Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:28 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I'm curious as to why people refer to Asbury Park as a "city" ... I googled it and it only has about 18,000 people living there, which is less than many suburbs. And AP looks pretty suburban to me. Why does it bear the moniker of "city" ??
Guess you haven't been there. It's pretty densely populated enough to be considered a city, even though it's only 18K. South Amboy is also a city and that's like 8K, though much more stable.

Anyhow, I'm still waiting to see what everyone is talking about, with the area turning around. I was there last year at Asbury Lanes and did not feel safe at all. Kept going outside every 10 minutes to make sure my car was OK. There's still drive-by shootings in the area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,483 times
Thank you guys so much for the honest input; I really appreciate it. I guess I'll get an apt in a neighboring beach town, and just go into AP once in a while for drinks! :-)

Old 05-17-2010, 09:39 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Guess you haven't been there. It's pretty densely populated enough to be considered a city, even though it's only 18K. South Amboy is also a city and that's like 8K, though much more stable.

Anyhow, I'm still waiting to see what everyone is talking about, with the area turning around. I was there last year at Asbury Lanes and did not feel safe at all. Kept going outside every 10 minutes to make sure my car was OK. There's still drive-by shootings in the area as well.
Oh, I've been there. Looks like the suburbs to me

Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 PM

168 posts, read 494,562 times
Asbury is def not the suburbs? It's pretty dilapidated in most parts, and most parts are pretty scary (around RR tracks and Brookdale Culinary Center esp.) Def not suburbia, safe would never be a word I use to describe asbury.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:42 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I'm curious as to why people refer to Asbury Park as a "city" ... I googled it and it only has about 18,000 people living there, which is less than many suburbs. And AP looks pretty suburban to me. Why does it bear the moniker of "city" ??
Terms such as "city", "town", "township", "Borough", "Village", and any other terms indicate the type of government that a municipality uses. There are also Census Designated Places (CDP) which are part of a larger municipality. An example would be Mays Landing, a CDP located in Hamilton Township in Atlantic County.

As for Asbury Park, I've driven through there a few times, and it doesn't look that unsafe (mind you, you should still lock everything up and be careful at night). I think it depends mostly on where you go as always, and more importantly it's a case of people assuming a place is worse/better than it actually is.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:31 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Terms such as "city", "town", "township", "Borough", "Village", and any other terms indicate the type of government that a municipality uses. There are also Census Designated Places (CDP) which are part of a larger municipality. An example would be Mays Landing, a CDP located in Hamilton Township in Atlantic County.

As for Asbury Park, I've driven through there a few times, and it doesn't look that unsafe (mind you, you should still lock everything up and be careful at night). I think it depends mostly on where you go as always, and more importantly it's a case of people assuming a place is worse/better than it actually is.
Well how would you say the area is around Asbury Lanes?

Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Well how would you say the area is around Asbury Lanes?
Not 100% sure where that is, it's near the boardwalk right? I've been to the Stone Pony, and that area is deffinitly sketchy, but the areas away from the boardwalk aren't that bad (especially their mainstreet and that one other street that's like a mainstreet, but isn't and goes east-west). Although granted, I could have been in another town and not realized it.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
The AAA guy who came to charge my battery this past winter said that before doing the AAA battery gig, he was driving a tow truck. Said he towed a car to a garage in AP, pulled out and was waiting at the light at the end of the street when somebody knocked on his window and put a gun in his face. Took his wallet AND the tow truck.

I also keep seeing newspaper items in the APP about shootings here and there--on the other hand, I work with someone who lives in AP and seems to be a regular family guy who comes home and goes down to the beach with his sons to fish after work.

Just some stories, make of them what you will.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,945 times
Seriously, downtown Asbury is crap at night. There are tgree streets that are semi ok if the shops are open. Residential housing rentals are paid by section 8 housing and the people from the projects are bringing the projects to third ave, down the beach, lake ave. Gangs used to be stuck in the projects, now they are even on the nice streets. It's deceptive, I know people girls at work that "grew up and are still in AP", they know better than Surf guy. Why don't you mention the 2/3 of Asbury that is like "The Wire". I jog w my toddler at the boardwalk everyday, but I'll be damned if I take him back at night. Last time we went for fireworks a girl gang shot a 16 year old at the boardwalk. This doesn't happen in Tinton Falls. Please do everyone a favor and explain any part of Asbury west of Main Street other than Sunset Ave.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,945 times
Go to the beach it's wonderful, but that's it. If you don't wanna risk turning down the wrong street or just like to avoid a town at night with 80% of kids under 27 in 1 of the 5 major gangs- Bloods are everywhere, 5 percenters, Latin Kings, some Crips, etc. This is NOT a joke. The crackheads will be the ones to rob you, they'll ask for money, then take everything else and lump you up afterwards. A town rebuilding, that can never be rebuilt. Why is it 3-4% sales tax. Cause it's mostly second hand stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey