids don't go to school yet but all I heard about the schools are good.

Community: We have lot of stuff like township festivals, carnival or some kind of studff going on all the time.
Good library system and you can borrow books from any mercer county library system.

Future: The township counil recently approved new zoning laws by which the town will bring lot of new commercial ratables along rt-130 from east windsor to rt-195, whichj will help residents with their future taxes.
They are really commited to open space policy, so not many new residential developments are going to developed.

--- It is wise decision to consider robbinsville. Let me know if you have any questions about the area, I will try to answer them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey