Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously considering moving back to New Jersey, and enrolling in a grad program at Rutgers for the fall '09 semester. I have tons of family in NJ but the nearest to Rutgers is 30 miles (in Howell). I'd probably end up paying $800/month in rent and utilities to this family member, plus I'd have the cost of gas commuting to school. I'm thinking it might work out cheaper to just rent an apartment or share an apartment near Rutgers. Can anyone tell me what towns/areas would be safe and have an easy commute to the New Brunswick campus? And would it be cheaper to rent on my own, or do you think staying with this relative would be the better bargain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I'm seriously considering moving back to New Jersey, and enrolling in a grad program at Rutgers for the fall '09 semester. I have tons of family in NJ but the nearest to Rutgers is 30 miles (in Howell). I'd probably end up paying $800/month in rent and utilities to this family member, plus I'd have the cost of gas commuting to school. I'm thinking it might work out cheaper to just rent an apartment or share an apartment near Rutgers. Can anyone tell me what towns/areas would be safe and have an easy commute to the New Brunswick campus? And would it be cheaper to rent on my own, or do you think staying with this relative would be the better bargain?
how about right in new brunswick? a short ride and nice would be highland park or piscataway

Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM

691 posts, read 3,061,282 times
Plenty of rentals inside New Brunswick. Close by towns would be Highland Park, Piscataway, Edison or North Brunswick. It's definitely easier than commuting from Howell. Would probably take an hour each way from there due to traffic.

Check out this site: Rutgers University Off-Campus Housing Service

Old 06-09-2008, 11:22 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Christina,

I thought you were happy in Kansas City. Change of heart?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:48 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I recommend Highland Park. You can walk to the College Ave campus in about 20 minutes, or bike. It's a charming little town, where literally everything is in walking distance (Stop N Shop, banks, bagels, coffee, dry cleaning, Rite Aid with a liquor section). Super safe and convenient. I rented a studio there for about $830. There are other options (1-bedroom apartments on 2nd floors of houses, share a house with other students, rent in a complex or building).

New Brunswick has some good areas to rent in also. Downtown has some newer luxury apartments, though they're very expensive. The area around the College Ave campus has lots of students, shares, etc. Stay as close to campus as possible.

The off-campus housing service JerzBoy posted is a great resource, and so is craigslist. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:22 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
i also recommend highland park. using the rutgers off-campus housing website or craigslist, you can definitely find a single room in a multi-bedroom house or apartment for a very reasonable price. you very well might be able to find something under $600, in fact.

highland park is filled with rutgers grad students. the town is walkable, safer than most of new brunswick, and has plenty of shops, eateries, and a supermarket right there. parking your car in town is much less of a hassle than in new brunswick, too.

here's how i look at it: if you want to live in one of the nice new high-rises or luxury townhouses, and can afford the rent or find enough roommates to make it worthwhile, live in new brunswick. if you're just looking for the cheapest rent possible in a clean, decent apt with no worries about living in the fanciest place, then live in highland park.

most of the older houses and apartments in new brunswick are in poor to so-so shape.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:25 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
to answer your last question -
commuting from howell would only make sense if you didn't have to pay rent. since you'd have to pay $800 on top of gas and tolls, it's not worth it. just live close to campus and enjoy the college lifestyle again.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 PM

70 posts, read 229,268 times
I also suggest Highland Park. There are lost of apt complexes there. I forget the name of it, but there is one right next to Livignston Campus so there would be bus transportation to Rutgers closeby.

Also, New Brunswick built some new condos about 9 years back - I think mainly aimed at grad students. They look pretty nice and I'd assume there are some rentals. I think there is also grad school housing right on College Ave by that big lawn (across from the main bus stop).

LOL - sorry to be so non-specific.

PS The Daily Targum usually has ads for people looking for roommates - it may be online nowadays.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Christina,

I thought you were happy in Kansas City. Change of heart?
KC is great, the marriage is not. Now that I'm facing things on my own, I need to go back to school, so I can make more money. Plus, I'd have more choice in where I work, what I do. And I could go to school for cheaper out here, but I want to be near my family right now.

Thanks for all the posts here!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:51 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
KC is great, the marriage is not. Now that I'm facing things on my own, I need to go back to school, so I can make more money. Plus, I'd have more choice in where I work, what I do. And I could go to school for cheaper out here, but I want to be near my family right now.

Thanks for all the posts here!
christina - i'm truly sorry to hear this. my thoughts are with you.

i second (or third or fourth,lol) highland park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey