Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:07 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times

Advertisements

Since I have moved out of Bergen County, Northern BC, and this may seem strange but I have made 2 really close friends at the age of 41. One girl lives in ANdover and the other is a guy who is across the block from me. We have been doing all sorts of things that I never would have experienced in Hillsdale. I tried to make friends in Hillsdale, just was not happening, they were so busy either working or with kids constantly and I was not in that mother loop.

Funny today, one of the friends said can I come to the gym with you. So we went and spotted each other. I am feeling very closer to people and having a positive healthy relationship with two people for the first time in my life as friends. This is great!!

How many of you have made close friendship by moving???? Of course this excludes High school and early childhood friends. But after 30 it almost seemed impossible to establish NEW friendships. I really am very happy that two people in 6 months have entered and are proving to be good friends.

the post with the title friends got me thinking and that how this post started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 03:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
I understand what your saying but sometimes the more friends you have the more problems you have.

It is good to have a good neighbor or 2 to look out for your home when you go away though.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:01 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
I've made more friends since my kids started school. One lives just a few doors away! I just love her to death; she's always there for me. It's nice to help each other and have a good support system. Most of my neighbors are really nice; they'll do anything for you. I hope we find people like this when we move.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:06 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
I moved to a great block, made alot of friends we had a great Christmas party, a block party, lots of picnics already and dinners out.....we are planning a camping trip on the Delaware. I also made friends at my new job ......Still it is nice to go back and visit my other firneds we are still very close to. Wish you luck!!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:30 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,789 times
Interesting topic... I, too, have made great friends since moving 2 years ago.

Although, its very different when you have kids. Most of my "new" friends are parents of my kids' friends. It's just so much "easier" to be friends with people who live close by and who have something in common with you. It's also much easier to get together when you can bring kids along, knowing that they too are going to have fun with their friends.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:40 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
I moved to a great block, made alot of friends we had a great Christmas party, a block party, lots of picnics already and dinners out.....we are planning a camping trip on the Delaware. I also made friends at my new job ......Still it is nice to go back and visit my other firneds we are still very close to. Wish you luck!!
oh stop it mary, you know that doesn't happen in NJ - we're all rude arrogant a'holes, only out for ourselves, LOL.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:50 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
I am one of those people that has no time for friends. MY friends are you type people on the internet that keep me entertained while I look over server stas and penetration percentages and blah blah blah computer crap all day. Then I go home to my wife and son and try to spend an hour or 2 with them before crashing and starting the next day over again at 5am. Weekends are for chilling with my son, housefixing, ticking things off the honey-do lists, getting 8 hours of sleep Vs 5-6. Good, Close, do things with, best friends types would cut into the list of things I already dont have time to do. (sorry, im a bit grumpy today)

Old 07-09-2008, 04:57 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
oh stop it mary, you know that doesn't happen in NJ - we're all rude arrogant a'holes, only out for ourselves, LOL.
Lol Tahiti, cmon now you were one f those free loaders that dropped in on our block party now weren't ya?? Seriously I did move in with a bunch of great people they are the best but to be honest at times I wouldnt mine a little alone time and they do get offended, so I pretend to leave to visit family.......shhhhhh. Hey Labor Day I will invite you how is that? And I am gonna get Wiley's butt here for it also!!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 PM

148 posts, read 639,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I am one of those people that has no time for friends. MY friends are you type people on the internet that keep me entertained while I look over server stas and penetration percentages and blah blah blah computer crap all day. Then I go home to my wife and son and try to spend an hour or 2 with them before crashing and starting the next day over again at 5am. Weekends are for chilling with my son, housefixing, ticking things off the honey-do lists, getting 8 hours of sleep Vs 5-6. Good, Close, do things with, best friends types would cut into the list of things I already dont have time to do. (sorry, im a bit grumpy today)
i hope not from my thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:28 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
i hope not from my thread
Nope, going away on business for 10 days and not looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey