Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 02:23 PM

22 posts, read 53,034 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife and I have decided that the Union County-area is the most convenient area for us in terms of work. We are looking to purchase our first home and want to spend low 400's. Although this budget is tight, we have been able to find some decent homes in Springfield, Scotch Plains, Fanwood, and Clark. We have a little one at home (and another on the way), so schools are important as well. Can someone give me the scoop on these towns; and any others that I may have missed? We are looking for a nice family-friendly town where we can grow, meet new people etc. Any info would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,161,023 times
I believe Mountainside has the lowest property tax of all the towns you listed, so you should take a look. Not sure about school though.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:58 PM

206 posts, read 532,358 times
OP mentioned Mountainside? Of the towns mentioned, i would reco Scotch Plains the most, particularly if the home is not right on the Plainfield border. They are all decent value-for-the-money towns, but usually Scotch Plains-Fanwood is the best school system and its also got some very nice areas near the Westfield border (and proximity to downtown WF)

Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
Scotch Plains would be my recommendation out of the towns you listed. Best schools of the bunch( and really good overall)). Your budget will get you a cape, split or small colonial that needs a little updating.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,572 times
I grew up in Fanwood (some time ago!).

It is the epitome of a nice, small, family friendly town. In many ways Scotch Plains and Fanwood can be considered as one community, although they are 2 different towns. They have a common school system, which was fantastic when I was there (I left for college in '73), and I suspect it is still very good.

Both have a variety of neighborhoods and housing at different price levels.

Dave

Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,771,444 times
Springfield has free part time pre-k and full day kindergarten. If you are only planning to stay a few years, it might be a good choice (I really do not recommend it, the only people that make money on starter homes are brokers). But the north part of Springfield to the south part of Scotch Plains is pretty far, so I guess it depends on where you want to be in Union County

Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 PM

107 posts, read 195,770 times
Scotch Plains / Fanwood are essentially the same thing, both are very nice and they share good schools. Clark schools are OK, (and by what I always notice) the town is not ethnically diverse (I see that as a negative). Springfield is also nice, but I think it had a few cutbacks to its arts (and other) programs a couple years back. Only Scotch Plains / Fanwood has a train station out of the bunch. Scotch Plains / Fanwood is on a slightly higher caliber than the other towns, more prestige. Scotch Plains / Fanwood would be my pick, but your money may go farther in Springfield in terms of taxes.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:31 PM

465 posts, read 606,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycage View Post
Hello. My wife and I have decided that the Union County-area is the most convenient area for us in terms of work. We are looking to purchase our first home and want to spend low 400's. Although this budget is tight, we have been able to find some decent homes in Springfield, Scotch Plains, Fanwood, and Clark. We have a little one at home (and another on the way), so schools are important as well. Can someone give me the scoop on these towns; and any others that I may have missed? We are looking for a nice family-friendly town where we can grow, meet new people etc. Any info would be appreciated!!
I agree with the other posters- go for scotch plains/fanwood. Stay away from Plainfield border, but frankly all of the towns listed are low crime. Diversity would be a plus but safety for families comes first. I should note that the sleepy hollow/nether wood section of Plainfield is a nice section with some beautiful homes.

Last edited by King of the South; 08-01-2014 at 09:52 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 13,734 times
We moved to Scotch Plains last year. Very nice town. Crime free. Schools are good too. My only concern is tax. Scotch plains tax is ridiculously high. For 2014-2015, the average tax raise is 3% to 4% which is very high. Also there is no free pre school programs. Monthly fee is $325 for PreK Program. I love the commute to NYC. Very convenient. NJ Transit Express bus service to NYC is only 50 minutes on a normal weekday. Nice downtown and beautiful parks.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 PM

8 posts, read 10,010 times
Hi I am a local realtor and have lived in Westfield, Cranford, and now live in Scotch Plains. Contact me if you would like any more detailed information about any of these towns or to see some current listing so you can compare them. I can be reached at robin.azcarraga@bhhsnj.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey