Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The Bendix diner is a classic and I love going there for a Taylor Ham, Egg, and Cheese w/ a side of hash ("burn it" - well done) - it is a slice of heaven on a greasy spoon!

It's also historic, as it was where they filmed the Bounty commercials with Rosie - "The quicker-picker-upper!" I believe there is more historic significance but it doesn't come to mind right now.

I go there late at night, usually after partying in the city, as it's on my way home, and usually there is a guy there named "Johnny" who is blind. He is amazing, he knows where everything is and he gets around no problem, and he's one of the better servers I've had in any diner. I don't know how their other food is, but they seem to have a crowd of regulars that likes it, and a lot of truckers do stop here, too.
the bendix diner is indeed a classic, old-school railcar diner and a throwback to the WWII era.

at night, the setting and atmosphere of the diner are straight out of an noir film. for me, this is the most appealing aspect of the place. it seems like several times each year, some commercial or tv show was filmed there. no surprise given its great location right next to teterboro airport and only 10 miles from midtown.

the food isn't the greatest, though. the basics like THEC are fine, but i wouldn't bother with anything else on the menu. it's the type of place where i'd go with a friend at 3 in the morning and just sit and talk with a cup of coffee. i grew up near there, so it was the closest and most low-key diner where i didn't have to order that much if i wasn't hungry (as opposed to some of the "fancier" diners in the area, which sometimes have per person minimums).

the last time i was at bendix was about 3 years ago; i imagine it's the same as ever. and i remember the blind guy! good to hear that he's still there. when i first encountered him at the diner, i was worried that he might be taken advantage of by some of the rougher elements who used to come into the place late at night, but everyone seems to respect him.

and yes, this place is a major stop for truckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 PM

18 posts, read 70,523 times
The Roxbury Diner on Route 10 in Succasunna.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
I have to concur with Bendix and Al's - J.C.
But I want to add, back in the day Bond's on Springfield Ave, Short Hills (old Rt. 24). The had a milk shake called an AwefulAweful. And some contest if you drank 2 you got a 3rd free, or 3 and got 4.
Then what about Jahn's in Union? I haven't lived in Jersey since 95, so I'm not sure about these places.
What about Don's on S. Orange Ave. Livingston? The had a thing called a "lime ricky" to die for, and the best homemade kosher dill pickles and peppers in a bowl on the table to nosh on. The burgers and their bakery stuff was HEAVEN! I remember going there back before the road St. Barnabas is on was just dirt going toward Livingston Center and the roller skating rink.
Oh and there was a dive in Port Elizabeth, 1/2 was a "go-go" bar for truckers hold-up in the port waiting overnight for there load, but the front part was just a dumpy diner, with a big slab of giro meat hanging on it's stick, and some of the best burgers and fries.
Then there was a place in S. Kearny that was really a beer joint for the local fisherman, sawdust on the floor, with a few tables besides the bar area, who served huge plates of boiled, unpeeled shrimp with cocktail sauce. Or a bucket of clams, or mussels. As you peeled or opened them, the shells went on the floor and would be swept up now and again. A whole meal would be a couple of buck and beer was $.25.
And many years ago, there was a tiny hole in the wall in Millburn center called Cole's owned by a many called Cookie. He had an off the boat German woman cook daily specials in the back, and it was like your own mama was back there. But the best food I remember at that age was the french fries though. That place was there when my dad was a kid. (he's 78 now). It was 2 doors before the movie theater. I remember they had little blue glass bottle of BromoSeltzer for upset stomachs.
There also used to be an Ice Cream Palor up Springfield Ave. Maplewood that had some good sandwiches, and the place up in S. Orange center-Grunnings?
Does anyone know if any of these are still around, except for Bonds, of course.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 AM

129 posts, read 380,511 times
Tick Tock and Menlo Park Diner!

Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,085 times
Default Als is next to the collenet diner

Go and taste those burgers delicious!

Old 11-02-2009, 06:36 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,057 times
I'm gonna go with Top's in East Newark, Saddle Brook Diner in Saddle Brook, and the Americana Diner in East Windsor.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:47 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Ponzios Diner in Cherry Hill

Ponzios - Not Your Typical Diner!
I agree, I really do like Ponzios!

My BF and I are really big on the Stratford Diner.. even though it's been awhile since we have been there.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:55 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,065 times
My favorites are the Morristown Diner, the Nautilus Diner in Madison, and the Red Hawk Diner on the Montclair State campus.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
White Manna - Hackensack, NJ

Went there for years....going way back too! They have different owners though. Same small burgers!
Oh my, next time I'm in NY I have to go to NJ to have a few of these

There is nothing like this in Charlotte County ( SW Fla )

Old 11-03-2009, 01:25 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Oh my, next time I'm in NY I have to go to NJ to have a few of these

There is nothing like this in Charlotte County ( SW Fla )
My brother-in-law lives in Ft. Myers and he says there are several there.

There are none in the Ocala area, either (where we're moving in a couple of weeks) -- they don't even know what diners are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey