Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM

31 posts, read 93,968 times

Advertisements

I am in contract to buy a home in Middlesex County and just had the inspection done on Saturday. I came up with a good number of repairs that would need to be completed, and need my estimates to go to the seller with (to either credit, fix, etc.)

I just called a contractor by the name of Moderator cut: Removed company name who told me that they won't give us an estimate on the repairs unless we own it, and that I should call back after closing to get numbers. This of course does me no help as I need these numbers in order to negotiate and/or close.

In addition, they said that the estimate is free *so long as* when they give us the price, we have to say yes or no *on the spot*.

Does this only sound bogus to me? Has anyone else gotten this response?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-26-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Removed company name as we're not a consumer complaints site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM

Moderator cut: Removed company name

Also saw on their website that they list "deadbeats" ... customers who have not paid them probably because they didn't like the work that was done. I guess a full-page ad doesn't buy class... then again maybe this is standard. Thoughts?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-26-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Removed company name as we're not a consumer complaints site.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:49 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,803 times
Find another contractor. While we are looking to buy a bank own property, my realtor brought a contractor that she used before to walk through with us and give us a promx. estimate.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:36 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
If you brought a used car to a mechanic before buying it to see how much work it needed, and he told you he won't tell you until you buy the car, would you use that mechanic? If not, why would you use someone like this for a major purchase like a home? This does not sound like standard practice to me, reputable people will let you think about it or get other estimates after they give theirs. They sound shady to me.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,372,878 times
Contractor is working for the sellor. Get another contracter who is honest. or get out of the deal completely. This is not standard practice and is quite borderline illegal.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 AM

Didn't realize I couldn't include company name (apologies to Moderators) -

Actually Todd, this was a contractor I contacted (not seller, they deferred to us to use contractor of OUR choice...) and not someone who was working with the seller - although that would have been my guess too. Can you believe it...

They were very shady and also told me that I would need to go to Home Depot and buy all of the materials myself. That's just what I have time to do.

Any good recommendations? I contacted another contractor in the same magazine (one without a full page ad and tons of 'tude) and he went to look at the house same-day since he was going to be in the area. He recommended that instead of replacing the deck, we just jack it up and replace the support beams since those are the only problem (the wood is splitting) and since the deck itself is really quite beautifully made. Would cost around $1500 instead of $8000. Maybe more, I'm not sure what decks even go for... but this seems like a much better idea.

Just want to say that I love this board so much and it has been a lifesaver during this time... grateful to everyone who reads and posts. You guys are all my best friends.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
How much time would you like the contractor to spend visit a house that you haven't even bought yet, just to tell you what it might cost to fix the problems if you do happen to close? You paid the inspector for his professional opinion and time- why not pay the contractor for coming out and providing his professional opinion on cost and options?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 AM

Hi Bob- I explained to the contractor that whether the seller concedes or not, we are buying the home because we like the area and the house itself. We are getting a good price and but we will still need someone to do the repairs once we close.

I suppose we could stop looking for a contractor now, and call him back once we close. But why? Getting the estimates now is in our best interests, so that we can try to get the seller to pick up some of the costs. It would be in their best interest, given the scenario, to come out and give estimates because no matter who ends up paying, they are getting the work and the money. The work WILL be done.

FYI ... There wasn't even an option to have a paid estimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey