Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times

Advertisements

I swear to god their must be no requirements to get these jobs except be a minority.

I had a couple of terrible experiences at the dmv and at my college (everyone except the professors)

I realize that the people that get the jobs the public deal with most of the time are not very well paid, but they are just terrible. no private business would allow such incompetence.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,576 times
Geez...quite the bomb-thrower tonight, GRF. Hope tomorrow's a better day for you!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i would respectfully disagree. while doing work with lots of "cooperative private contractor agencies" i found the government did not have a monopoly on incompetence.
the civil servants were often required to redo the work after the contractors blew it.
the tax payers paid 2 times for the same job, but somebody's contractor friends made good money.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:04 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Most of the problems start at the top, IMO. Not that anyone has an excuse to be a crappy worker.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:33 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
I worked for the state for 10 years. Most are not incompetent, BUT the people you deal with are mainly the lower level workers forced to be hired usually because of residency requirements. Yes, we had some really useless individuals, however, as a supervisor, you can make them rise to the task if you are really managing in the right way.

It's not all state workers, most are hard working and care about their work.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:21 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,578 times
Sadly it is not just state workers that suck. Customer service in basically ALL aspect today suck. People don't care and are for the most part RUDE and don't give a damn. Retail, gov't it is all the same. When you notice someone do a really good job (be nice and help you) it seems a rarity which is lame since it is THEIR job to be nice and help you. It is afterall called customer service.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:34 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
My sister just relayed a story to me this morning..after calling unemployment all day she finally got the recording telling her to hold, her wait would be about 1 hour..she had received a card to call.

She was laid of but now her job calls her per diem..when needed and she had to report her hours..she knew she wasn't entitled to benefits this week but called because she didn't want the claim closed as she may work 0 hours next week....

This surly witch says to her..Well you ain't getting no money..sis expalins to her she was doing what was instructed but Ms Surly still comes back with..you ain't getting no money and hung up on her......oh man I would have been fuming and firing off an email to the head clown..Corizime...this is how they treat people...in addition the state may want to recommend a basic how to speak proper English class to these idiots dealing with the public

Old 01-31-2009, 03:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Sadly it is not just state workers that suck. Customer service in basically ALL aspect today suck. People don't care and are for the most part RUDE and don't give a damn. Retail, gov't it is all the same. When you notice someone do a really good job (be nice and help you) it seems a rarity which is lame since it is THEIR job to be nice and help you. It is afterall called customer service.
If you think Customer Service is bad here, go down south!! The work ethic really sucks down there. Try going to a store and needing help down there, they act like they are doing you a major favor AFTER you've waited quite some time for them to quit talking to a coworker or on the phone.
You will praise the customer service you get here in NJ (in the private sector).

Old 01-31-2009, 03:55 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
the state does not hire university employees or have anything to do with them. They are hired like a private company.. so there goes your theory on 'state' workers

Old 01-31-2009, 06:07 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Default Entitlement and Accountability

On the whole, the work ethic today is lousy ... and it's not just state workers. In my opinion, many employees feel like they're entitled to more than what they've bargained for from their employer, and they lack of accountability for the work they perform.

John Kennedy was right: Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country. Well, that's a long forgotten creed for the majority of Americans. Today's creed seems to be, "I will do the minimum I can get away with without getting fired."

How much will the lack of our work ethic cost? The jury is still out on that.

(By the way, I've received phenomenal service from the oft-maligned DMV at the Oakland office. The people there really know what they're doing and they're helpful.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: