Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 PM

563 posts, read 1,286,521 times

Advertisements

THIS IS IMPORTANT, PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT

SEMA Model Legislation in New Jersey

Establishes a motor vehicle registration for STREET RODS and CUSTOM MOTOR VEHICLES

ATTENTION ALL NJ CAR ENTHUSIASTS!!!!!
Support is required to insure the passage of Legislation that will establish a category for titling and registration of Street Rods and Custom Motor Vehicles, including Replicas. This Legislation will allow the continuation of the custom car hobby in NJ. Currently, there is NO classification for these vehicles. This call to action is to all car enthusiasts in NJ.

HIGHLIGHTS

This means your Cobra/ Hot Rod will be titled as a 1965.(making it more marketable should you ever decide to sell) You will be able to put ANY engine in it. There will be no restrictions on mileage..

It seems we are making traction in the Senate but we really need a lot more pressure in the Assembly.

Take the 10 minutes to send out e-mails and make phone calls.

Full Bills here:
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bi...00/2074_I1.PDF Senate version
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bi...00/2836_I1.PDF Assembly version

This legislation is fully supported and backed by SEMA Action Network (SAN)
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.asp...ANcom/HomePage

The SEMA Legislation was submitted to the New Jersey Assembly and Senate in June of 2008. It has been sitting in committee since, with NO ACTION. If nothing is done THIS YEAR this legislation will die.

NJ car enthusiasts need to e-mail the chairs of these committees and urge that these bills be posted for a committee vote as soon as possible. Don’t miss this opportunity to save our hobby !!

NJ car enthusiasts, please consider asking friends and family and acquaintances to support your interest! Forward this to them and encourage their support!

Please take the time to e-mail and call these chairmen.

Sen. Nicholas Sacco Chair Transportation Committee
(201) 295-0200
9060 Palisade Ave.
North Bergen, NJ 07047
E-mail sensacco@njleg.org Bill S2074

Example:

I support Bill S2074 which establishes motor vehicle registration for street rods and custom motor vehicles and urge that you post this bill for a committee vote as soon as possible.

Your Name and Address

Assemblyman Gordon Johnson Chair Law and Public Safety Committee
(201) 541-1118
1 Engle St., Suite 108,
Englewood, NJ 07631
E-mail asmjohnson@njleg.org Bill A2836

Example:
I support A2836 which establishes motor vehicle registration for street rods and custom motor vehicles and urge that you post this bill for a committee vote as soon as possible.

Your Name and Address

As important as it is to contact the chairs of these committees it is EQUALY important to contact the sponsor of these bill and your local legislative Representative. To these people simply write the following:

I support Bill S2074 which establishes motor vehicle registration for street rods and custom motor vehicles and am offering my encouragement for you to have Senator Sacco place this Bill on the agenda of the Transportation Committee. Please consider becoming a co-sponsor of this bill.

Thank you for your continued support.

Name and Address

Senator Paul Sarlo Sponsor Bill S2074
(201) 804-8118
207 Hackensack St., 2nd Floor,
Wood-Ridge, NJ 07075
E-mail sensarlo@njleg.org

And your local senator
SEMA Action Network - Auto enthusiasts protecting our hobby :: Legislators (http://www.semasan.com/san/ContactYourLegislator.aspx - broken link)

I support Bill A2836 which establishes motor vehicle registration for street rods and custom motor vehicles and am offering my encouragement for you to have Assemblyman Gordon Johnson place this Bill on the agenda of the Law and Public Safety Committee. Please consider becoming a co-sponsor of this bill.

Thank you for your continued support.
Name and Address

Assemblywoman Charlotte Vandervalk Sponsor Bill A2836
(201) 666-0881
220 Kinderkamack Rd.
Suite E
Westwood, NJ 07675
E-mail aswvandervalk@njleg.org

And your local assemblymen
SEMA Action Network - Auto enthusiasts protecting our hobby :: Legislators (http://www.semasan.com/san/ContactYourLegislator.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:06 AM

854 posts, read 2,863,325 times
I'd be much more interested in getting rid of the stupid front license plate. i will refuse to put it on my new camaro this summer...

Old 01-24-2009, 10:25 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
I agree. In fact when we move next month to jersey I'm not putting on the front plate on my Mustang GT convertible either. Um and don't hold your breath for you Camaro. The company who supplies GM the interior material went bankrupt and GM is suing them. The Camaro is put on hold indefinetly..

Old 01-24-2009, 07:45 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,491 times
Default Front plate not "optional"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
I'd be much more interested in getting rid of the stupid front license plate. i will refuse to put it on my new camaro this summer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I agree. In fact when we move next month to jersey I'm not putting on the front plate on my Mustang GT convertible either. Um and don't hold your breath for you Camaro. The company who supplies GM the interior material went bankrupt and GM is suing them. The Camaro is put on hold indefinetly..
The front plate is not optional. If your car is registered in New Jersey and you don't display the front plate, I assure you that you will be ticketed quite quickly.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 PM

I know lots of other mustang owners who have been driving for years in jersey without a front tag and never got ticketed. besides my car is a fair weather car and only put 1000 miles a year on it and im older.. My odds are real good i won't get ticketed.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:50 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
THIS IS IMPORTANT, PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT

SEMA Model Legislation in New Jersey

Establishes a motor vehicle registration for STREET RODS and CUSTOM MOTOR VEHICLES......
That's good news! My friend had to jump through hoops to title and register his Superformance Cobra.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:02 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I know lots of other mustang owners who have been driving for years in jersey without a front tag and never got ticketed. besides my car is a fair weather car and only put 1000 miles a year on it and im older.. My odds are real good i won't get ticketed.
When you "move next month to Jersey," it's fair to assume that you will register your car in New Jersey, yes? If you're car is NJ registered and you fail to display the front tag, you will be ticketed.

Don't take my word for it. Ask around at your New Jersey car club.
Hey 86Sebring... any input on this?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:34 AM

I've been showing various car for 30 years so I know plenty of car show people. All the Vette guys run no tag and a lot of the Mustang guys as well as many, many others.. All ticket free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
When you "move next month to Jersey," it's fair to assume that you will register your car in New Jersey, yes? If you're car is NJ registered and you fail to display the front tag, you will be ticketed.

Don't take my word for it. Ask around at your New Jersey car club.
Hey 86Sebring... any input on this?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,521 times
I have only the rear license plate mounted on my Cobra, haven't gotten a ticket yet. If there is a bracket for the front plate, I would use it.
The Cobra really doesn't have any place to mount the license up front short of blocking the radiator inlet and that is a nono with the big block.
cheers

Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
I can vouch for the front plate ticket deal. When I bought my Magnum in 2005, the front plate bracket was in the trunk, so I never bothered to put it on. About a year later I got pulled over by a bored Bedminster cop and ticketed for it. That's not to say that it'll happen to everyone running without a plate, but it definitely happens. I tried the "there's no place to mount it" bit (there's no visible location if you don't put the bracket on), but that didn't fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey