Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 66,994 times

Advertisements

I live in Woodbridge and work in Parsippany, NJ. I know it's the same story that many tell, but the commute is slowly taking its toll and I'm looking to move to better my situation (i.e. bigger house, smaller town with less hussle, decent schools and possibly a better commute). 60+ minutes for a 33 mile drive to a house I can't even fit into, in a migrating community that's changing practically overnite.

We once contemplated on moving to the Nazareth Area in PA, but the drive wouldn't be worth the trade off. I'm in a pretty stable job so unfortunately I have to focus on living in the same area and communte destination of Rt.80 and Rt.287 like most everyone else, except I can't afford to live in Western Essex or Morris Counties. We have already ruled out Sussex Cty with all the conjection of Rt15 and 23.

We've done some research and came across some Wash/Oxford neighborhoods and the communities seem to be more close knit, better schools than where we are now and it's in proximity to Hackettstown which has all the big chain stores I would be lacking if I moved from central jersey. I also hear they are looking to revamp the downtown section which could boost the interest of in-town businesses.

Does anyone have any personal feedback on this area? Schools? Etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,292 times
sfxdj,

I know very litle about Oxford NJ but I did come across this a while back.

I am sure this would bother some and some it would not. Not to my taste though.

If this is deleted by the moderators I completely understand.

E

Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Oxford...#1 racist town in the state.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 PM

5 posts, read 66,994 times
Wow that's a shocker. I heard it's a small town, but that small...I wonder how old the picture is....if it's the 60's I can sort of picture it...maybe...but we've all come a long way from that rubbish. In anycase we are most interested in the Washington Twp/Boro area as well so feedback is much welcomed! Pos or Neg...

Old 02-03-2007, 08:56 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Google search...Picture is from August 2003

Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 22,975 times
Smile Moved three years ago

We moved from Union, Union County three years ago to Washington Boro. Although it took a little getting used to, the people are friendly and the homes are moderately priced.

The town is definitely on the upswing and the property will begin to skyrocket next year, I am sure. The redevelopment of the town, as well as the friendly nature of the people make it worth the short commute to the chain stores.

The pace is a tad slower than you are used to, and the high school could be better, but they are working on it. The high school is regional, but well equipped.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfxdj View Post
I live in Woodbridge and work in Parsippany, NJ. I know it's the same story that many tell, but the commute is slowly taking its toll and I'm looking to move to better my situation (i.e. bigger house, smaller town with less hussle, decent schools and possibly a better commute). 60+ minutes for a 33 mile drive to a house I can't even fit into, in a migrating community that's changing practically overnite.

We once contemplated on moving to the Nazareth Area in PA, but the drive wouldn't be worth the trade off. I'm in a pretty stable job so unfortunately I have to focus on living in the same area and communte destination of Rt.80 and Rt.287 like most everyone else, except I can't afford to live in Western Essex or Morris Counties. We have already ruled out Sussex Cty with all the conjection of Rt15 and 23.

We've done some research and came across some Wash/Oxford neighborhoods and the communities seem to be more close knit, better schools than where we are now and it's in proximity to Hackettstown which has all the big chain stores I would be lacking if I moved from central jersey. I also hear they are looking to revamp the downtown section which could boost the interest of in-town businesses.

Does anyone have any personal feedback on this area? Schools? Etc...
i don't live too far from there - my husband commutes on the hell that is Rt80 every morning to Paterson. You'd probably get on at exit 19, 25 or 27, after a 20-25 minute drive. Plan on leaving your house no later than 6:15am, or after 8:30am, and be prepared to sit in traffic. The traffic tends to ease up at the Rockaway Mall, after the 15 merge. You mentioned Sussex County is out b/c of 15/23 - well, 80 backs up west of the merge BECAUSE of Rt15 - so you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Honestly, I don't think the commute is going to be much better than you experience today.

I don't think the schools in Washington are that and a bag of chips. Oxford I don't know at all - but that picture gave me the willies.

good luck!

Old 03-12-2007, 07:10 PM

4,422 posts, read 5,152,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Google search...Picture is from August 2003
I googled as well and found that this picture is supposed to have been taken in the late 1980's.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 PM

4,422 posts, read 5,152,830 times
Here's the search I did.
More historical photos of the KKK

Photo above: Late 1980's. Oxford, N. J. Klan capital of the world.

Can't seem to post the photo, although it's the same one pictured above.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:47 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
"Klan cap of the world" - does it actually say that on the billboard in the pic?
Sorry, off topic but I am not familiar with that area really.
Hope you find a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey