Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:22 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,247,751 times

Advertisements

whats your opinion?

has he done a good job with Newark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 02:34 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,720,395 times
I watched him on Bill Maher's show on Friday night. I don't live in Jersey, but I admire him because he really seems truly committed to trying to turn his city around. Which I think he can do but I still think the city has a long way to go. Earlier this year Newark was in the national news after they went almost eight weeks without a murder, which was unheard of in that city. Hopefully similar trends like this will continue.

It does seem to me that Newark was really a poster child for cities that became a repository for undesireable elements, and suffered "white flight" - starting in the 1950s when expressways were carved through the neighborhoods, then with racist city planning like redlining, economic recession in the '70s, the crime and gang epidemic of the '80s and '90s, etc. But I still think it's getting better. Sportscasters have been bragging about their new hockey arena. I'm sure it looks nice in an aerial photograph, and is a nice place for wealthy Manhattan bankers to enjoy a cocktail in a luxury box, but the city shouldn't limit its potential to being a place that only provides entertainment for a few hours and then people go home to their high-end residencies. Every other city that has tried that has failed miserably, and I'd like to see Newark move beyond its tawdry image.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:44 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,849 times
Booker should try to market itself as next great office park near Manhattan

They have lots of flat land suited for this, plus a lot of abandoned industrial space, plus 2 universities, and an ethnic nabe w/ lots of great food, and pub trans

He can spread the word that it will save the meadowlands from being ripped up, and save newark at the same time

crime is bad, but so was manhattan right before the gentrification

Old 11-09-2008, 04:23 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,949,614 times
I don't know much about him, but I have always admired that a guy who grew up in Harrington Park and does not have any real "reason" to want to take on the mess that is Newark has chosen to do so.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:39 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
I didn't know who he was till I saw him on TV the other night. He seems very intelligent. I liked him. I hope that he has or will make an impact.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:55 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
I developed a lot of respect for Booker after watching the Marshall Curry documentary, "Street Fight." It's a film about Booker's first (failed) attempt to run for mayor in 2002, and throws a lot of dirt on the Sharpe James administration.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I developed a lot of respect for Booker after watching the Marshall Curry documentary, "Street Fight." It's a film about Booker's first (failed) attempt to run for mayor in 2002, and throws a lot of dirt on the Sharpe James administration.
AWESOME documentary!

Booker is a major step-up from James, but besides The Prudential Center and a few other items, I still think Newark is terrible. There is only so much he can do, and in the end, it comes down to civic pride, which we all know a good number of the residents can care less.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 PM

15 posts, read 87,467 times
that guys got his work cut out for him. Newark is a port city, so aside from the crooked Teamsters union, Police union, Firefighter union, and so on, plus the graft Newark is famous for, plus the legacy of James.....I dont know how he's going to get anything done. The collapse of industry in Newark has freed up some real estate....he may be able to capitalize on that and offer some decent incentives to companys looking to get out of NYC.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 AM

10 posts, read 45,418 times
Cory is a very smart guy from a good family. I am very proud to say that he grew up in my town and is trying to clean up one of the worst cities in NJ. I'm very happy that he never denied that he grew up in Harrington Park but has made Newark his home. I hope that all his hard work in Newark pays off. If Newark thrives then it will take the burden off the rest of our state.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,976,324 times
No matter what Booker has or has not accomplished thus far (as others have pointed out, change takes more than one person) I think that ultimately he's good for Newark. I would challenge HobokenGuy in that Booker's leadership style is the kind that can inspire civic pride. It won't happen overnight though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey