Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:44 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,757 times

Advertisements

go with boatworks, no comparison....

however you will miss newport, i can guarantee it

why dont you look at hamilton park instead? some good prices now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:34 PM

7 posts, read 21,095 times
thanks gagaliya!... checking out areas surrounding Newport also, but 2 BR / 2 Baths are still expensive in the high-rises (particularly when bonuses have gone down !) and we are looking for gated communities as 2nd preference after condos...

I think I would surely find out more about Boatworks... what would you say are the main pros over Society Hills? i guess one of the cons would be longer commute. btw, how far is the following true (mentioned in one of the previous posts on 09-05-2008, 01:47 PM):

Quote:
I hear that Bayonne cops are VERY bad lately, have you heard this? I have heard that they tend to harrass people unneccesarily, and are notorious for doing so. I have also heard from several good sources (people that live there) that Bayonne tends to be very racially divided amongst it's residents. Is this true?
Also, how would you rate Secaucus, Weehawken (Port Imperial) & West New York?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 AM

23 posts, read 105,513 times
Hi home_buyer_nj2009,

I went ahead with Society Hill (droyers point). Some factors for the choice over Boatworks were:
1. Tax (this was a no brainer since my kid was 1 yr old at the time and a 6K difference was too much)
2. Diversity in community in SC

Feel free to send me a private message if you need inputs, I can let you know my findings on these two and other areas like Secaucus, Nutley, etc.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_buyer_nj2009 View Post
thanks gagaliya!... checking out areas surrounding Newport also, but 2 BR / 2 Baths are still expensive in the high-rises (particularly when bonuses have gone down !) and we are looking for gated communities as 2nd preference after condos...
Checkout the Park Hamilton building (the loft building), they have some nice sized units for comparable price to boatworks ($350-400k). And even less, for the brownstones.

Quote:
I think I would surely find out more about Boatworks... what would you say are the main pros over Society Hills? i guess one of the cons would be longer commute. btw, how far is the following true (mentioned in one of the previous posts on 09-05-2008, 01:47 PM):
They are building the lightrail station a few blocks from boatwork schedueld to complete by year end. You commute will be lightrail to exchange place, or if you work in nyc, transfer to path from there. I would think this is better than society hills, which has NO transportation options other than car or their own shuttle bus.

re: Bayonne cops are very good and somewhat aggressive towards CRIMINALS. They do a good job and keeps bayonne safe. It's nonsense that they harrass people, there are many nonwhites(indian, chinese, blacks) living in bayonne. They might harrass you if you dress up like a gangbanger and hang out on the street corner. Non-issue. Also boatwork has a very diverse population.

As to other pro/con:

- you can actually walk outside the gate as bayonne is a decent area vs society hill's no man's land outside the gate. This alone would made the decision for me.
- schools are much much better if that's a concern
- i like the finish in boatworks better, everything is new vs society hill, but i guess that varies per unit.
- the pro for society hill is within the gated area, it has a lot more amenities than boatworks for example: tennis court gym etc.. where boatwork only has a swimming pool.
- Also tax is no longer a big factor, most units in boatwork got their tax reduced from 12k to 7kish, which is comparable to society hills now.

Quote:
Also, how would you rate Secaucus, Weehawken (Port Imperial) & West New York?
Going north to weehawken/wny, the only place i would consider out of them are the immediate areas by the lightrail stops (city place, river point etc..) , but they are almost as expensive as newport which kind defeats the purpose.

I still think you should stay around newport nothing beats having all the restaurants, shopping(mall, target, etc..), transportation all next door, or having a stroll by the water on the pier with nyc directly across. Very few places have that kind of feel.

fyi i moved from newport/paulus hook to bayonne too, although i like the area it just doesnt do it for me, i find myself keep going back to newport for eveyrthing and just miss the area. Moving back soon...

Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 PM

Congrats Amru! and thanks for the info.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:41 PM

Thanks so much gagaliya for the detailed analysis! I am also inclined to stay in the Newport/surrounding areas if can find a good deal. Still have a month to decide (as the current lease is good till 30th Sep).

Old 07-29-2009, 03:56 PM

@ gagaliya - do u know any good realtor for Boatworks?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 AM

23 posts, read 105,513 times
I looked at the Boatworks houses via David Bartz, he is definitely knowledgeable and is a common realtor for both Society Hill and Boatworks so he can give you a good flavor in terms of comparison.

You might consider getting a buyer side realtor though as he will guide you without bias, since David acts as both seller and buyer if you go directly to him... just an opinion.

Mention that you were refered by Amol/Runa. Best of luck.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 AM

david bartz is pretty good, but it's not a big deal. I would just pick the realtor that has the most listings for boatworks, if a realtor gets the full commission instead of splitting it with a buyer agent, they would actually work much harder for you to convince the seller to deal at a lower price.

As i said before, in NJ, buyer/seller agent makes little difference as long as the realtor is good closer(willing to work with both sides to deal), your attorney is the one that will be protecting your interest, not the realtor.

edit: also 2 month is ok but keep in mind it's NOT a lot of time. It's brave new world, mortgage committment takes forever nowdays and is much more strict. So make sure you plan at least 1 month from rate lock to actually getting a committment on the mortgage.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:59 PM

Very useful tips gagaliya. Thanks again!

Visited some high-rises in Newport/Exchange Place today. Asking price for good 2 BR condos (> 1100 sq ft) are more than 650k and so still out of our budget. There is surely a lot of scope for negotiation (as per the "hints" given by realtors), but not sure what would be the true market price.

Would check out some more areas (including Grove St & Boatworks) and shortlist the places by mid Aug. Also, have to talk to some mortgage agents regarding pre-approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey