Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:00 AM

29 posts, read 146,000 times

Advertisements

We live in Essex County and were recently quoted $3200 to repair our chimney. This includes a cap on the chimney, a stainless steel liner inserted down to the boiler, repairing some loose brick on the roof chimney, and something involving the "flashing."

Fair price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 12:08 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
flashing is the area where the chimney meets the roof. It is important because it's typically where leaks happen.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:17 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,767 times
If they use a three wall tubing, and cap, going down to the boiler, then it may be about right.

Years ago, a 3 foot section would cost you 100 bucks, and you would need about 13 pieces for a 2 storied home. (Prices vary from what ever section of Country you are from)... But, that was in the 80s, so, its way, way up by now.

Doing brick work is what going to cost you. Rebuilding a chimney is expensive, since they are working many stories off the ground, plus, if they do any damage to the roof, they are responsible.

Your also paying for thier labor, and thier Insurance, that they have to have, before they can even go up on your roof, (ALWAYS ask for proof of Insurance, because if not, YOUR liable if someone falls off your roof!!!).

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-03-2011, 06:18 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
sounds like they're talking about a liner, not a 3 wall chimney pipe. This stuff looks like basically metal flex stuff that you use for your kitchen hood exhaust I think, but it's Stainless.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:00 PM

99 posts, read 478,115 times
Hey mbcd,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcd View Post
We live in Essex County and were recently quoted $3200 to repair our chimney. This includes a cap on the chimney, a stainless steel liner inserted down to the boiler, repairing some loose brick on the roof chimney, and something involving the "flashing."

Fair price?
Just a few questions:

Why are you considering having this work done? Is it because you know/suspect there is something wrong with the chimney or are you changing your furnace?

If you are converting from oil to gas, this work needs to be done. However, the chimney should be cleaned before the new liner is installed. If there is a suspected blockage, you should look up inside the chimney with a bright light to verify that such a problem exists.

The problem with chimney repair and liners is that the customer often doesn't know what is going on inside the chimney. You wouldn't want to be sold a bill of goods. I strongly suggest getting references from the company along with the proof of liability insurance.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 PM

151 posts, read 528,365 times
OK, for starters, I think all these chimney guys are crooks! Sorry to say that, but if you google around a bit, you'll find lots of news stories about them scamming people. I had a chimney company come to clean my chimneys (furnace and fireplace) and they told me I needed a new liner in my furnace chimney, because it was falling apart. They said it was an emergency repair that was absolutely necessary. What did I know? It cost 2K. I didn't feel right about it and ended up stopping payment on the check that night. After going back and forth with the "owner", he admitted his guys did the work wrong and came and redid the whole thing. (This was after the fire inspector from my town came and checked it out at my request).

My mom had her furnace and gas fireplace liners replaced about 5 yrs. ago, same situation. Now she's selling her house and the inspection showed a problem with the connection of the liner to the furnace, or something like that. She had a company come out and check it, because the people that did it are long gone out of business, and it turns out the liner they put in didn't even reach the bottom and was only 4". So they removed it, put two new stainless steel caps on and fixed some brick work and flashing on the roof for $575. They did not replace the liner, the new owners will have that done.

Whatever you do, research the company and get several estimates. I would even ask for references and check with the BBB. I think 3K sounds like a lot.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:18 PM

99 posts, read 478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS Mom View Post
I had a chimney company come to clean my chimneys (furnace and fireplace) and they told me I needed a new liner in my furnace chimney, because it was falling apart. They said it was an emergency repair that was absolutely necessary.
That once happened to me also. The bait is the ad that advertises a chimney cleaning/sweeping for $30 - $50. And 9 out of 10 times, the guy will perform an "inspection" and tell you your clay-tile liner is falling apart and will obstruct the chimney's ventilation thus backing up carbon monoxide into your house and killing everyone inside.

So, the only way to save yourself from this dire fate is give them the go-ahead to dropping-down a lightweight metal flex liner that will shrink the size of the chimney cavity, probably tear on a rough spot as it's being installed, and stick a $30 chimney cap on top of the whole thing. Sure, you may be $4,000 poorer, but look how many lives you've just saved

Anytime a contractor says an emergency repair is needed, unless you see the actual emergency situation for yourself, you should take that to mean they have a bill they have gotten their second or third notice about paying, and the actual emergency involves them satisfying the debt to avoid lawsuits and credit downgrades.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 AM

151 posts, read 528,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampLighter View Post
Anytime a contractor says an emergency repair is needed, unless you see the actual emergency situation for yourself, you should take that to mean they have a bill they have gotten their second or third notice about paying, and the actual emergency involves them satisfying the debt to avoid lawsuits and credit downgrades.
LOL, exactly!

Old 12-04-2011, 01:43 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,631 times
Quote:
were recently quoted $3200 to repair our chimney
What brought on this repair. did you notice issues? I'd get more than one quote from a company that has a good track record.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,726 times
Wish I read this post before getting chimney repairs TODAY!

Needed a cleaning and a cap... and ended up paying 1,200 for various things. Feeling pretty robbed but just went ahead because I have been wanting the work done for a while.

1,200 for (1) cap/ damper, (1) cap, (6) small vent cap (this was just a throw in), sealant/ repair on the crowns and water proofing.

The water proofing seems like quite a scam in hindsight. I actually wanted to take it off and the guy was all "then I cant pass you for inspection"... and I just signed the line. I kind of new better but did it anyway. ugh!!

Oh well.... live and learn.

To top Post:
Quote:
a stainless steel liner inserted down to the boiler
I have heard that liner is actually expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey