Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times

Advertisements

OK - I've tried a lot of foods and I've not tried Soul Food. I noticed a new (at least newer) place on Main in Hackensack and I'd like to check it out. Can anyone out there give me a primer on what's what and what I should order and maybe even give me some tips on where I should eat.... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times
Collard Greens and sweet potato pie are two right off the bat.

Go into the place and ask.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Hmmm. First of all, try Delta's in New Brunswick, an upscale soul food place.

Soul food is African American food, not exactly the same as "Southern" cuisine, but similar in that most Southern dishes are influenced by Soul food.

African Americans traditionally cooked with ham and pork, and during slavery at least, black folks usually had to make do with the worst parts of the pig (entrails such as intestines, etc.) So this is why chitterlings (chitlins), pork intestines, are often a delicacy in black homes and even restaurants.

Some of the most traditionally prevalent meat dishes are barbecued pork and beef ribs, chopped pork or beef brisket barbecue, fried chicken, fried fish (especially catfish), roasted or fried chicken or turkey wings, pigs' feet, ham hocks, fatback (as a seasoning). My late father loved organ meats like beef liver and kidneys, chicken gizzards, and even calf brains. Oxtails and neck bones are often eaten as well.

Vegetables include collard greens (as well as all kinds of other greens), spinach, turnips, cabbage, tomatoes, and even dandelion leaves.

Staples (carbs) include rice, black-eyed peas and rice (hoppin' john), red beans and rice, grits, yams, sweet potatoes (these are distinctly different), corn on the cob, corn bread, johnnycakes (corn meal or wheat cakes).

That's a good start. Ask me more questions if you have them.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks Sunil's Dad! I don't know if I'm brave enough for Chiltlins and Intestines (and trust me, hubby is Cuban and I'm part Greek... I've seen these things, just can't do it! ) But some of the rest sounds great... I am going to try the one I saw in Hackensack (can't find it on line, I'll report back) and I would love to try Delta's one day.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Thanks Sunil's Dad! I don't know if I'm brave enough for Chiltlins and Intestines (and trust me, hubby is Cuban and I'm part Greek... I've seen these things, just can't do it! ) But some of the rest sounds great... I am going to try the one I saw in Hackensack (can't find it on line, I'll report back) and I would love to try Delta's one day.

Thanks!
I do understand, because I don't eat that stuff either. My mom (Cuban/Haitian) didn't make it, even though blacks in those countries ate that kinds of stuff too........Don't know the Hackensack place, but Delta's is absolutely great!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:00 AM

I remember my in-laws once cooked a meal, intestine lining I beleive it was. We all came home (we were living with them at the time) and my brother in law went through the roof. The smell took WEEKS to get out of the house. He told them NEVER to make it again!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
Quote:
I remember my in-laws once cooked a meal, intestine lining I beleive it was. We all came home (we were living with them at the time) and my brother in law went through the roof. The smell took WEEKS to get out of the house. He told them NEVER to make it again!
Tripe

Old 10-13-2008, 10:04 AM

Alex, I almost DIED. But I'm 1/2 Greek. On Easter they'd do the lamb - whole lamb -and fight over who got the eyes, tounge, brain.... AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

And they wonder why I spent so much time in therapy.....

Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
Quote:
Alex, I almost DIED. But I'm 1/2 Greek. On Easter they'd do the lamb - whole lamb -and fight over who got the eyes, tounge, brain.... AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

And they wonder why I spent so much time in therapy.....
I do like tripe, it's an acquired taste, I grew up w/ it from my Grandmother, now I never had eyes tongue or brain stuff, that sounds ummmm...gross.

Have you ever tried "Morzilla"? It's like a sausage/kilbasa but made out of pig's blood.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:09 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
I would never trust chitlins made by anyone but ME or maybe my sister. We used to refer to them as SH*tlins because of they arent cleaned properly you can get really really sick and they STINK and taste nasty. But when done right they are pretty good.

Mmmmm Collard greens, Sunils Dad you got me jonesing for some good ol 'home cookin'. One of the only things I really really miss about one of my exes, her mom could THROW DOWN in the kitchen boy.... Maybe I'll give her mom a call. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey