Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,101 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions for a place to live. We are a 30-ish couple and we have a large White German Shepherd who is 2 years old. Warren is not an option because housing is extremely high. We don't necessarily need a "safe" place to live, but we are not interested in having to pass an armed guard to eat at a restraunt at night either.

Priorities are:

Urban setting
Fenced yard
Lower cost of living
Commute no longer than 40 minutes
Ethnically diverse
Good places to eat
Not far from good entertainment

Also, if anyone knows of a guy named Bill W. near that area feel free to PM me. I am looking to get in touch with him.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
you don't say your budget - but look east of Warren on 78 and 22, you only need to avoid Newark, Irvington and Plainfield. All other towns would be fine and within a 40 minute drive (you'll be against traffic).

Old 02-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Let's assume a budget of $1500/mo for rent and a privately owned house because of the dog. We are not buying. We prefer lower-income communities.

I have been to Warren and it is not for us. We are looking for something more like Newark, but I keep seeing/hearing that it is such a bad area that it seems unliveable? If it is unliveable, then why do 300,000 people live there?

What about a place like Elizabeth?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Let's assume a budget of $1500/mo for rent and a privately owned house because of the dog. We are not buying. We prefer lower-income communities.

I have been to Warren and it is not for us. We are looking for something more like Newark, but I keep seeing/hearing that it is such a bad area that it seems unliveable? If it is unliveable, then why do 300,000 people live there?

What about a place like Elizabeth?
$1500 for a SFH will be tough if not impossible.

Elizabeth is lower income, some parts are safer than others but someone else will have to give you more specifics.

Newark is not unliveable, parts are really really bad (other parts are ok) and people live there because they're in poverty and when you're in poverty your choices are limited.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
If you are looking for something like Newark, you have Plainfield right there within 15-20 minutes of Warren.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Tahiti says to stay away from Plainfield. I am interested in the "why"?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
well, because of crime and blight, but i see that doesn't really deter you. there may be sections that are better than others - i'll let someone else answer that, i'm not intimately familiar with plainfield.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
Read,

//www.city-data.com/city/Plainf...ew-Jersey.html

Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Thanks for that. And no, crime doesn't really deter us. We can deal with some urban decay, but we obviously don't want to be living next a crack-house either. Here in NY we live half a mile from the city housing project, and just north east of us is an impoverished/crime-riddled neighborhood. We are pretty content.

Less expensive housing is a higher priority to us than a "pleasantville" type of neighborhood. We are just not the "white picket fence" type. After reading the link, Plainfield seems OK. My wife is a Rutgers alum, so we are thinking about areas near New Brunswick as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey