Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:53 AM

72 posts, read 293,830 times

Advertisements

I know this may sound like a strange question, but when we lived in ma my son (who takes meds for anxiety disorder) would get a 3 month supply from dr. since he has been here (he is 26) he can't get more than one month. his dr charges (he has no insurance) him $120 everytime he sees him and then he has to pay for rx on top. does this sound right. why can't dr give him 3 month. this is meds he will take the rest of his life. does anyone have info on how my son might get medical assistance? any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 07:01 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,661,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekids View Post
I know this may sound like a strange question, but when we lived in ma my son (who takes meds for anxiety disorder) would get a 3 month supply from dr. since he has been here (he is 26) he can't get more than one month. his dr charges (he has no insurance) him $120 everytime he sees him and then he has to pay for rx on top. does this sound right. why can't dr give him 3 month. this is meds he will take the rest of his life. does anyone have info on how my son might get medical assistance? any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

What about that program that's out? Free meds for unisured? I'll see if I can find the website. Montel is a huge advocate for the program. $120 per visit! I say get another doctor. You son may also be on a drug that requires monitoring..to make sure he doesn't need larger doses or smaller doses, etc. Most anti-depressant drugs as closely monitored.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:06 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,944,273 times
If you don't mind saying what medication is he taking?

Old 08-23-2008, 07:22 AM

klonipin and xanax

Old 08-23-2008, 07:28 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,561,254 times
he can get it, tell the doctor you want a ninety day supply with 3 refills!!! Honestly I had many doctors do that he just wants his monthly fee. If the doctor wont do that and find out, go to a new one. I know many doctors who will, this is sheer robbery! Your insurance will not allow you to pick up more that one mounth at a time so after 30 days you can go to the pharmacy and get a refill however I know many people who take xanax, .025 as need which can be three times a day and get 90 pills for one month with 3 refills!!! This doctor sounds like he wants the office visits!!! By the way you cant get a rx filled without the dr. script, and you cant alter the script!! The doctor should be seeing him every six months!!!!! Sounds to me like you need to speak up!!! Please note that you can not instantly stop xanax, it could be serious! One should not be on xanax for the rest of their lives the most 3 years.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:41 AM

Thank you for the info. you have confirmed what i was thinking he just wants his office money of $120.00. my son has asked him to give him 3 month supply, he refuses. this is my son's concern that he can't cold turkey go off the xanax. he understands he needs to be monitered taking these. he has been on them for about a year and they are working very well. he has been on soooooo many different ones and always seemed to plateau, but now feels he is doing well. I think it is time to find a new dr. my son hopes to have insurance eventually, once he is done with school. but right now he is in school full time and works part-time so no coverage. and my husbands policy only covers to the age of 23. he will be done with school in about a year. he is covered from school but they are no help.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:52 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,561,254 times
xanax is a cheap drug in general! My mother is manic depressive she is on many drugs, lithium is a drug that needs to monitered, blood levels can be toxic. However you to a lab not even a doctor for that. The problem is the office visits, where is his area . I know tons of cool doctors who will help your son and not be so selfish. This is not a major issue, xanax is one of the most prescribed drugs!

Old 08-23-2008, 07:55 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,661,166 times
https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php

Old 08-23-2008, 08:07 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,944,273 times
I take Xanax (.5 Milligrams). My doctor gives me #90 pills with 4 refills. Send me a PM and I'll give you my doctor's name. He is in Kearny (Hudson County). If your son isn't in the area, it may still be worth the trip once in a while.

By the way I have health insurance, but my doctor doesn't accept my plan, but I still only go to him. It's worth the $80 per visit.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:20 AM

Thank you for all the helpful info, the meds he takes aren't expensive, very cheap actually. it is the process of seeing the $120 visit a month to the dr. to get rx. I will give him all this info and hopefully he will get a better dr. we are located in the middletown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: