Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
No it has nothing to do with that. Why does everyone blame Newark for their high taxes? I don't see people in Bergen County blaming Hackensack--Teaneck for their high taxes.

Bottom line is your taxes are higher because you are closer to Morris County.
Not true. Look at Glen Ridge's tax burden. Glen Ridge doesn't border Morris County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 AM

526 posts, read 1,392,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
No it has nothing to do with that. Why does everyone blame Newark for their high taxes? I don't see people in Bergen County blaming Hackensack--Teaneck for their high taxes.

Bottom line is your taxes are higher because you are closer to Morris County.

??? what does Morris County have to do with high taxes in Essex County??????

Old 01-29-2009, 08:13 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
morris county isn't that great--trust me
if you don't like mendham, i can't see how you'd like any of the other towns mentioned here.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM

825 posts, read 3,162,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
if you don't like mendham, i can't see how you'd like any of the other towns mentioned here.
it's all about culture and location. I'm Italian with a slight hint of Middle Eastern (my grandfather is from Iran). A person like me does not fit in an affluent waspy town, like Mendham which is where I grew up. You'd be surprised how much dirt I got from people because of my heritage.

I'm still a young guy so I've been looking to get out of here and be closer to like real towns. Towns with good culture, and towns that are closer to places like malls, etc. Unlike Mendham where you have to take narrow roads jsut to get out of town and then travel through one or two more towns just to get on a highway. It's ridiculous.

However, Mendham is a beautiful town. It's just not the right place for me, you see. Do you honestly think I will be dissatisfied in any of the other towns mentioned in this thread?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 21,373 times
Default Taxes in West Caldwell

I don't know how someone came up with $16,000 - $18,000 in taxes for a house worth around $600,00. We sold our house in West Caldwell in 2005 for $650,000 and our taxes were about $10,000 or so. The house I had before that is now worth about $500,000 - and the taxes were about $8,000. There are a couple of new houses built in West Caldwell in the past five years, and their taxes are probably higher - but those houses would go for considerably more than 600,000.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 PM

when do you think they'll ever resolve this tax issue? it turns a lot of potential buyers in that area off. and it prevents a lot of people from having the option of buying in that area. it's a shame too because, in my opinion, the Caldwells are a wonderful area, and so is the West Essex area in general.

i think i'm better cut out for that area than any waspy or irish catholic towns here in Morris. i plan on becoming a cop soon, i'm studying criminal justice, and cops are paid a lot in north jersey, but i don't think a cop can afford those taxes.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
it's all about culture and location. I'm Italian with a slight hint of Middle Eastern (my grandfather is from Iran). A person like me does not fit in an affluent waspy town, like Mendham which is where I grew up. You'd be surprised how much dirt I got from people because of my heritage.

I'm still a young guy so I've been looking to get out of here and be closer to like real towns. Towns with good culture, and towns that are closer to places like malls, etc. Unlike Mendham where you have to take narrow roads jsut to get out of town and then travel through one or two more towns just to get on a highway. It's ridiculous.

However, Mendham is a beautiful town. It's just not the right place for me, you see. Do you honestly think I will be dissatisfied in any of the other towns mentioned in this thread?

why didn't you say that in the beginning? you asked:

=========

1) Which is the better high school? West Essex or James Caldwell?

2) Which has better middle and elementary schools?

3) Which town is the nicest and most pleasant to live in?

4) Is there a strong sense of community in any of these towns? Are they community-oriented? Do people know each other well? Good neighbors?

5) Which has more parks and community centers where people like to gather and congregate?
======
what do any of those questions have to do about accepting you because of your background or that you want culture you feel is lacking in Mendham?

you asked questions and implied Mendham did not have what you were seeking. Mendham has EVERYTHING on that list. If that's not what you really wanted to know, you should've have asked right off the bat.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why didn't you say that in the beginning? you asked:

=========

1) Which is the better high school? West Essex or James Caldwell?

2) Which has better middle and elementary schools?

3) Which town is the nicest and most pleasant to live in?

4) Is there a strong sense of community in any of these towns? Are they community-oriented? Do people know each other well? Good neighbors?

5) Which has more parks and community centers where people like to gather and congregate?
======
what do any of those questions have to do about accepting you because of your background or that you want culture you feel is lacking in Mendham?

you asked questions and implied Mendham did not have what you were seeking. Mendham has EVERYTHING on that list. If that's not what you really wanted to know, you should've have asked right off the bat.
I'm sorry. but I was also curious of how the schools and community were like. they seem nice on the outside, but I was just making sure that I wasn't being deceived. because culture and stuff isn't all important. good schools, good community, and friendly people are important too, and yes mendham has all of that but... yeah. it's a nice town and all, but not the right place for me.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM

well, I guess that's it?

i'll take what every one said into consideration and hopefully i will do alright with the information given. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey