Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 PM

27 posts, read 214,342 times

Advertisements

Ok so ive been asking alot of questions on this subject preparing for my relocation. I have been looking into Weehawken as an alternative to living in NYC. A few people have been suggesting Jersey City to me. looking on the map JC seems quite a bit farther than Weehawken. I'm getting the impression that access to the Path somehow makes up for the distance in that the train may be more consistent to commute by than the buses and private shuttles that would be my lifeline if i lived in Weehawken. Can anyone give a comparison on the two? i plan to spend alot of time in Manhattan and really want a 25 min or under commute for my own sanity. any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popschild View Post
Ok so ive been asking alot of questions on this subject preparing for my relocation. I have been looking into Weehawken as an alternative to living in NYC. A few people have been suggesting Jersey City to me. looking on the map JC seems quite a bit farther than Weehawken. I'm getting the impression that access to the Path somehow makes up for the distance in that the train may be more consistent to commute by than the buses and private shuttles that would be my lifeline if i lived in Weehawken. Can anyone give a comparison on the two? i plan to spend alot of time in Manhattan and really want a 25 min or under commute for my own sanity. any feedback?
Jersey City and Weehawken are the same distance from Manhattan...just different parts of Manhattan. Both Jersey City and Weehawken sit on the Hudson River, directly across the river from NYC. Weehawken is across the river from midtown, Jersey City is across the river from Lower Manhattan/WTC.

Where do you work, and plan on going to when you're in the city?? Do you plan on spending a lot of evenings/nights out in the city? If so, JC hands down...the Path train is 24 hours. I believe the buses to Weehawken stop at 1 am, and then you're forced to take a $50 cab home.

To answer your question simply...it is 10x easier/quicker/more convenient to get into and out of Manhattan if you live in Jersey City.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 AM

45 posts, read 126,009 times
JC & hoboken both have access to the path train. weehawken has bus only... however, you could take the bus either straight into the city or to the path train if that worked better for you. the 126 bus runs until 2am, i believe, if that helps any. you would not have to take a $50 cab ride ever, as far as i'm concerned, because you could always take the path to hoboken and then a cab from there to weehawken would be like $6 or $8.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 AM

43 posts, read 259,298 times
there is bus service to boulevard east in weehawken and new york/bergenline avenue in union city, nb, wny, twenty four hours a day, 2.50 each way so getting back to weehawken late at night is not a problem....you could tell who the yuppies and hipsters are on those buses because they say "park avenue please" instead of simply saying next stop like everyone else

Old 02-18-2009, 10:06 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,859 times
I would always choose train over bus anyday. That being said, JC downtown might be better choice.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:12 PM

27 posts, read 214,342 times
i dont have a preference regarding train or bus for me its about length of commute and affordability (rents) also ability to return from the city later at night.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:09 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popschild View Post
i dont have a preference regarding train or bus for me its about length of commute and affordability (rents) also ability to return from the city later at night.
Commute to/from Downtown Jersey City will be much easier and quicker. Just less overall hassle. Even if there is a 24-hour bus to Weehawken (which I was not aware of), it probably runs every hour at most, after midnight. The Path is the lifeline for Hoboken and Jersey City. It really is quite reliable, and really convenient.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 PM

43 posts, read 259,298 times
nooo the buses run more often than every hour, there is no set schedule, they are always there on 42nd and when one bus fills with passengers it leaves and so on...the path at night sucks, your in for a half hour wait at best and will be sharing the train with obnoxious drunks and teenagers..i'd rather take two buses then take the path after 12 am

Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielo View Post
nooo the buses run more often than every hour, there is no set schedule, they are always there on 42nd and when one bus fills with passengers it leaves and so on...the path at night sucks, your in for a half hour wait at best and will be sharing the train with obnoxious drunks and teenagers..i'd rather take two buses then take the path after 12 am
I've definitely had to wait 30 to 45 minutes for the PATH train before. In that time you could be in Weehawken already.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:08 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,497 times
Jersey City.
when you find that perfect area of Jersey City, it's unbeatable to Weehawken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey