Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:08 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times

Advertisements

All of those listings are under $400k. And all are in very safe neighborhoods. The last one (where you guys could walk to work) is the safest neighborhood (you would be one block from my house, and you can buy me a beer at The Merchant for giving you such a good recommendation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,871 times
Tommy, seriously...

The square footage on all 3 of those places is a total joke.

If you read the OP's original post, he said "Decent Size House".

Some people like to have a little space.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM

23 posts, read 105,532 times
Thanks Tommy. Location wise the houses are amazing ..especially the last one. But yes, size of these houses is a concern. We are already renting a 875 sq ft. 1 BR in newport and are running out of space for our litte one. We are definitely looking for an upgrade (bigger house). It need not be huge but "decent size" in the realm of about 1400 sqft +

Boatworks houses are 1800sqft and around while the ones at droyers are 1500sqft and around in our budget.

So far I see people saying that boatworks is a better choice. As far as safety ..contrary to what I have seen on this thread ... people say the gate society hill area ..especially Droyers point which happens to be the innermost portion towards the water is very safe. Outside it is a different story but I doubt people would need to stoll outside society hill which in itself is huge for a safe night walk and a board walk exclusively for residents. My knowledge about boatworks is a little limited since I have been there only once and hope to get a fair idea this weekend.

Taxes in Bayonne are killing the deal though, cant imagine paying 11-12K for so-so schooling system.

Thanks so far guys.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 AM

LOL well decent size house is vague. Where I am, 800 square feet IS a decent size house!

Yes Droyers/Society Hill is gated but what kind of lifestyle can you live like that? Especially with a child. Driving to the ghetto supermarket for food, etc. If it comes down to this or Bayonne, go with Bayonne. It will just be a long commute.

If it was me, I'd save all my pennies while renting in Newport and hopefully expand my budget a bit. But that's just me, and I'm being opinionated!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:19 AM

I agree with the lifestyle in SH, hopefully a large community means better socializing and event within the safety of the complex. Why would you say that lifestyle in boatworks would be any different though ?

Was trying to save on my pennies while renting in newport but my landlord decided to squeeze them out of me from end of the year with the new rent so it just timed right with my decision to own one around this time. Space crunch is another issue since my "growing" sons "growing" needs for space are not affordable in newport anymore.

Has anyone seen both these societies inside to give better comparison or have common friends in both places to compare ?

I believe safety wise they are pretty close, bayonne might be better

How is the area near Avenue C and towards boatworks ?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:19 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amru View Post
Thanks Tommy. Location wise the houses are amazing ..especially the last one. But yes, size of these houses is a concern. We are already renting a 875 sq ft. 1 BR in newport and are running out of space for our litte one. We are definitely looking for an upgrade (bigger house). It need not be huge but "decent size" in the realm of about 1400 sqft +

Boatworks houses are 1800sqft and around while the ones at droyers are 1500sqft and around in our budget.

So far I see people saying that boatworks is a better choice. As far as safety ..contrary to what I have seen on this thread ... people say the gate society hill area ..especially Droyers point which happens to be the innermost portion towards the water is very safe. Outside it is a different story but I doubt people would need to stoll outside society hill which in itself is huge for a safe night walk and a board walk exclusively for residents. My knowledge about boatworks is a little limited since I have been there only once and hope to get a fair idea this weekend.

Taxes in Bayonne are killing the deal though, cant imagine paying 11-12K for so-so schooling system.

Thanks so far guys.
I tend to agree, I think that's outrageous. Taxes in Bayonne wildly fluctuate, there is NO rhyme or reason as to the difference, other than year the home are built (newer = higher taxes). I'm surprised there isn't an uprising by the residents of these new homes since they are paying, in most cases, over DOUBLE what similar sized SFH owners are paying. The house I grew up in - 4 levels, 4 bdrms and office, 25x100 lot, EIK, LR, DR - taxes are $6000. Difference is the house was built in the 1800's (but has been updated). Bayonne is RIPE for a reassessment.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 AM

I think lifestyle in Bayonne would be better because you wouldn't be as confined to the complex as you would in Society Hill. Greenville area is NASTY...have you driven through that area?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:41 AM

I know the other side of 440 is notorious and hence never been to that side for fear that I might not return to be able to buy a house

But seriously, are you guys saying that those bad elements will spill over all the way towards society hill and impact its safety ? Because you are bound to have bad areas near decent/good areas. I am sure Bayonne also has bad neighbourhoods and with bayonne being a small town they must be close to boatworks.

Closed larger community I feel would be safer that a small community which more exposed to the neighbourhood. I could be wrong though but that is what I thought is the case.

From the thread so far I gather that safety is a negative for Society Hill and Taxes (discounting commute since its not much difference) are a negative for Bayonne.

How about investment then, is boatworks better investment or Society Hills ? SH has propsective development along the gold coast from builders like Toll Brothers (next 5-6 years). I am not sure about boatworks but I know that the light rail is going to extend to Ave C/8th st by end of 2009 which will be 3-4 blocks from boatworks.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amru View Post
I know the other side of 440 is notorious and hence never been to that side for fear that I might not return to be able to buy a house

But seriously, are you guys saying that those bad elements will spill over all the way towards society hill and impact its safety ? Because you are bound to have bad areas near decent/good areas. I am sure Bayonne also has bad neighbourhoods and with bayonne being a small town they must be close to boatworks.

Closed larger community I feel would be safer that a small community which more exposed to the neighbourhood. I could be wrong though but that is what I thought is the case.

<snip>
I can't answer your first question, but I can say without hesitation that Bayonne's "bad" neighborhoods are NOWHERE in the same league as JC's bad neighborhoods. And...the 1 (yes, 1) area in Bayonne I would hesitate *slightly* to walk alone in *at night*, isn't near Boatworks (it's a stretch of maybe 6 blocks). Bayonne's low crime rate for a city its size is partially because it's insulated and isolated - being a peninsula, you have to "need" to go there, it's not a place you drive though to get somewhere else. People are generally blue collar middle class people who take care of their property.

You really can't do an apples to apples comparison between JC and Bayonne as far as crime and "feel", as, even though they are close geographically, they are SOOOO different. I can't tell if you've already been there and are going a 2nd time this weekend? If you haven't been, you really need to spend some time there, drive around downtown to get a feel of things. Bayonne is almost like a "small town" located in a very urban environment. It's the redheaded step child of Hudson County, IMHO (and not in a bad way).

Old 09-05-2008, 11:47 AM

amru, Society Hill BORDERS the Greenville section of JC, which is a very, very, very bad neighborhood. Like, almost as bad as they come. I think within the Society Hill community is very safe, but once you go out of there, it's not that safe. My question was, who wants to live confined like that?

Bayonne has some rough neighborhoods, but nothing like Greenville. Tahiti, I hear that Bayonne cops are VERY bad lately, have you heard this? I have heard that they tend to harrass people unneccesarily, and are notorious for doing so. I have also heard from several good sources (people that live there) that Bayonne tends to be very racially divided amongst it's residents. Is this true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey