Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 PM

21 posts, read 101,239 times

Advertisements

I love NJ and if you don't like it leave the state is great so much to do and its right next to NYC just a quick train trip away. You sound like you REALLY REALLY HATE IT. If you don't like it leave like a previous post stated no one is holding a gun to your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 06:21 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Hunting laws?
Gun regulation?
Dude, you really should leave NJ.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:21 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdesousa View Post
I love NJ and if you don't like it leave the state is great so much to do and its right next to NYC just a quick train trip away. You sound like you REALLY REALLY HATE IT. If you don't like it leave like a previous post stated no one is holding a gun to your head.
Yep. NJ is a great place. I have moved between NYC and NJ a few times, and the one thing that eventually brings me back to NJ time after time is the fact that when you live in NJ you get the best of everything. As great as NYC is, it's always easy to get there when you live in NJ, but it's not always so easy to get back to the things you love about NJ when you move away. NJ is an excellent place to live, and if someone isn't happy living there, someone will always be more than happy to take their place.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:22 PM

96 posts, read 237,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Yep. NJ is a great place. I have moved between NYC and NJ a few times, and the one thing that eventually brings me back to NJ time after time is the fact that when you live in NJ you get the best of everything. As great as NYC is, it's always easy to get there when you live in NJ, but it's not always so easy to get back to the things you love about NJ when you move away. NJ is an excellent place to live, and if someone isn't happy living there, someone will always be more than happy to take their place.
I claim dibs! ;-) I'm so hoping to move to NJ sometime soon. Yes with my eyes wide open because I've been coming here on extended visits (business and leisure) for years. My dh and I have had permenant residence in TX for years, raised our kid, and yeah the cost of living was cheap compared to other parts of the US. I won't bash TX either because there are good things about living here but... but... it just doesn't have that same feel.

Manhattan will stimulate my senses in ways both urbane and edgy. I like it. But for me Manhattan is not about comfort. No matter how much time I spend there, it's never about comfort.

I go to Jersey when I'm done with the city and want comfort. Sure... I can understand and appreciate the economics driving some people away. Yet I've talked to people who have left, and most say they end up missing Jersey eventually if they be honest... and they miss it terribly.

For me... I'm smitten by Taylor ham and hard roll and diners good and bad... Empire Coffee in Hoboken then eating Pinoy in a Jersey City turo turo... fine dining to the best hot dog I've ever eaten there in Cape May... theater in New Brunswick and taking the "Dinky" to Princeton... admiring the four seasons and especially Autumn where there is change in the leaves (unlike TX)... driving Jersey back roads through picturesque boroughs that most people wouldn't dream could be a part of the NJ landscape... hiking at High Point and skiing in the mountains at Vernon... getting lost going around the green at Morristown in a snowstorm... driving down the Parkway going down Shore even if it takes three hours to get to that Exit 0... boardwalks and shoreline and sand to squish in between the toes all in the same day... and yeah never being too far from a mall so what of it? ;-)

But most of all... I love Jersey because of our friends there.

:-)

Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Don't let people who want to blame their failures on their place of residence stop you from going where you want to go.
Whoaaaaaa...........why infer there were any "failures" involved.....perhaps they just woke up to the facts and made and made a logical, intelligent decision ?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofietrt View Post
I claim dibs! ;-) I'm so hoping to move to NJ sometime soon. Yes with my eyes wide open because I've been coming here on extended visits (business and leisure) for years. My dh and I have had permenant residence in TX for years, raised our kid, and yeah the cost of living was cheap compared to other parts of the US. I won't bash TX either because there are good things about living here but... but... it just doesn't have that same feel.

Manhattan will stimulate my senses in ways both urbane and edgy. I like it. But for me Manhattan is not about comfort. No matter how much time I spend there, it's never about comfort.

I go to Jersey when I'm done with the city and want comfort. Sure... I can understand and appreciate the economics driving some people away. Yet I've talked to people who have left, and most say they end up missing Jersey eventually if they be honest... and they miss it terribly.

For me... I'm smitten by Taylor ham and hard roll and diners good and bad... Empire Coffee in Hoboken then eating Pinoy in a Jersey City turo turo... fine dining to the best hot dog I've ever eaten there in Cape May... theater in New Brunswick and taking the "Dinky" to Princeton... admiring the four seasons and especially Autumn where there is change in the leaves (unlike TX)... driving Jersey back roads through picturesque boroughs that most people wouldn't dream could be a part of the NJ landscape... hiking at High Point and skiing in the mountains at Vernon... getting lost going around the green at Morristown in a snowstorm... driving down the Parkway going down Shore even if it takes three hours to get to that Exit 0... boardwalks and shoreline and sand to squish in between the toes all in the same day... and yeah never being too far from a mall so what of it? ;-)

But most of all... I love Jersey because of our friends there.

:-)

Excellent post! I wish I could give you rep points for the next hour, but I sent what I could your way.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 PM

329 posts, read 459,968 times
Default Support one another as N.J. residents

New Jersey has its pros and cons like any other state.

People who have some concerns about living in N.J. shouldn't be told to just move. They have legitimate frustrations, and are simply asking for someone to listen and voice their input, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Plenty of folks read these forums to decide where to visit or where to move to, and it probably doesn't help them to see people on here attacking their own fellow New Jersey residents. New Jersey depends heavily on tourist income, another reason to keep the discussion respectful of one another. We can agree to disagree.

Whether one realizes it or not, we're all dependent on one other and N.J. residents can either choose to help or hurt each other- i.e. someone may come on to this board and voice their frustrations about this state, but they still shop and buy products here and support businesses here, and help people that have jobs here. This helps ALL of us living in N.J.

Just because someone doesn't like to pay high taxes does not mean it's a personal attack against you or your family if you have New Jersey roots. Even on this thread, you'll notice that there are many who speak fondly of New Jersey, but no longer live here for varying reasons. I don't understand why someone who voices their concerns, and who DOES live here, and is paying taxes- which helps all of us that live here-is being attacked just because it's getting more difficult for them to afford living here. Not everyone that lives in N.J. has unlimited income, and no longer being able to afford living here IS a legitimate issue, and certainly fair for discussion, especially on a website called
City-Data.com

I think a large portion of the dissatisfaction may be stemming from the less-than-wise decisions some of our elected officials have made and our frustrations that we as state residents have been forgotten by the very people who are supposed to be helping us.

Property taxes, traffic and roads are some of the issues you hear about quite frequently on the N.J. boards-areas where government should be taking a much more active, and certainly a more effective role in. There are plenty of roads in New Jersey that were built years ago and are not designed for the level of traffic and modern vehicles. That's something that needs to be addressed by government, but it takes taxpayers and residents-us- to bring attention to these issues.

New Jersey has a beautiful landscape, great schools (they better for the what we pay in property taxes ) and is central to many major cities. I'm sure that this and many other reasons are why many choose to continue living here, despite their concerns.

Voice your concern with all of your elected officials. They work for us.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM

4 posts, read 6,910 times
Default New Jersey can be both good and bad

I can understand the original rant. The taxes, the corruption, yes, it does suck. It's especially frustrating because, really, there's nothing you can individually do about it. Well, except complain. I guess there's some sort of therapy involved in that!

I moved out of New Jersey 17 years ago. The taxes, fees, and the traffic were just killing me. To this day, I don't regret the move. Day to day life is much easier for me now. Traffic is minimal, and I actually smile when I see my property tax bill. (and no, just because I no longer live in NJ doesn't mean I live in a doublewide.)

All of that being said, I now have to live my life without White Castle Hamburgers, Jimmy Buff's, Taylor Ham, Seaside, and Wildwood. I had to learn to make my own pizza. The pizza outside of New Jersey, well, can it really be called pizza if it's outside of NJ? Real bagels? Not a chance. Hell, we don't even have Dunkin' Donuts.

I guess you get my point. There are different costs in everything. You just have to weigh what most important to you. New Jersey can be both good and bad.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 PM

531 posts, read 2,150,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lala01 View Post
I moved from the midwest to new jersey. I had family and people I met while living in midwest....telling me that New Jersey is the WORST place to live in, but being optimistic I moved to be with friends. I guess you can say my family was right about it so...... Im moving on..... New Jersey has the worst CUSTOMER SERVICE anywhere. I experience people always being rude instead of acting professional in business places.....They act so gettho!!!!! Dont ever move to New Jersey unless you have no class!!!!
haha... don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royfo View Post
I can understand the original rant. The taxes, the corruption, yes, it does suck. It's especially frustrating because, really, there's nothing you can individually do about it. Well, except complain. I guess there's some sort of therapy involved in that!

I moved out of New Jersey 17 years ago. The taxes, fees, and the traffic were just killing me. To this day, I don't regret the move. Day to day life is much easier for me now. Traffic is minimal, and I actually smile when I see my property tax bill. (and no, just because I no longer live in NJ doesn't mean I live in a doublewide.)

All of that being said, I now have to live my life without White Castle Hamburgers, Jimmy Buff's, Taylor Ham, Seaside, and Wildwood. I had to learn to make my own pizza. The pizza outside of New Jersey, well, can it really be called pizza if it's outside of NJ? Real bagels? Not a chance. Hell, we don't even have Dunkin' Donuts.

I guess you get my point. There are different costs in everything. You just have to weigh what most important to you. New Jersey can be both good and bad.
I moved away a few times and regretted it every time, hence, I'm back and have no plans of leaving until retired.

Dunkin' Donuts? This made me laugh. While visiting the out-laws in West Virginia, I couldn't find a good cup of coffee ANYWHERE!! It was all just hot water. I asked if there was a DD around and they really thought I wanted donuts?!! Your post just reminded me of that.

Anyway, I can respect the OP's rant because a lot of what he or she was talking about is true, BUT, there is good and bad everywhere and you just have to weigh out what's really important to you and go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey