Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:38 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,358,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
You could have him send the money as cash or a bank cashiers check and tell him that when you receive it you'll remove the ad ? Although...it does seem strange...what will it cost to have his "movers" drive from Ohio and back to pick up a dryer ?
We sold a juke box on Ebay to someone many hours away. They sent a check for half and then when it cleared they came in their own truck with the rest in cash and picked it up. Maybe b/c it was Ebay it was easier... idk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 07:11 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,621,454 times
Surprise, surprise.... no response back since I said "CASH" and in person. For anyone else doing the craigslist thing, the email address used by this slime ball was johnrhodes@gmail.com

Old 01-24-2009, 08:00 AM

20 posts, read 125,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee1967 View Post
This definitely sounds like a scam. I remember reading somewhere not to deal with personal checks on Craigs list - cash or money orders only. Great - now I'm going to hold off again posting on Craigs list!
I buy and sell on Craigslist and I think it is the best thing ever, but you need to use some caution. When I buy, I never travel too far to see the item. If you travel 45 minutes you are more likely to buy it just because you spent so much time and gas on the trip. Then you can have buyers regret. And when I sell, I advise the potential buyer not to travel too far to see the item and I always have someone else at home for the pick up or viewing.

I've never been scammed and everyone who bought from me picked up the item in a timely manner. As I buyer, I have regretted some purchases that seemed like deals at the time.

Don't give up on Graigslsit. It is an amazingly effective way to transfer used goods from seller to buyer........

Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,623,516 times
I just sold my sons bedroom set on Craigs list within 24 hours, a guy came here to see it and said he wanted it (he knew it was a steal) I told him cash only he asked me to hold it for a couple hours and he was back in 2 hours with a van and cash. I kinda felt bad for the woman who was coming the following day. But first come first serve. I would tell the guy cash only who knows if his check is any good or even his.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:23 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,623,516 times
Come to think of it, last month I bought my son snowboard boots on sale for $104 he wore them once and won't wear them anymore, since the store will not take them back I have the reciept and box I should try Craigs list........hmmmmmmmmm ty Wiley for the idea!!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:31 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,770,329 times
Craigslist is really great. Just beware.

I loved when I was giving away kittens, all the people from Africa that so desperately wanted them for their sick little kids......
Don't they have kittens in Africa?? I knew it was a scam. I specifically post "no scammers" and since then, have had a lot less emails from the scammers. Not too bad.

Ebay is also really great and never had a scammer buy anything from there. I guess because they have to pay up front, it's less of a possibilty.

Don't give up, Wiley.
And Marye711, selling those boots on craigslist is a great idea. Why keep them around if he isn't going to use them.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM

8 posts, read 32,216 times
I use Craigslist for one thing only: posting curb alerts for free junk I don't want any more. I put the junk way out in the front of my property, and let the scavengers have at it (they always do). There have been too many weirdos and wackos on Craigslist around here (not all of them from Nigeria!) and I don't want to deal with them. I sell my other stuff on eBay.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 AM

42 posts, read 91,961 times
i post things on craigslist weekly. i always get these kind of emails, like people from crazy countries wanting to buy things from me....i just ignore them. if people are really interested, they'll usually give you a phone number to call them on.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:31 AM

50 posts, read 174,123 times
This is not the write check for more and get cash back scam. It is straight up identify theft.

They get your basics, then cant send the check for some reason and ask for your account number. Now they have enough info together they can put together the rest of the puzzle and the bilk your credit rating dry before you know what even happened.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:47 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,770,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJames View Post
This is not the write check for more and get cash back scam. It is straight up identify theft.

They get your basics, then cant send the check for some reason and ask for your account number. Now they have enough info together they can put together the rest of the puzzle and the bilk your credit rating dry before you know what even happened.
Do people really still fall for this??? I can't imagine giving out my info like that....For someone to BUY something from me?? Why do they need any info other than where to pick it up and my phone number? These are questions that anyone selling should consider before they give out any info. In these cases, seller beware.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey