Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,687 times

Advertisements

Springfield actually does fit that definition with the exception of the “walkable downtown” part. But it’s absolutely a suburb.

Secaucus? No. Harrison? No. Fort Lee? Yes. I mean, there’s no exact definition of a suburb. I just go by the “eye” test. And Fort Lee’s got it, the others don’t.

And may I ask how long it’s been since you’ve been to Linden? What your describing is primarily relegated to one section – Sunnyside. I was in Linden yesterday and I saw 99 cent stores, a strip club, bars and a refinery. That doesn’t fit the definition of a suburb to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
I still pass through Linden on a somewhat regular basis. I drove through there less than a month ago.

Drive Southeast on Wood Ave, from the end (near Cranford). Wood Ave has decent homes with fairly big lawns. I'm not sure, is that Sunnyside?

Then you get into the commercial part of Wood Ave. It's no Westfield or Cranford, but it's a decent walkable downtown.

In high school, I had 2 or 3 friends who lived in Linden, and some of them still do. Their houses were on nice, suburban blocks.

Linden is mostly shabby, and there are a lot of minorities, but that doesn't make it "urban".

Would I live there? No.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:35 AM

Okay, that’s not Sunnyside, but that section’s probably the second best section of Linden. Yes, it does have a very suburban feel to it.

Personally, I’ve lived within 15 minutes of Linden my entire life and, like you, I also have friends that live there. I may be a bit biased, but I’ve seen Linden decline rapidly in the last couple years, as have many towns in eastern Union County. I stopped at the Quick Check yesterday for the first time in awhile and, man, was that an eye opener. Maybe I’m comparing the Linden of now to the Linden of, say, 10 years ago, and that’s the reason I’m a bit down on it. But it has changed, and not for the better.

Regardless, I do see some of your points. We’ll just agree to disagree on a few of the others.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 PM
jvj

4 posts, read 31,205 times
Default Paranoid

Wow, I live in Newark. And based on your response, I'll never set foot in Linden. How can people be so fear-filled? I guess it's from watching too much local nightly news. THat will make you afraid of your next door neighbor, regardless of where you live.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,494 times
jvj- I totally agree with you.

I am originally from Elizabeth. Most people have such a bad opinion of Elizabeth and I think it's fine. It's a good start. I lived there for 30 yrs and survived it. I never saw a shootings or any crimes for that matter. There are better part in every city. Though I wasn't in the best part, I also wasn't in the worst. People make things so much bigger than they are.

Of course, you always want to do better. Therefore, I don't live there anymore and bought my first house, in my 30's, further south. Not everyone has the typical life and have to start somewhere. Elizabeth, Linden, and similar towns are fine.

I hope that those of you that were harsh on these towns didn't scare away the girl who posted the question. Unless she was in the worst part of Linden, she will be just fine- especially for the 6 months she needed to live there.

I don't remember your ID Name but please let us know how Linden turned out- if you did move there. If not, what did you decide on and how do you like it?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:43 PM

6 posts, read 13,985 times
I would break linden down into three parts.
1/3- decent neighborhoods, OK homes. I have lots of family in this part of Linden, and they have been there for a while. Some of them are very successful and own homes in other places (poconos), but choose to stay in Linden because, frankly, there is now real reason to leave. Some people are a little strange, though. stereotypical city/nj people.

1/3- a little sketchy. My dad grew up in a neighborhood that is now in this category. His dad still lives there, he's 86 and has been robbed a few times. he will die there, because he knows no other place. I would never feel safe there, but he does. The schools are awful, my dad went to a catholic school, and was WAY better off for it. I guess this area is known as the "Central Ward".

1/3- HOLY **** lets get out of here. Seriously, there are places where you could get killed/car jacked/mugged and who knows what else. Drugs control the street. My mom witnessed a murder at a drug store, where a guy got gunned down walking out the door. I think this part borders roselle and/or elizabeth, two other towns that I would be caught dead in.

Overall, linden is a pretty big town. If you find a spot in the good neighborhood i was talking about, go for it. just don't venture too far.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 PM

220 posts, read 701,468 times
how is the area of Dennis Place and route 1/9.. is this one of the better areas? or a hell hole? its just east of the mars distribution plant..

im planning on buying a multi-family there while residing in it.. the other threads have said linden's long-term prospects don't look good... nevertheless how is this specific area of linden?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:02 PM

Some posters are just ignorant. Being tough and wanting a good place to live are two totally different things. Yeah, I was born and raised in Elizabeth, too. And I can (and have) handled my business in Elizabeth, Linden, Newark, Jersey City, etc. But that doesn't mean I'd want to live there or raise a family there. The truth is Elizabeth has been in decline for 10 years, and, with a few exceptions, is now one of the dirtiest cities in New Jersey. Linden used to be a nice, small town with some bad parts. Now it's just as dirty as Elizabeth, with the exception of Sunnyside and the area bordering Cranford. And the public schools are God awful. So yeah, odds are you won't get stabbed or shot in these towns, but you will ll be living amongst trash and your kids will grow up to be imbeciles. Enjoy!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 AM

14 posts, read 31,955 times
Wow, crazy to see my hometown discussed in such an uber-unflattering manner. I grew up in Linden, attended public school for all 12 years and my immediate family still resides there (meaning, I'm there each weekend). I most certainly did not turn out to be an "imbecile"; in fact, quite the contrary. I went on to earn a degree from a respected college and am doing more than okay for myself. I'm sure my LHS classmates who went on to Cornell, Columbia, Brown, and MIT would agree that Linden, as most towns, are what you make of them. Family values and parental involvement are THE most important factors to a child's success, irrespective of where you are raised. Now, I must note that I grew up in Sunnyside, which was then and still is a safe, well-kept neighborhood. However, my friends were from all over the city and not every high-achieving person came from that one particular neighborhood. So.. I appreciate the concern being as how the perception of Linden certainly isn't on par with Cranford, Westfield or some other higher-end towns in the area, and does have some non-attractive industrial areas/rough neighborhoods. But- to read this discussion you would think the entirety of Linden is instead on par with Camden. Sunnyside flows seamlessly into Cranford and Clark -- it is just as peaceful and attractive. Personally, if I were considering a move to Linden I would focus on that neighborhood as it is the most suburban and aesthetically pleasing. However, aside from some obviously unattractive and unsafe areas (which you will not accidentally stumble in to, trust me) your experience in the town will be what you make of it. If Linden is what you can afford, you will survive and thrive there. And assuming your family values are solid, I'll bet your children will not turn out to be imbeciles, either.
Have a good day.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BeMoving View Post
Wow, crazy to see my hometown discussed in such an uber-unflattering manner. I grew up in Linden, attended public school for all 12 years and my immediate family still resides there (meaning, I'm there each weekend). I most certainly did not turn out to be an "imbecile"; in fact, quite the contrary. I went on to earn a degree from a respected college and am doing more than okay for myself. I'm sure my LHS classmates who went on to Cornell, Columbia, Brown, and MIT would agree that Linden, as most towns, are what you make of them. Family values and parental involvement are THE most important factors to a child's success, irrespective of where you are raised. Now, I must note that I grew up in Sunnyside, which was then and still is a safe, well-kept neighborhood. However, my friends were from all over the city and not every high-achieving person came from that one particular neighborhood. So.. I appreciate the concern being as how the perception of Linden certainly isn't on par with Cranford, Westfield or some other higher-end towns in the area, and does have some non-attractive industrial areas/rough neighborhoods. But- to read this discussion you would think the entirety of Linden is instead on par with Camden. Sunnyside flows seamlessly into Cranford and Clark -- it is just as peaceful and attractive. Personally, if I were considering a move to Linden I would focus on that neighborhood as it is the most suburban and aesthetically pleasing. However, aside from some obviously unattractive and unsafe areas (which you will not accidentally stumble in to, trust me) your experience in the town will be what you make of it. If Linden is what you can afford, you will survive and thrive there. And assuming your family values are solid, I'll bet your children will not turn out to be imbeciles, either.
Have a good day.
Again, you were born and raised in Sunnyside -- by FAR the best section of Linden ... that makes quite a difference. And may I ask, when did you leave? I will bet you any amount of money it was 5+ years ago. And, lastly, would you say Linden (on a whole) has improved or regressed in the last 5 years??

I'm not saying Linden is Camden, by any stretch. Hell, Elizabeth, Newark, JC, Paterson, even Roselle and Hillside, are worse than Linden, IMHO. What I am saying is Linden is a town that's been declining for at least 5 yeas now (if not more). For example, the two bodies found in trash bags on a neighborhood sidewalk just a few months ago. How about Linden public schools recent abysmal ratings. So you're trying to say this is still the nice town it was 10-15 years ago? I call BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey