Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,948,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Today is "National Men Make Dinner" Day

National Men Make Dinner Dayâ„¢

What will you be cooking tonight? I better let BF know about this ASAP.
NICE! My DH can cook - but he does it more at work than at home! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 04:07 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
I make pizza, that is mostly it. I got to the point where I built a brick oven in the back yard to facilitate this. be careful cooking can be a dangerous and expensive hobby!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Since I do the cooking EVERY night, I should be able to cash in on this and have the wife make me dinner tonight, right?

Uhh. Wait a minute. There's a REASON I do the cooking every night! Hmmm.

Actually, this sort of thing annoys me. THey couldn't have done it in a way and with a title that acknowledges that either one of a couple might be the cook, and that tonight is a fun switch it up night? The current rendition assumes that no man can possibly be the everyday cook in the family. A ridiculous assumption in this day & age. Should we also have a "National Women Drive the Car Day?"
I went through the same sort of thing (and continue to experience it every day) regarding my kids and any marketing aimed at parents. They all assume that Dad can't possobly be involved in raising their kids unless Mom drags them to it, kicking & screaming, or bribes them to it with a beer. Perhaps it's chuckle worthy at first, but after a while, it gets condescending, presumptious, and more than a little annoying.
BRAVO! I agree with this 100%. I hate how men are marginalized or seen as bumbling fools when it comes to childcare (OOOPS, I mean when men "babysit" - barf), and household chores. What really burns my a** too is a lot of time it's perpetuated by the "mommies" of the world.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Since I do the cooking EVERY night, I should be able to cash in on this and have the wife make me dinner tonight, right?

Uhh. Wait a minute. There's a REASON I do the cooking every night! Hmmm.

Actually, this sort of thing annoys me. THey couldn't have done it in a way and with a title that acknowledges that either one of a couple might be the cook, and that tonight is a fun switch it up night? The current rendition assumes that no man can possibly be the everyday cook in the family. A ridiculous assumption in this day & age. Should we also have a "National Women Drive the Car Day?"
I went through the same sort of thing (and continue to experience it every day) regarding my kids and any marketing aimed at parents. They all assume that Dad can't possobly be involved in raising their kids unless Mom drags them to it, kicking & screaming, or bribes them to it with a beer. Perhaps it's chuckle worthy at first, but after a while, it gets condescending, presumptious, and more than a little annoying.
After reading your post I started to think of my role as a father and the differences of a lot of fathers today compared to the older generation. I don't ever, and I mean EVER remember my dad in the kitchen cooking anything, not even boiling water for a cup of coffee or tea. They were brought up w/ the mind set that the kitchen was a woman's domain and that it wasn't "manly" to do stuff like that. I look at how the kitchen is now considered the central nerve system of any home. We cook, we entertain, we conversate, debate, drink, do homework and every once in a while a good cry too. God forbid the old geezers ever showed a bit of emotion back then. I can remember when our son was about 2 or 3 years old and my dad was visiting, I came home and found him playing horsie w/ my son, my dad, Mr. Big tough guy on the floor on his knees w/ his grandson on his back. I was totally in shock by that.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
After reading your post I started to think of my role as a father and the differences of a lot of fathers today compared to the older generation. I don't ever, and I mean EVER remember my dad in the kitchen cooking anything, not even boiling water for a cup of coffee or tea. They were brought up w/ the mind set that the kitchen was a woman's domain and that it wasn't "manly" to do stuff like that. I look at how the kitchen is now considered the central nerve system of any home. We cook, we entertain, we conversate, debate, drink, do homework and every once in a while a good cry too. God forbid the old geezers ever showed a bit of emotion back then. I can remember when our son was about 2 or 3 years old and my dad was visiting, I came home and found him playing horsie w/ my son, my dad, Mr. Big tough guy on the floor on his knees w/ his grandson on his back. I was totally in shock by that.
I've posted this before, but my dad (who would be 80 today if he were alive) stayed home with me during the day when I was a child (he worked the 4-12 shift at the jail), and cooked ALL meals, enjoyed it and was very good at it. But what's interesting is that he definitely WAS like the bolded part of your post - so very typical for that generation, and to his detriment as he didn't take care of himself and didn't follow dr's orders. I only saw him cry once, at his younger brother's funeral. I have a feeling had he been alive today, he would've been like your dad, on the floor, playing with his grandkids.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,931,864 times
My dad never cooked, washed, folded or cleaned up a thing. But then again, my mother never fixed, mowed, or shoveled a thing and never worked either.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
My dad never cooked, washed, folded or cleaned up a thing. But then again, my mother never fixed, mowed, or shoveled a thing and never worked either.
That was true then, not today. Just as nowdays I can handle cooking a meal or doing laundry or making my own bed, DW is very handy w/ a nail gun, a hammer or a measuring tapes. Times sure have changed.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:24 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
That was true then, not today. Just as nowdays I can handle cooking a meal or doing laundry or making my own bed, DW is very handy w/ a nail gun, a hammer or a measuring tapes. Times sure have changed.
Not for me.... thankfully, gf doesn't ask me to do the dishes anymore. I was loaded with stuff to do around the house as it was, she said it was my "turn", so I casually mentioned it was her turn to mow the lawn, do work in the dining room, fix the electrical wiring in a few outlets, lay out the bathroom, weed, rake the leaves.......

She said she'd do the dishes.

Cooking is simple. Both of us work hard, so one just up and does it any random night, no real schedule.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:52 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,917 times
My husband is a chef by trade. I'm the bumbling fool in the kitchen. I'm lucky, but I do wish i could throw a meal together the way he can. it's actually intimidating.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:00 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,931,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
My husband is a chef by trade. I'm the bumbling fool in the kitchen. I'm lucky, but I do wish i could throw a meal together the way he can. it's actually intimidating.
I know exactly what you mean. BF is a former chef and I was so worried about cooking for him when we first started dating. Then I found out that he actually loves Spaghettio's. When I heard that, I figured anything I cooked would at least be better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey