Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Home buy - Crawl base mold - advice
Yes, buy this home, as the mold can be removed 3 21.43%
Yes, buy this home, as I had experience with this typer of crawl base mold and it can be removed. 3 21.43%
No, do not buy this home. 8 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 10,886 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Please let me know whether to buy the below home or stay away:
It’s a three level 3 bedroom home at central NJ. Due to water pipe leak from the next door, crawl base has mold on all side walls. I have eczema; I am worried on buying this. I would appreciate if you could share your experience on this crawl space mold issue. If anyone had experience on this, please let me know the details like how much would cost for inspection, cleaning and others to remove the mold.

Thanks,
Move2NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,231 times
too many houses out there for you to buy something that can be harmful to your health. move on and find another place. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,107 times
I voted no but it isn't based on some deep knowledge of mold and it's removal. It might be that it isn't difficult to remove but that would just make me wonder why they didn't do it themselves. We have a dehumidifier with a guage that runs automatically to make sure that the basement can't ever get moist enough for mold to grow. I would be wondering what else I would find in a house owned by someone who would just let this go unchecked.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,858,634 times
What humidity level do you keep that at in the basement. Just out of curiosity. We find our basement to be a little stinky and I am wanting to get a de-humidifer down there. Oddly enough I want to install a humidifier in the rest of the house since we have forced dry hot air.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,619,549 times
The house we bought was 2 years old and had a minor mold count in the attic, the inspector told us to use bleach and it worked.......even after 1 year we have no more mold.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,107 times
Joe - how annoying. Don't you wish you could just shoot the moisture upstairs? I was told that the humidity has to be above 40% for it to be possible for mold to grow. My sister's fiance had health problems related to mold exposure so I trust her research.

When we keep it at that range there is no "basement smell" at all. I'll even hang wet clothes to dry down there and they smell nice and fresh. We got ours at either lowes or hd. You can set the the percentage and it turns itself on and off. It also has a timer you can use to turn it on or off if you don't want it to run all day.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:43 AM

55 posts, read 197,501 times
Did you have a home inspection or have you not made an offer that has been accepted? You can ask the homeowner to deal with it or even ask for a credit for it off the purchase price of the home. If this is house that you really are in love with then try that route. Other than that like someone said before there are a ton of houses on the market right now move on. It might not be worth the headache.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:00 PM

8 posts, read 21,192 times
call a mold remedation company and they will come and give you a estimate, and let you know how bad it is. it could be thousands of dollars to fix, i had a home built by k hovian and after 3 years the walk out basement had mold. they had a company come in and rip out the sheetrock and clean it up. the mold company was out of fairlawn nj. i dont know what it cost cause i did not have to pay for it. but some forms of mold can make you very sick or kill you

Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,813 times
I agree with monack. I'd be inclined to walk away from the deal.

But, if the place is your dream home and you absolutely want it, I would insist the seller complete remediation and pay for the work. Or, insist on a drop in the price of the house to cover the work if the seller refuses to pay.

As others have mentioned, the price can be high depending upon how far-reaching the problem is. You also mentioned it was caused by a broken pipe on the neighbor's property. Can it be confirmed the pipe is actually fixed and not leaking into/onto the property you are buying?

Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move2nj View Post
Hi,

Please let me know whether to buy the below home or stay away:
It’s a three level 3 bedroom home at central NJ. Due to water pipe leak from the next door, crawl base has mold on all side walls. I have eczema; I am worried on buying this. I would appreciate if you could share your experience on this crawl space mold issue. If anyone had experience on this, please let me know the details like how much would cost for inspection, cleaning and others to remove the mold.

Thanks,
Move2NJ
From next door .......I assume this means from the house next door ? If so.....a) thats hard to prove and b) thats a lot of water from a pipe leak to fill/affect a crawl space. A crawl space can be remediated for mold, however, unless the moisture source that created the mold is also eliminated at the same time the mold will come back. I performed home inspections for 20+ years....over 5000 homes inspections and I have heard all kinds of excuses for mold......leakage from a pipe next door is a new one. I'd sooner suspect the source is within the crawl space and more extensive steps are needed as opposed to just remediating the existing mold. In your situation I'd pass it by !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: