Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:03 AM

18 posts, read 122,045 times

Advertisements

Hi again. I've been looking at more townhomes in Piscataway, NJ - places close to RU so I can commute to class. I stumbled upon 3 developments: Maple Woods, Maple Grove, and Birch Glen. I checked out a few homes at Maple Woods and it looks like a good area with good size/priced townhomes. I also noticed a development called Maple Grove with condominiums. Is Maple Grove in any way related to Maple Woods and where is it in comparison to it? Birch Glen is close to Maple Woods, however I was unable to look at any homes there. The homes there look very nice, however I would like personal opinions on all 3 developments. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 12:05 PM

13 posts, read 72,888 times
Default Piscataway Townhomes

I grew up and work right around the corner from these, and can tell you DO NOT BUY AT BIRCH GLEN. I have had friends there, and just from people in the community, these are horribly built. cheap materials and labor. The newer ones, Maple, I believe are ok. the community is good people, schools, etc... Piscataway does have a mayor that likes to spend and throw his "political weight" around, I would look into Middlesex or Dunellen before Piscataway. Good luck

Old 02-07-2009, 02:41 PM

531 posts, read 2,149,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvsp View Post
Hi again. I've been looking at more townhomes in Piscataway, NJ - places close to RU so I can commute to class. I stumbled upon 3 developments: Maple Woods, Maple Grove, and Birch Glen. I checked out a few homes at Maple Woods and it looks like a good area with good size/priced townhomes. I also noticed a development called Maple Grove with condominiums. Is Maple Grove in any way related to Maple Woods and where is it in comparison to it? Birch Glen is close to Maple Woods, however I was unable to look at any homes there. The homes there look very nice, however I would like personal opinions on all 3 developments. Thanks everyone!
Consider Canterbury, opposite side of Birch Run Drive from Maple Grove. Excellent construction, older units.

And if you're interested in commuting to RU, consider Society Hill of Piscataway on Morris Av.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-ian View Post
... DO NOT BUY AT BIRCH GLEN. I have had friends there, and just from people in the community, these are horribly built. cheap materials and labor. The newer ones, Maple, I believe are ok.
You're confused. Birch Glen is newer than Maple Grove.
Quote:
I would look into Middlesex or Dunellen before Piscataway. Good luck
Dungellen? Are you kidding me? Dunellen sucks.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:01 PM

Have you ever been to dunellen? Granted, the plainfield side is rough, but it is a small knit community with GOOD PEOPLE, and besides plainfield area, nice well kept homes. And no I'm not confused, I drive by the townhouses every day and out of the 25+ years I've been land surveying and seeing construction, THOSE ARE BUILT HORRIBLY!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to dunellen? Granted, the plainfield side is rough, but it is a small knit community with GOOD PEOPLE, and besides plainfield area, nice well kept homes. And no I'm not confused, I drive by the townhouses every day and out of the 25+ years I've been land surveying and seeing construction, THOSE ARE BUILT HORRIBLY!
Yes I use the Dunellen train station regularly. It's a crap town. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they were poor and had bad credit

You drive by the townhouses? Good for you. Birch Glen is still newer than Maple Grove, whether you drive by them or not

Old 02-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Ok look, if you are coming off of possumtown road, onto birch run drive towards mountain avenue, the first phase of birch glen is on the left. It has been completed for a couple of years. They are built like crap. As far as dunellen, you cant see it all from rte 28, which is probably all you see. And no, i would not recommend pisc to anyone, due to the weasel of a mayor that is in office, (mr. Eminent domain). And this is coming from someone who's ancestors founded pisc!(fitz-randolph) try to get your facts straight next time.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Ok look, if you are coming off of possumtown road, onto birch run drive towards mountain avenue, the first phase of birch glen is on the left. It has been completed for a couple of years. They are built like crap.
Correct. It is new and it is crap.

Which has nothing to do with the original point of contention. You said in an earlier post that Maple Grove is newer and I was disagreeing with that. Maple Grove came before Birch Glen. Canterbury came before Maple Grove.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:30 PM

18 posts, read 122,045 times
I did not like Canterbury. The prices on those homes are cheap, however there is a massive powerline and industrial train track that runs behind the homes. Definitely not a good location.

Can anyone clarify the difference between Maple Grove and Maple Woods? All I have seen so far was that Maple Grove has condos whereas Maple Woods has both condos and townhouses. I don't think this is accurate, however that is all I could determine through the home listings. Also, is Birch Glen homes that poorly built?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I did not like Canterbury. The prices on those homes are cheap, however there is a massive powerline and industrial train track that runs behind the homes. Definitely not a good location.
I don't dispute the fact that there's a powerline behind Canterbury. However, you should know that train noise is a much more serious issue in Maple Grove and Maple Woods than it is in Canterbury. The industrial train line behind Canterbury is infrequently used and the trains that use it do not blow the horn in the middle of the night. On the other hand, the RARV line which runs parallel to Lincoln Blvd. has very frequent passenger and freight trains, is very close to Maple Woods and close to a large part of Maple Grove ... and these trains blow the horn very loud at night. It's quite faint from Canterbury but extremely disruptive at Maple Woods. Basically, to avoid train noise, you want to be as far as possible from that line.

Quote:
Can anyone clarify the difference between Maple Grove and Maple Woods? All I have seen so far was that Maple Grove has condos whereas Maple Woods has both condos and townhouses. I don't think this is accurate, however that is all I could determine through the home listings.
Maple Woods is newer, for one. From oldest to newest, it's Canterbury, Maple Grove, Birch Glen and Maple Woods. However, there is some overlap (timewise) between Birch Glen and Maple Woods. I know for a fact that Maple Grove has both single-story and multiple-story units, both 2 and 3 bedroom. As for Maple Woods, I know for a fact that they have townhouses (3br, multiple-story) but am not sure whether they have condos (2 br, single story) or not.

Quote:
Also, is Birch Glen homes that poorly built?
I can't vouch for that personally, but this thread isn't the first place I've heard it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey