Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 23,768 times

Advertisements

My husband isn't sure whether he would take the train to Newark Penn Station and then switch to the path or just drive to Jersey City and take the path from there. He thinks both options would be okay, but he thinks the Jersey City route would be quicker. He'd take I-78 to Jersey City. Any thoughts on the traffic in the early morning? He'd be leaving at about 7:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:29 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya10 View Post
My husband isn't sure whether he would take the train to Newark Penn Station and then switch to the path or just drive to Jersey City and take the path from there. He thinks both options would be okay, but he thinks the Jersey City route would be quicker. He'd take I-78 to Jersey City. Any thoughts on the traffic in the early morning? He'd be leaving at about 7:30 AM.
If you take the train to Newark, the hop the PATH, you should be at work at about 8:30 -- maybe sooner. Driving to JC, then hopping the PATH could be risky. One accident and you're looking at getting in closer to 9:00, if not later.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:17 AM

183 posts, read 500,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya10 View Post
From what I have heard from people on this board and elsewhere, Westfield is a down-to-earth place. That's important for us since we are loooking for a town with a strong sense of community and people who are family-oriented and not overly materialistic.
Hi there,
If the latter is true, you might be better off looking in a town like Cranford, to be honest.

Chatham is surrounded by Summit, Short Hills, Millburn...about as materialistic as you can get, frankly. Just check the nearby Whole Foods in Madison and Millburn to see what I mean. It's a nice town, don't get me wrong, but I think it would be a stretch to think it's "down-to-earth" in most ways. That said, I don't think of Westfield that way either...it is loaded with people who would like you to think they are living large. Cranford is arguably less so, but it has its growing share of (unwarranted) snobs. All the towns mentioned will have their share to greater or lesser degrees. They're all very nice towns, but you have to consider the dynamic operating in them, mainly based on the degree of affluence.

Btw, I'd hardly consider Chatham as being rural in any way. It might be more so than Westfield, but that's like saying it's more urban than upstate NY. It's suburban. You're unlikely to see a cow anywhere in the local area.

Good luck in your search.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Hi there,
If the latter is true, you might be better off looking in a town like Cranford, to be honest.

Chatham is surrounded by Summit, Short Hills, Millburn...about as materialistic as you can get, frankly. Just check the nearby Whole Foods in Madison and Millburn to see what I mean. It's a nice town, don't get me wrong, but I think it would be a stretch to think it's "down-to-earth" in most ways. That said, I don't think of Westfield that way either...it is loaded with people who would like you to think they are living large. Cranford is arguably less so, but it has its growing share of (unwarranted) snobs. All the towns mentioned will have their share to greater or lesser degrees. They're all very nice towns, but you have to consider the dynamic operating in them, mainly based on the degree of affluence.

Btw, I'd hardly consider Chatham as being rural in any way. It might be more so than Westfield, but that's like saying it's more urban than upstate NY. It's suburban. You're unlikely to see a cow anywhere in the local area.

Good luck in your search.
Actually, you'll see both cows and horses if you drive about 5 minutes from Chatham into neighboring Harding or Long Hill. Chatham Township is much more rural than Westfield. Maybe not more so than Binghamton, but that's not one of the OP's choices. However, I'd consider Chatham Borough suburban, and not rural.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:03 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I grew up in Chatham Twp years ago and remember feeling trapped there as a teen. There was nowhere we could walk to, unless we allowed hours and hours. The town is laid out in a straight line and invariably your best friend would live at the other end. Look at a map of the place. It's crazy. You're going to have to drive your kids everywhere. And don't get the idea that the place is rural, because it totally isn't. The last time I visited there I was shocked at how crammed together all the houses were (I live in Mass. now--so my orientation is different). You get the worst of both worlds--cramped surburbia, but no conveniences.

I think Westfield with it's bustling downtown would be a really fun place to grow up.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:12 AM

183 posts, read 500,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Actually, you'll see both cows and horses if you drive about 5 minutes from Chatham into neighboring Harding or Long Hill. Chatham Township is much more rural than Westfield. Maybe not more so than Binghamton, but that's not one of the OP's choices. However, I'd consider Chatham Borough suburban, and not rural.
The point is that it's hardly farm country. Both of the areas you mentioned are only about an additional ten minutes or so from Westfield. So maybe if you want to see a cow in a hurry, Chatham is a better choice.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
The point is that it's hardly farm country. Both of the areas you mentioned are only about an additional ten minutes or so from Westfield. So maybe if you want to see a cow in a hurry, Chatham is a better choice.
Agreed.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 PM

12 posts, read 24,982 times
I grew up in Chatham Twp and found the kids extremely spoiled and materialistic. Crash your new IROC and get a new BMer. (Back in the 80s but you get the idea.) My mother still lives there. Very safe and the schools are good. Like it has been said in previous posts, it is not as easy to get around without a license as in Westfield. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:26 PM

6 posts, read 23,768 times
Thanks for everyone's input. It looks like Westfield is coming up the winner in this debate. We hadn't thought of the issues teens face when trying to socialize in a town that is smaller and doesn't have a large town center. This has given us something to ponder.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,432 times
so what did you decide in the end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey