Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:46 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

The development will not have any affordable housing units. Although the developer was obligated to include about 13 units, James Street LLC will instead pay $1 million to the township developer's fee trust fund, which is used to create affordable housing.

Old Verizon site in Morris Twp. to become townhouse complex | Daily Record | Daily Record

Create affordable housing in Morristownship....when's the last time if ever that happened??
Affordable housing doesn't mean "welfare" housing either...just housing the average working stiff can afford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 12:50 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Unfortunately, there will always be a way for "big money" to circumvent the system.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:54 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Unfortunately, there will always be a way for "big money" to circumvent the system.
Average Joes just can't get ahead I truly feel sorry for young kids today busting their azzes and not being able to find affordable housing in NJ

Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Why doesn't anyone say to the developer, "If you don't build the affordable housing units, then nothing will be built there!" The eunuchs run NJ!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The development will not have any affordable housing units. Although the developer was obligated to include about 13 units, James Street LLC will instead pay $1 million to the township developer's fee trust fund, which is used to create affordable housing.

Old Verizon site in Morris Twp. to become townhouse complex | Daily Record | Daily Record

Create affordable housing in Morristownship....when's the last time if ever that happened??
Affordable housing doesn't mean "welfare" housing either...just housing the average working stiff can afford
The townships tend to give it to other twps. Green Twp in Sussex County was sending it to Kearny!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
The townships tend to give it to other twps. Green Twp in Sussex County was sending it to Kearny!
wiley - That's been the crux of the problem all along. The money is basically a "NIMBY" payment to another municipality. This entirely defeats the purpose of creating affordable housing throughout the state. My old home town (and yours!) of Paterson used to be a recipient of all of these funds. There was never much in the way of available real estate to build new housing on anyway, and by the time it passed through all of the "hands" of local politicians and their cronies, there wasn't enough money left to build a decent dog house.

njkate - Most of the children of the Gen Xers will never be able to afford to buy a house in NJ and will either be life-long renters or will end up being my neighbors here in NC, or some other lower cost-of-living state. How many years do you have to go back in time, in NJ, to get a 3000 sq ft house for $200,000? If your children don't turn out to be "doctors, lawyers or business executives" (in Malvina Reynold's words), chances are, you'll be travelling quite a distance to visit them!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 10-07-2008 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 03:48 PM

67 posts, read 304,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
wiley - That's been the crux of the problem all along. The money is basically a "NIMBY" payment to another municipality. This entirely defeats the purpose of creating affordable housing throughout the state. My old home town (and yours!) of Paterson used to be a recipient of all of these funds. There was never much in the way of available real estate to build new housing on anyway, and by the time it passed through all of the "hands" of local politicians and their cronies, there wasn't enough money left to build a decent dog house.

njkate - Most of the children of the Gen Xers will never be able to afford to buy a house in NJ and will either be life-long renters or will end up being my neighbors here in NC, or some other lower cost-of-living state. How many years do you have to go back in time, in NJ, to get a 3000 sq ft house for $200,000? If your children don't turn out to be "doctors, lawyers or business executives" (in Malvina Reynold's words), chances are, you'll be travelling quite a distance to visit them!

Sadly, I agree with this. I was born and raised in Jersey, go to college in Pittsburgh and in about 6 months I'm transferring to a different campus in SC and I know I'll be staying there for at least two years after I graduate, if not more. I love Jersey, I just can't afford it. My mom and stepdad both work two jobs and, on paper, make around $80 K and yet they still rent.

I actually just went house hunting with my mom this weekend in Jersey. Nice new construction house, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bathroom, 2 car garage - $599 K. My fiance and I are looking for houses to rent in SC. Nice new construction also, 4 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom, 3 car garage and the lower level (raised foundation?) is all storage except for where the garage is - $1500/mo. to rent, $350 K to buy.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:22 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Sicklerville is a very big recipient. That's one of the reasons (among others) that the median house value in that town is one of the lowest in the entire state.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 PM

17 posts, read 64,974 times
Lack of affordable housing in NJ is the exact reason why I will not be moving back when I graduate college this May. It gets harder every year for a middle class family to survive in New Jersey. It's sad, really.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikalyn View Post
It gets harder every year for ANY family to survive in New Jersey. It's sad, really.
Revised
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey