Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 05:08 PM

11,365 posts, read 16,740,139 times

Advertisements

This is exactly why the emails need to be released.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By CHRIS NEWMARKER
Associated Press Writer

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- A former union leader who used to date Gov. Jon S. Corzine says e-mails they exchanged shouldn't be made public because some were "in connection with" union contract negotiations.
A state appeals court is expected in November to hear a lawsuit filed by Republican Party leader Tom Wilson, who says the e-mails are public information.

In a legal brief filed Thursday, Carla Katz's lawyer Paul Fishman repeats previous arguments that discussions about collective bargaining are exempt from public disclosure.

The brief argues that any other discussions were private matters -- and exempt too.

Corzine and Katz are appealing a decision in which Superior Court Judge Paul Innes ruled that e-mails Corzine and his staff exchanged with Katz are public information.

The e-mails took place during state worker contract talks in 2006. Katz was head of the largest state workers union in the state until July, when the national union ousted her. Katz is suing in federal court over the removal.

Corzine has argued that the e-mails are covered by executive privilege -- the right of governors to keep communications private so they can better conduct public business.

Corzine spokesman Sean Darcy declined to comment on the brief, referring questions to the state Attorney General's office, who is representing Corzine in the case. The Attorney General's office declined to comment beyond what it's previously argued in legal briefs.

Fishman and Wilson didn't immediately return calls on Thursday seeking comment.

Katz gained attention during Corzine's successful 2005 gubernatorial run when it was revealed Corzine paid the mortgage on her house and gave her other gifts they have refused to disclose.

Katz dated Corzine from 2002 to 2004, when he was a U.S. senator. He became governor in January 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,709,437 times
I agree completely

Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,627,333 times
Anyone else hearing crickets? Yawn.....

Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,722,717 times
I dunno if I would want to see those emails. All I need it a skin shot of Katz and Corzine and I will have to gouge my eyes out.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 PM

20,351 posts, read 19,962,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Anyone else hearing crickets? Yawn.....
Not me. I want to see NJ succeed. Are we that politically jaded in our lowered expectations?

For a guy who made a lot of promises to "change the way NJ does business" Gov. Corzine's accomplishments are overwhelmingly cricket-worthy if not downright yawn-able.

Last edited by doc1; 09-26-2008 at 09:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: