Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:28 AM

825 posts, read 3,161,342 times

Advertisements

talk if you will, about how Morris County is overrated. I currently live here and I despise it and look forward to escaping it when I go off to college. People say I'm crazy for wanting to leave this county for several reasons. One reason is because it is cheaper to live out here than somewhere closer to New York like Bergen or Essex Counties. Another reason is that Morris County is home to some really nice communities (Mountain Lakes, Mendham, Chatham) that are safe and are quite affluent (they make money sound like its everything).

the main reasons why I dislike Morris County are:

1) Isolation- Towns are incredibly isolated. You have to travel miles down the road just to get to a store in the next town. Whereas in other counties some towns are so close to each other that you can walk there on foot. Now that's convenience! Going to the mall is a whole waste of a Saturday. You got the Rockaway Mall that's all the way out in the boonies. The only other malls are like the Ledgewood Mall, never been though, but I don't hear about it much so it's probably terrible.

2) People- People from Morris County are very strange. It's also a very large county so there's a diverse range of people. You have many affluent people in Mendham, Chester, Mountain Lakes, and Chatham. And then you have some very trashy people in towns I won't name because I don't want to offend anyone, but some of these places are inbelievably trashy, and pretty much anywhere west of I-287 are a bunch of hicks.

3) Transportation- The roads here suck. I-80 is probably my least favorite road to drive on, and 287 is just a mess north of Morristown. And the highway systems are the only ways to get to other towns, because they are so spread out. The back roads just take way too long.

Unfortunately, I have run out of space, so i will continue this argument later on after more people post. Please post if you agree with me or disagree. This could be a pretty interesting thread is people post valid points and make valid arguments against me. I'm just voicing my opinion, and I am just as interested to hear yours whether you agree with my perspective or not. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:35 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Oh please go live in Jersey City or Hoboken...there is nothing wrong with Morris County..you make it sound like it's a crime to be affluent...
There are affluent and trashy people no matter what county you live in

Sounds to me the root of your rant is you may need a more urban area to live so really move to Jersey City, hoboken, Weehawken it may be more to your liking..but be warned there are trashy people as well as affluent and everything in between residing there as well

Old 02-11-2009, 10:39 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Oh please go live in Jersey City or Hoboken...there is nothing wrong with Morris County..you make it sound like it's a crime to be affluent...
There are affluent and trashy people no matter what county you live in

Sounds to me the root of your rant is you may need a more urban area to live so really move to Jersey City, hoboken, Weehawken it may be more to your liking..but be warned there are trashy people as well as affluent and everything in between residing there as well
I agree.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:39 AM

786 posts, read 2,664,826 times
I live in Union, but work in morris county, and for the most part I like it. Basically, the farther away I am from NYC (without going into hillbilly country -lol) the happier I am.

1. Both Mendham and Chester are kinda isolated, but Mountain Lakes is next to 46 and Chatham is in a densely populated area close to Essex already I believe. Mountain lakes especially is a very nice town, with historical homes clustered close together. Chatham is over-priced, with tiny homes, and not as good looking from what I could see when we went there for a party.

2. ML, Chester, and Mendham are all west of 287. They trashy?

3. Trashy in what way?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:42 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Sounds like the opinions of a 17 year-old......

Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,634,376 times
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, my friend. Every town, and every county, has its good points and bad points.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:46 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
talk if you will, about how Morris County is overrated. I currently live here and I despise it and look forward to escaping it when I go off to college. People say I'm crazy for wanting to leave this county for several reasons. One reason is because it is cheaper to live out here than somewhere closer to New York like Bergen or Essex Counties. Another reason is that Morris County is home to some really nice communities (Mountain Lakes, Mendham, Chatham) that are safe and are quite affluent (they make money sound like its everything).

the main reasons why I dislike Morris County are:

1) Isolation- Towns are incredibly isolated. You have to travel miles down the road just to get to a store in the next town. Whereas in other counties some towns are so close to each other that you can walk there on foot. Now that's convenience! Going to the mall is a whole waste of a Saturday. You got the Rockaway Mall that's all the way out in the boonies. The only other malls are like the Ledgewood Mall, never been though, but I don't hear about it much so it's probably terrible.
Incredibly isolated? I am less than a mile from two decent downtown areas. Not to mention you have the whole Morristown, Madison, Chatham where everything is very close by. Most of Morris is very well connected. Only when you get very far west do things become more "isolated." As for malls, you do have Rockaway and Ledgewood, but you also have Short Hills- probably one of the most upscale malls in the country. I dunno though, to me there is more to life than malls.

Quote:
2) People- People from Morris County are very strange. It's also a very large county so there's a diverse range of people. You have many affluent people in Mendham, Chester, Mountain Lakes, and Chatham. And then you have some very trashy people in towns I won't name because I don't want to offend anyone, but some of these places are inbelievably trashy, and pretty much anywhere west of I-287 are a bunch of hicks.
You do realize that 3 out of the 4 "affluent" areas you listed are west of 287 right? (Mountain Lakes, Mendham, Chester)

Quote:
3) Transportation- The roads here suck. I-80 is probably my least favorite road to drive on, and 287 is just a mess north of Morristown. And the highway systems are the only ways to get to other towns, because they are so spread out. The back roads just take way too long.
I-80 in Morris is a revelation compared to the same road that goes through Paterson. Tough to argue with you here though, although go see what Rt. 46 is like in Essex and Rt. 46 in Morris is like a totally different road.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have run out of space, so i will continue this argument later on after more people post. Please post if you agree with me or disagree. This could be a pretty interesting thread is people post valid points and make valid arguments against me. I'm just voicing my opinion, and I am just as interested to hear yours whether you agree with my perspective or not. Thanks.
So are you looking to move out of state or out of Morris County? In case you didnt notice, I disagree with you. I really enjoy living in Morris County and it is one of the few places where in the span of a county you could do from a quaint downtown with easy access to NYC (Madison, Chatham) to the lush rolling hills and farmland out by Chester. We have no tax burden that we have to fund (look to Essex), schools are great, lots of parks, it really has it all.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
>but some of these places are inbelievably trashy, and pretty much anywhere west of I-287 are a bunch of hicks.<

Wayall ya know Bubba, we dun' jus' got 'lektrissity over at da Rokaway Mall jus last week. Scuse me, wheres me sister? Im horny.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
LOL - doesn't every 17 year old hate where they live?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:14 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
I'm sure Weehawken and Hoboken are just drooling over the prospect of adding an erudite and refined soul such as Strapani to their inadequate populations.

I'll bet he could even negotiate a signing bonus before moving in...

-Marc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey