Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:51 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,373,726 times

Advertisements

Hopefully AIG won't go down tomorrow. That is the new worry. One of my customers tonight, who is a stock broker, said this is starting to look like the late 80s, and maybe worst.

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 AM

646 posts, read 2,669,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Hopefully AIG won't go down tomorrow. That is the new worry. One of my customers tonight, who is a stock broker, said this is starting to look like the late 80s, and maybe worst.

Diane G

No maybe about it.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:38 AM

[quote=TheEmissary;5282722]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post

No, AIG will be next looking for a $50 billion "fix". As for GM and Ford, they should quit cryin' the financial blues and re-design the bumpers of a few of their European models, with decent gas mileage that someone might actually buy, instead of a blinged-out Cadillac Escalade with "the employee discount"!
People can't afford the cars anymore or their homes.Why aren't you telling the people on Wall St. to ..."quit cryin' the financial blues"...as you said?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post

Lehman and Merrill just isn't brokers on the floor or hedge fund managers making bajillions of dollars. Some of them are hard-working people just doing their white-collar thing, making 50-60K per year, having a dual income with their wife and husband and getting by in New Jersey.

It sucks that this has happened, but again, blaming Bush is not the answer. This was created by the vortex of suck that was the subprime crisis. And in that situation, you're right, it was built on shady mortgage brokers just looking to make a buck.

You make my point,I realize this but who backed those brokers?Everyone saw this coming but Wall St never did,all the companies that over the years were bought sold and dismantaled becuase "Wall St" said it was the right thing to do ..."it was just business"...all the white and blue coller jobs lost or over seas ...all the 35 or 40 or 50 or even 60,ooo dollar a year jobs gone and were replaced with Walmart jobs.
To say Bush was not responsable ....well,his ignorance has cost the country American lives and it's economy.

P.S. .....Funny you don't hear Bush talking about getting rid of SS and putting the money in Wall ST ,how many 401k's or retirement plains are screwed now?????

Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 AM

11,362 posts, read 16,735,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Greed and corruption were allowed to run rampant for years. Regulations...what regulations...

This could easily be the death of the middle class in America. It is a very sad day.

Lets go back to see who deregulated the mortgage industry...my oh my...it was Pres Clinton.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:57 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,721,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Lets go back to see who deregulated the mortgage industry...my oh my...it was Pres Clinton.
Not wanting to turn this into a political thread, but Clinton deregulated it, and the CEO's raped it. Just goes to show that people in extremely powerful positions have to be babysat since they have no idea on how to run a business.

Greed is a terrible thing, and once the CEO, CFO, COO pay spiked, all ethical thoughts went out the door.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,530,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Not wanting to turn this into a political thread, but Clinton deregulated it, and the CEO's raped it. Just goes to show that people in extremely powerful positions have to be babysat since they have no idea on how to run a business.

Greed is a terrible thing, and once the CEO, CFO, COO pay spiked, all ethical thoughts went out the door.
what an excellent point and your right!!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,960,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post

AMEN Hoboken Guy. This is why saying things like "let's let the market solve the health care crisis in America" is laughable.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,960,462 times
"He who dies with the most toys wins"
That is the attitude that is destroying our country.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,721,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
"He who dies with the most toys wins"
That is the attitude that is destroying our country.
Agreed to a point. My Dad used to be a CEO of a large telecommunications firm in the 80's. His salary? About 130K. Modest house in the suburbs, drove a Buick Park Avenue, and still clipped coupons...the man lives like he is going to lose his fortune in 20 minutes, and I admire him for that. He still drives an anonymous Dodge, and my stepmother drives a 16 year old Honda Civic. Very simple lives.

These modern CEO's need things like 6K dollar umbrella holders, million dollar parties, and private jets. When did they lose their moral compass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey