Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:49 PM

20 posts, read 179,767 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I found this site so was hoping to share and perhaps get some information clarified. I did search but didnt find any recent threads.. so here goes

Recently moved to lovely Monroe Township, NJ (aka Jamesburg) , and just wanted to clarify my options for PT in getting to Manhattan (Pref lower manhattan)

I am looking for option where I can leave here between 10am-12pm, and return between 5pm-7pm from Manhattan.

I know theres the Coach Bus at 8a, but god is there website awful. Problem is I dont believe theres any buses leaving after 9am and honestly, I do not like buses (sitting in traffic, and the stop and go)

Train wise, correct me if Im wrong but there are no trains here =)

But if I wanted to take one, what would be the closest and would have parking. Someone mention to drive up to Metropark, but im thinking at that rate.. Ill just drive to the city .

Appreciate your feedback, suggestions and humor. This town is quiet, one of the reasons why I moved here but man, would they please just vote on the TRAIN already =)

Thanks in advance for your time and help, enjoy the rest of the week

Hoping for some good suggestions, I honestly dont mind the drive to another station or so, or even a ferry (do we have those things here??)

ahhh.. this might be hopeless

night all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:57 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times
I take it you have no car. If you did, I'd recommend the Jersey Avenue or Princeton Junction train station. Those are the closest train options. I'm not sure if there are buses that go between Monroe and the train stations, but to be honest, with the senior population there, I'd be shocked if there wasn't..

Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Actually I have a car, so I dont mind the drive

Im looking into Princeton Junction, but was concerned with the parking. Its looks like PJ is closer..

thanks for the input though, will be glad to share back what I find tomorrow.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
Princeton Junction would be your best bet. Take a drive over there during the day and see what the parking situation is though. There are commuter lots, but I think there is also a daily pay option. Nice safe area and the trains run all day/hours.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrz View Post
Actually I have a car, so I dont mind the drive

Im looking into Princeton Junction, but was concerned with the parking. Its looks like PJ is closer..

thanks for the input though, will be glad to share back what I find tomorrow.
Parking at the PJ station is a HUGE problem. The wait list for permit parking is several years long and the daily spots fill up quickly, so your 10am departure time will be a problem.

This is now complicated by the construction at the bridge on Alexander Rd. The bridge is closed for replacement and the traffic congestion in and around the station is pretty bad.

Have you tried this?
Middlesex County, Park and Ride Locator, Ridesharing, Commuter Information (http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/rideshare/prmiddle.shtm - broken link)

Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 AM

144 posts, read 449,187 times
Jersey Ave has a waiting list for monthly parking also, prob from 6 months to a year. New Brunswick might be another option but all the trains go into Penn station.

I used to take the NJ Transit bus from the old Pelican Mall @ the gas station on rt. 18.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 AM

Crap , wells thanks again for all your help

I may just drive up to Metropark Station, bit far but they have parking at least.

Appreciate all your help, and will definitely find out and see if any of those situations have changed, and update you all

Thanks everyone

Old 11-05-2010, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 43,008 times
Hi - There are buses that will take you from Monroe Township to NYC Port Authority (about 45mins to one hour) and then you can get a train to lower Manhattan. Stops are Park & Ride on Route 130 and the Wawa bus stop as well as in front of Rossmoor, Greenbriar and Clearbrook. That is if you did not want to drive to West Windsor/Princeton Junction Station.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
I really do not think that any of the options posted really will have parking at the time you want it. I would be tempted to tell you to drive all the way to Jersey City and take the path. At 10am, the traffic is not too bad. If you are heading home at your earlier time (5pm), it might be a problem, but if you are leaving the city at 7pm, and then get to your car around 7:30pm, the drive shouldn't be that bad (unless an earlier accident caused a lot of problems). You can always get parking in a deck in JC. Might not be right next to the path station, but close enough.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 10,308 times
What bus can I take from Monroe township in NJ to Port Authority in Manhattan NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey