Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 44,289 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get my bathtub re-glazed(resurfaced/refinished whatever you want to call it) pretty soon.

Has anyone had this done recently?

Who did you use? and how did you feel about the company you used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,754 times
I used bathcrest in bergen county and I could not be more unhappy with their service. Whatever you do, do NOT use them, it is a national company (I think) and they have installers everywhere, my installer was a nightmare. Lets just say that the first time he came was in late April and to this day my tub is not the way he promised nor the way I expected and I have not been contacted, good thing I cancelled the check I gave him immediately after inspecting the tub.

Now the whole process as a whole seems shaky. Reglazing just means spray painting white paint onto what is there, from what I understand. If I had to do it all over again, I would have went with a new tub, believe it or not it would probably cost me the same amount.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 AM

8 posts, read 44,289 times
I called one place about a month ago and I was quoted 750$ to refinish the bathtub and the tile surround. That number seems to be a lot less that it would cost for me to have the tub replaced. Since taking out this tub will mean tearing down a good chunk of the tiles surrounding the tub.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:23 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,754 times
In your situation, yes that may have been cheaper. Not mine, i was doing a complete bathroom remodel, minus the stupid tub, with all work being done by myself and my dad. In this case it would have been the cost of a bathtub and a few hours of work. The only reason I did not change the tub was because I read nightmares trying to get these things out. I hear they're like a gazillion pounds and to take them out you have to break them apart with a sledge hammer causing ungodly noise and sharp shards.

Whatever you choose stay away from bathcrest. They offer a warranty but what good is that if you can't get in touch with them. My quote/job was $500.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:31 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
We had our bathtub re-glazed (again) about 8 years ago. We used a company from Ewing called American Bath and Kitchen Refinishers. They sprayed epoxy I think, it was pretty toxic stuff, he had fans blowing the fumes out of the house. It cost us around 300, so far we've been pleased.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,908 times
I would not do this, unless it is a bathtub that does not get used much, and or you are planing on just moving out and selling the place. The finish you get is not as good as on a new tub, and very much is not as durable. I had this done in my previous house, as we redid the tile and managed to scratch up the tub which was not coming out of that bathroom for anything.

First thing the guy said when he was done was, never use ajax or comit on the tub again as it will scratch this new finish. The other thing he said was the finish likely will last 5 to 10 years depending on how much use it gets.

Needless to say, I was not very pleased with the results.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,901 times
Default Quote on James Boyer Re: Bath Refinishers Central NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
I would not do this, unless it is a bathtub that does not get used much, and or you are planing on just moving out and selling the place. The finish you get is not as good as on a new tub, and very much is not as durable. I had this done in my previous house, as we redid the tile and managed to scratch up the tub which was not coming out of that bathroom for anything.

First thing the guy said when he was done was, never use ajax or comit on the tub again as it will scratch this new finish. The other thing he said was the finish likely will last 5 to 10 years depending on how much use it gets.

Needless to say, I was not very pleased with the results.
I have to agree with you James with the fact that the finish is not as good as the original fired surface and if I had a choice to replace the fixture versus reglazing, I would surely replace the fixture providing I had the financial ability. But, tub reglazing is a great alternative to those who cannot afford to remove and completely replace the fixture and it is surely a better alternative to tub liners as they have a tendency to accumulate water under the liner and that water becomes stagnant after awhile.

I also have to note that tub reglazing has to be done right the first time and this makes a difference between your finish lasting 10 years or 10 days. There are many beginners out there who don't understand the proper process and they set out in business unknowing and this unfortunately causes most of the misconceptions about tub reglazing. It is important to understand the process because it is not just simply spray painting a tub.

My recommendation to anyone thinking about tub reglazing is to research it completely, get multiple quotes, check references and don't take the lowest quote. Also, you may take this link down but, this is a great place to get information about bathtub refinishing and the correct processes involved... braoa.org/forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey