Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 PM

825 posts, read 3,161,144 times

Advertisements

North, West, and Caldwell. Three different towns that share a common name. I've been through the area and visited a couple of times. Like it a lot, considering moving there. All I have in an outsider's perspective. It's a very risky move relocating to an area based on an outsider's prospective. Anyone else have the scoop on this area? Any opinions or perspectives of residents?

This is my view of it:

Caldwell- A nice little borough, more urban than the others. Not a bad town though.

West Caldwell- More suburban than Caldwell, with more shopping and commerce areas.

North Caldwell- Rich, affluent area. Home to fictional mob boss Tony Soprano.

***Things I would like to know***

1) Which is the better high school? West Essex or James Caldwell?

2) Which has better middle and elementary schools?

3) Which town is the nicest and most pleasant to live in?

4) Is there a strong sense of community in any of these towns? Are they community-oriented? Do people know each other well? Good neighbors?

5) Which has more parks and community centers where people like to gather and congregate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:53 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times
Default I'd choose Caldwell and West Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
***Things I would like to know***
1) Which is the better high school? West Essex or James Caldwell?
2) Which has better middle and elementary schools?
3) Which town is the nicest and most pleasant to live in?
4) Is there a strong sense of community in any of these towns? Are they community-oriented? Do people know each other well? Good neighbors?
5) Which has more parks and community centers where people like to gather and congregate?
I lived in Caldwell and West Caldwell for over a decade, and I'd say your views of the towns are somewhat correct. Here's my take:

1+2) "Better" is a relative term. One could nitpick about academics, but I place more importance on who is running the school. I don't know the people in West Essex, but at James Caldwell High School principal Kevin Barnes is the right man for the job. There are no "bad schools," but among elementary schools, Wilson probably has the best reputation. (It boils down to a question of demanding an A+ school or if just an A school is okay.)

4) Other than being politically separate with each having its own mayor, municipal staff, police force and fire departments, Caldwell and West Caldwell share many commonalities that tend to make the two seem like one big town. They have a unified school district. The joint WestCaldwell-Caldwell Recreation Department is second to none! Programs are numerous and well-run. Neighbors tend to be friendly and community oriented. However, people are territorial and not that open to outsiders who disturb their norms. (Read into that what you wish.)

5) Parks are attractive and abundant in Caldwell and West Caldwell. Community activities are frequent and well-attended. The summer concert series at the Gazebo is not to be missed!

3) Depends on your preferences. As for me...
* I'd lean towards the Cedars section of Caldwell because I like large, older homes and it's close to Grover Cleveland Park.
* The best deals on houses today are likely in "The Flats" of West Caldwell. If budget is an issue, look there or "in-town" in Caldwell.
* Overall, I'm not a fan of North Caldwell because I'm not in the socioeconomic group to be comfortable there. Status and possessions are not that important to me.

If I had to return to Essex County, nearly anywhere in Caldwell and West Caldwell would be on the very top of my list of places to live in. Be aware though, that rush-hour traffic is ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:40 PM

thank you very much.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:12 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,814 times
Maverick gave a good answer. Not sure if you are aware though, for say a 600K home in those towns you will be looking at 16K to 18K in property taxes. If that is ok with you move forward, otherwise consider Union County towns, & Morris County towns, with just as good schools, and much more civil property taxes.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:04 PM

yea that's insane, those taxes. i guess they wanna keep people out in order to preserve the niceness of that area.

i'm in Morris County right now, as a matter of fact, and like bleh... the only places I can stand here are like Forham Park, Madison, East Hanover, and Parsipanny.

and just out of curiosity. what are some nice towns down in Union? i was born in Summit. Westfield seems nice as well as Springfield and Kenilworth. i kind of like this little town called Roselle Park, you know abything about there?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,814 times
Only ones I would strongly recommend are Summit, Springfield, New Providence, and Berkley Heights for Union. For Morris, I would say Convent Station Section of Morris Twp. Madison, Chatham, and Florham Park.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:41 PM

yeah, does anyone know what's with the insanely high taxes? is it really because people of the Caldwells pay for all the mistakes in Newark, East Orange, and Irvington and wherever else?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 PM

107 posts, read 383,335 times
Westfield, Fanwood and Scotch Plains are nice towns in Union as well.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
yeah, does anyone know what's with the insanely high taxes? is it really because people of the Caldwells pay for all the mistakes in Newark, East Orange, and Irvington and wherever else?
No it has nothing to do with that. Why does everyone blame Newark for their high taxes? I don't see people in Bergen County blaming Hackensack--Teaneck for their high taxes.

Bottom line is your taxes are higher because you are closer to Morris County.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM

morris county isn't that great--trust me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey