Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:19 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Sooooooo jealous. The folks here in Colorado think they have good corn. I can barely call it corn when I think about Jersey corn.

Don't even get me started on the tomatoes...

Hahahaha, that's how it is here is Pa with the pizza, people from Pa think they have good pizza, it's soooooooooooo nasty, they put american cheese on it, oh it's a mess!!!!!! I'm from Jersey and i know good pizza and tomatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:21 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
ok....i'm going to be banished from the board, but....

i hate beer. i mean...i LOATHE beer....

that being said, and me running for cover.....

can you taste the beer when you cook it this way? i have to say this sounds tres interesting though....
We'll both be banished cause I don't like beer either. No you can't taste the beer when you finish cooking. It seems to add moisture but the taste of the beer and alcohol "burn off".

Old 08-08-2008, 08:23 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Hahahaha, that's how it is here is Pa with the pizza, people from Pa think they have good pizza, it's soooooooooooo nasty, they put american cheese on it, oh it's a mess!!!!!! I'm from Jersey and i know good pizza and tomatoes.
I found a couple of places with good pizza but none as good as from Jersey (I'm a transplant from Jersey to Scranton).

Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:

can you taste the beer when you cook it this way? i have to say this sounds tres interesting though....
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
We'll both be banished cause I don't like beer either. No you can't taste the beer when you finish cooking. It seems to add moisture but the taste of the beer and alcohol "burn off".
Unbelievable! How can you not like beer? Where's Wiley, she is going to have a fit.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:28 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Unbelievable! How can you not like beer? Where's Wiley, she is going to have a fit.
Sorry... I just can't believe this blasfamy (sp)... beer haters in MY NJ FORUM! Actually..it's ok calico...more for us redneck alkies to enjoy

Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
Quote:

You don't like the beer food group ?? WOW...

no it dosen't taste like beer..

I don't think the beer adds to the mosture per se ...that's from the process
(I'd always opt for a steaming rather than boiling)

the alchol obviously cooks off...

But...the sugars left behind seem to add to the carmelization effect.. (as with most things a matter of personal taste)

get some different corn holders so folks don't know what's what (except for the final prep person) and try different things..
blind taste tests...nearly always fun

excluding the beer this was from a very old Boy Scout camping manual...(pre Al. Foil)

The beer was from...well that's a whole lot foggier..

the pre buttering thing is something I never tried...but will...same process tho...should add a bit of nuttiness to the flavor (browned butter)

I've also taken ears , chopped into 1/2 or 1/3s and done different things. a pinch of Old bay, or a pinch of cayenne pepper, Morroco type things (cinnamin !), Cacuan spices etc

A word...lots of that stuff already contains lots O salt...taste B4 u salt more..

Hey Wiley.. I LOL at ur LOL line

I AM stealing it...it's good..

Last edited by JBrown; 08-08-2008 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
Hunter's Farm in Cinnaminson has the best corn. Woot!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:02 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
No, don't do that and am almost embarrassed to say I only use "I can't believe it's not butter light". Any way BF only uses real butter and is a huge fan of "gravy bread". Whenever there is left over gravy from whatever, he takes out bread (sometimes toasts it) and loads it up with gravy. Says it's the best.
I'm a "Can't believer" too! Here's what I do to butter the corn. I buy the spray, but, I pour some into a corn holder (you know, those yellow trays) and then, I just roll the corn around in the butter. yummy

I remember when I was a kid and had braces and I couldn't eat corn on the cob, so my mom would slice it off. Tasted really good that way too.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
I just boiled 12 pieces from Stop & Shop. 12 for 1.99 can't beat it. Jersey White corn, I just smothered it in butter. Clogged up my arteries but it sure tasted good.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:58 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I just boiled 12 pieces from Stop & Shop. 12 for 1.99 can't beat it. Jersey White corn, I just smothered it in butter. Clogged up my arteries but it sure tasted good.
Glad you enjoyed it. I rarely buy corn at the supermarket, never tastes as good as the farm. However, a couple weeks ago, as a matter of convenience, I picked up a couple ears at Shop Rite. They had a sign over it saying "from a local" farm. Since I'm practically surrounded by corn fields, I figured...ooh it's probably good. Well, it tasted like dirty dishwater....must have been picked many days before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey