Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,960,462 times

Advertisements

I agree with you 150% HobokenGuy.

I am not saying all CEO's don't work hard. I'm not saying that those who perform well should not be compensated... but the conspicuous consumption era of $6k umbrella holders is nauseating. There IS no moral compass for them. Not at all.

It really is a repeat of the end of the 80's again. Only this time may be a little worse, there is no "internet boom" to come and too many jobs are gone and not coming back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:12 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,721,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I agree with you 150% HobokenGuy.

I am not saying all CEO's don't work hard. I'm not saying that those who perform well should not be compensated... but the conspicuous consumption era of $6k umbrella holders is nauseating. There IS no moral compass for them. Not at all.

It really is a repeat of the end of the 80's again. Only this time may be a little worse, there is no "internet boom" to come and too many jobs are gone and not coming back.
I think Jersey is going to feel this fairly hard.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 AM

Agreed.

Within the past year we had to consider the option of moving out of state for the first time ever. Not because we wanted to, but because we honestly did not know if we could stay here.

For the first time in my life I'm honestly worried that my children may not be able to live in the US. That they may have to leave to live comfortably or to get ahead. That's a very frightening prospect.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Agreed.

Within the past year we had to consider the option of moving out of state for the first time ever. Not because we wanted to, but because we honestly did not know if we could stay here.

For the first time in my life I'm honestly worried that my children may not be able to live in the US. That they may have to leave to live comfortably or to get ahead. That's a very frightening prospect.
I don't think it will be like this forever since this is a cyclical market, but we need to keep jobs here, and not shipped to India or some other third world cesspool.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I don't think it will be like this forever since this is a cyclical market, but we need to keep jobs here, and not shipped to India or some other third world cesspool.
To me, outsourcing is one of the biggest travesties that was allowed to be put upon American people in our lifetime. I worked for a company many years ago that was big into "offshoring." (Guess why I don't work there anymore... yes, my job is somewhere in India or the Phillipines as we speak...) I remember many of our clients would call and express concerns about this. We were told to say "XYZ company has always been an international company. We have offices in London, Sydney, Ontario, and so forth. " Uhm, you could not compare a "London office" to "offshoring 80% of our US workforce to an outsourcing co in India.... pathetic. Level of service suffered (SHOCKING). I have never been the type to play by Corporate America's rules (are you SHOCKED by that? lol) so I would say "Well, right now I'm here, in NJ... but when you call next time you may be speaking to someone in our New Dheli affiliate or the like..." Really set people off. LOL Especially the higher ups. My bosses were totally loving it.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,500,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post

People can't afford the cars anymore or their homes.Why aren't you telling the people on Wall St. to ..."quit cryin' the financial blues"...as you said?
Giantone - I wasn't suggesting AIG be given anything, rather that they would be the next up, looking for a handout.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 AM

Again, may I point out how it is SO repulsive that CORPORATE welfare is just so thought of as OK (by many, I know, not all) and costs us BILLIONS but we all harp about how Social welfare is killing us.... not meant to start a debate, it's just glaringly obvious in the past few days.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Again, may I point out how it is SO repulsive that CORPORATE welfare is just so thought of as OK (by many, I know, not all) and costs us BILLIONS but we all harp about how Social welfare is killing us.... not meant to start a debate, it's just glaringly obvious in the past few days.
Speaking of welfare...

I just phoned in to get my weekly unemployment stipen

Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,500,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Speaking of welfare...

I just phoned in to get my weekly unemployment stipen
HobokenGuy - Don't feel the least bit guilty about collecting it! You've paid into it and that's just what it's for. It's not "welfare" either, - it's "insurance"! I seriously doubt that any of those CEOs who get their multi-million payout after their company fails, have any qualms about cashing their check!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:54 AM

Seriously HobokenGuy - don't feel that way! It is a safety net that you paid into. NO shame in that at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey