Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:26 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

He has to see the doctor because he is taking hardcore drugs, prescribed or not. People take these drugs and sell them on the street. thats why he cant get a 90 day prescription without going to the doctor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:26 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
It all depends on your doctor and the relationship you have. I used to take a relaxer drug to do my rescue at a kill shelter...without it I could not even go in! He is not the type of doc you have to keep going back to! He is old school! He was my family doc for many years. Did you try calling your old doc in Ma? Explain your situation. He might call something in temporarily.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:24 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Stevemorse is absolutely correct. You can get 90 day scripts from NJ doctors. My wife and I do regularly. It's never a problem.

However, your son's doctor may have a good reason for not giving him a 90 day supply. You reference psychotic and mood altering drugs. With these drugs, the potential for abuse/misuse is enormous. The doctor (especially if your son is a new patient of his) may require a monthly visit until Doc knows his patient well enough to issue him a larger prescription.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:40 PM

392 posts, read 1,539,518 times
get a new doctor

Old 08-23-2008, 05:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ987654 View Post
get a new doctor
Definitely agree! The "doctor" obviously is in the medical field for the money. He probably fell asleep during the oath. Just because he has a certificate on his wall and MD after his name doesn't qualify him as competent.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:18 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekids View Post
I know this may sound like a strange question, but when we lived in ma my son (who takes meds for anxiety disorder) would get a 3 month supply from dr. since he has been here (he is 26) he can't get more than one month. his dr charges (he has no insurance) him $120 everytime he sees him and then he has to pay for rx on top. does this sound right. why can't dr give him 3 month. this is meds he will take the rest of his life. does anyone have info on how my son might get medical assistance? any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.
First, how long has your son been seeing this Dr?

I can tell you that drug laws in NJ are getting bad. It's been like this for a few years. I'm on meds for my back, couldn't find a doctor to even prescribe for me and I don't take a lot compared to some people I know (I take 75% less then them). The Dr I was seeing was an hour ride 1 way, by the time I waited, drove to the pharmacy & home I was gone all day so I was looking for someone closer; ended up having to move.

There are a lot of people getting drugs/meds and abusing/selling them, so doctors in NJ have to cover their butts. Think Anna Nicole Smith, and since her death, it's probably gotten worst. While I understand your frustration, you have to understand this Dr doesn't really know your son and has to make sure that the drugs he is on are right for him. Eventually he will probably release him, seeing him every 6 months but while he is a newer patient he has to cover his butt.

I'm pretty sure there is a page online about what drugs are considered narcotics. At one time I did research. Talk to the pharmacy, they should be able to tell you if they are allowed to fill a 3 month script on it because they may not be allowed.

Once you talk to the pharmacy, ask the Dr if he even writes 3 month scripts, if he doesn't, there is your answer and it's time to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Thanks for the link. I'll have to look into it as well although I doubt they have my meds. Last time I did something like that they didn't.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:17 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
however most of those drugs honestly are more narco based. XANAX IS REALLY NOT A HARDCORE DRUG problem lies in that speed freaks love it to calm down after the crack runs out, and heroin addicts like it to get more zoned off heroin. I do think xanax is one of the top 5 most prescribed drugs in the country if not #1! So really this doctor is an ass. If he was asking for pain pills thats a whole different ball game. Many and I mean many people need xanax to function. It helps depression, anxiety, adult add, obsessive complusive disorder and panic attacks. These are illnesses that people need this drug to just get out of bed to be normal, its really not an abuse situation here. Thats why we have drugs like this TO HELP PEOPLE! So he need to talk to doctor or find a new one. Just knowing your running out of a medication you NEED can make a panic attack. Its not really right.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:02 AM

72 posts, read 293,006 times
Default thanks

Thank you again for all the info. my son has been seeing dr. for about one year. he is ok with going to see him every month to be monitored etc. but at $120.00 knowing he has no insurance. you would think he could cut him a break. he has an appointment to see someone this week someone who was referred to him by my dr. hopefully this dr will be more reasonable. he has been dealing with anxiety/depression since he was 10 years old. has finally gotten the needed medication that works for him and it is such a chore get it at a reasoanalbe cost. (dr not meds) he lives with me so I am pretty sure he is not selling on street. And trust me I have been thru everything with this kid and he is finally on track and it is because I am "an in your face supportive, don't take any crap from him" mom. I wish this site was around when he was a teenager. That was a loooooong haul.
thanks again.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Every drug is on a 'schedule' with the DEA. Most of the scheduled drugs are highly restricted in their use and require special DEA certification on the part of the prescriber and require special, federally issued prescription pads, not plain, run-of-the-mill paper. These prescriptions are monitored by the state and federal governments.

There is so much fraud and abuse of these drugs and it's the responsibility of the prescriber to keep it out of the hands of those who would abuse it. Know this, it would be remiss of the prescriber NOT to see your son.

I'm sorry your son finds this a financial hardship, but even with the pharmaceutical programs for those in need, he still needs to be seen by the prescriber to obtain a prescription.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:35 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
however most of those drugs honestly are more narco based. XANAX IS REALLY NOT A HARDCORE DRUG problem lies in that speed freaks love it to calm down after the crack runs out, and heroin addicts like it to get more zoned off heroin. I do think xanax is one of the top 5 most prescribed drugs in the country if not #1! So really this doctor is an ass. If he was asking for pain pills thats a whole different ball game. Many and I mean many people need xanax to function. It helps depression, anxiety, adult add, obsessive complusive disorder and panic attacks. These are illnesses that people need this drug to just get out of bed to be normal, its really not an abuse situation here. Thats why we have drugs like this TO HELP PEOPLE! So he need to talk to doctor or find a new one. Just knowing your running out of a medication you NEED can make a panic attack. Its not really right.
Even if it is not considered hard core I don't doubt people sell it. It is the idiots that abuse prescription meds that make it hard for those of us that need it. My daughter is on something for ADD, of course some kids don't take the same med (which is available as a 3 month script) and sell it at school.

I can't stress how much it's changed in the last few years. I have seen one doctor for maybe 6 years now and still have to see him monthly to get my script. I've been on one med for a year or so and just found out that I am able to get a 3 month script that is refillable - no one told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekids View Post
Thank you again for all the info. my son has been seeing dr. for about one year. he is ok with going to see him every month to be monitored etc. but at $120.00 knowing he has no insurance. you would think he could cut him a break. he has an appointment to see someone this week someone who was referred to him by my dr. hopefully this dr will be more reasonable. he has been dealing with anxiety/depression since he was 10 years old. has finally gotten the needed medication that works for him and it is such a chore get it at a reasoanalbe cost. (dr not meds) he lives with me so I am pretty sure he is not selling on street. And trust me I have been thru everything with this kid and he is finally on track and it is because I am "an in your face supportive, don't take any crap from him" mom. I wish this site was around when he was a teenager. That was a loooooong haul.
thanks again.
I understand that your son is not abusing it and needs it to function but the fact is that doctors need to know a patient 1st because it is their medical license on the line.

What I would do is go to his next appointment with him and explain to the doctor he does not have insurance. Ask if they have a cash price. A lot of doctors do this. There is a post in the health section by Roma, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. If you read from the end to the front, it's one of the last 20 or 30 posts where someone explains how to go about doing this. If you need help finding it I can probably go and find it for you.

$120 is a lot of money, I know. My Dr is $125 per visit out of my pocket. Add to this my $500+ per month of meds cost (after insurance) and I was broke. My SSI just about covers my meds every month.

If your son changes doctors he may end up in the same situation where the Dr wants him to come back every month for a year until he gets to know him. I think I would see him one last time before switching. If he finds out your son went elsewhere, then back to him he may not see him or work with him. Tell the Dr, "my son has been coming to your for a year. By now you know him and khow these meds work for him. He is having problems coming up with the $120 per month. Is it ok to start seeing him every 3 or 6 months?"

btw, I think NJ has a health care plan for people that don't have one. Can't recall what it was called.
Does your son work? Can't he get insurance through work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: