Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:22 PM

786 posts, read 2,665,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
let me just say these homes in washington park are great!! Your one smart dude and good taste. who would have know???? Wow is all I can say!
Wish those homes were in my hometown. I'd rather see those than tons of split level homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:50 AM

40 posts, read 208,613 times
OK. Let me try this. I am most familiar with those NJ counties that most people are probably least familiar with, so here I go.

Cape May - Ocean City
Atlantic - Somers Point (Really)
Cumberland - Mauricetown (A lost tiny town off the beaten path made up early 1800s Sea Captains homes)
Salem - Woodstown
Gloucester - Pitman (I have always liked the downtown)
Camden - Haddonfield
Hunterdon - Lambertville
Hudson - Weehawken
Mercer - Princeton
Monmouth - Red Bank

I have spent time in every county in NJ but am not familiar enough with them to pick a favorite town.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:24 PM

119 posts, read 472,830 times
Atlantic- Atlantic City - as ****ty as it may be, it's a lot of fun and a unique place.. I also like Mays Landing and Hammonton is OK

Bergen- I'm mostly a south Jersey guy so I have not spent much time in this county..

Burlington- Marlton

Camden- Haddonfield - Though I also like Cherry Hill

Cape May- Cape May

Cumberland- No idea..

Essex- Haven't ventured through this county too much, but so far Montclair

Gloucester- Washington Twp/Turnersville

Hudson- Harrison, where a lot of my family resides or is originally from, and also Hoboken

Hunterdon- Have never been

Mercer- Princeton

Middlesex- Not one of my favorite counties.. I like and hate New Brunswick, and South Amboy is very close to being on the ocean so that's cool.

Monmouth- Red Bank

Morris- No idea

Ocean- My county.. I really hate this county, but I do like Brick and Pt Pleasant/Beach. Toms River and its beaches are alright too.

Passaic- Wayne or Clifton

Don't know anything about the other counties.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:55 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,846 times
Default My 2 Cents

Atlantic- Margate City.

Bergen- Tough for me, my neck of the woods! I'd have to say, Ridgewood is lovely - but to visit, wouldn't want to live there. I do like Glen Rock a little more for LIVING in. But I really like Hillsdale and Oradell...I think they'd be my 2 favorite overall. I think Midland Park is very underrated. And I love Wyckoff/Franklin Lakes, but SNOB central. I do like Tenafly also, but again, too richy rich. In Southern Bergen, I'd have to say Rutherford with Hasbrouck Heights as a second.

Burlington- I think I've been to Burlington County 2x in my life, so I don't think I can comment.

Camden- Only been to Camden and Cherry Hill...again, no expert.

Cape May- The name says it all, Cape May. Although I do rather like
Ocean City and Avalon too.

Cumberland-Seriously don't think I've ever been there.

Essex- Tough but I'd say Montclair because it's beautiful, cosmopolitan, cultured and "different." Runners up, Livingston and the Caldwells.

Gloucester- Again, don't know it well.

Hudson- Nowadays, Hoboken. But that's subject to change.

Hunterdon- While I love Tewksbery (I mean, it's beautiful) I'm sure I'd dread living there as too many rich people per square mile cause an allergic reaction in me.... but it's stunning. I like Lambertville for day trips. And I've always rather liked Clinton too.

Mercer- Princeton is lovely. I also have liked East & West Winsdor.

Middlesex- Metuchen.

Monmouth- Tough one, I love Monmouth and would have lived there if DH would have approved. LOL I'd have to say Spring Lake and Shrewsberry.

Morris- I like Chester and Madison. (In that order) I also like Mountain Lakes but a little too snooty for my taste... I used to love Morristown, but not as much as I used to now.

Ocean- Bay Head and Pt. Pleasant Beach.

Passaic- Ringwood. There was a time it would have been Wayne, but I don't love Wayne anymore. I also loved old Clifton, but not new.

Salem- Not at all familiar with.

Somerset- OK Bedminister and Bernards/Bernardsville are amazing, but again...see my comments on Tewksburry. I also like Watchung and Neshanic Station.

Sussex- Not a huge fan of Sussex (no offence, just not my cup of tea.) But I do have a friend in Ogdensburg and another in Andover. They seem like pleasant enough towns. Also Sparta is not bad. My uncle lived in Highland Lakes and while it was so pretty, again, just not my cup of tea.

Union- I really like Summit. Also Mountainside, Cranford & Scotch Plains. I like New Providence & Westfield too. But I don't dig the snob factor.

Warren-See comments on Sussex. LOL But I guess Panther Valley and (FOR WILEY) Frelinghysen!

Old 04-12-2009, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 36,728 times
Awesome topic. Although I have not visited all of New Jersey's 566 municipalities, I have been around a good deal except in Gloucester, Salem, and Cumberland counties, so I don't feel qualified to comment on those.

Atlantic County: Brigantine (I like towns with only one road in!)
Bergen County: Hillsdale (though too rich for my blood)
Burlington County: Moorestown (see Hillsdale...but so beautiful)
Camden County: Haddonfield (Kings Highway is perhaps my favorite Main Street in NJ, plus easy access to Philly)
Cape May County: Cape May (our own New England seaside town)
Essex County: Maplewood (great lifestyle...nice downtown, close to the city, diverse, not restrictively wealthy)
Hudson County: Hoboken (hip for NJ)
Hunterdon County: Lambertville (proudly different)
Mercer County: Princeton and Hopewell
Middlesex County: Metuchen (perhaps the quintessential NJ borough), but New Brunswick also has its charms.
Monmouth County: Highlands (I love looking out and seeing NYC over Sandy Hook)
Morris County: Madison (rivals Haddonfield for most walkable downtown...plus easy access to NYC)
Ocean County: Bay Head
Passaic County: Ringwood
Somerset County: Bedminster (has a patrician feeling that reminds me of Surrey or Berkshire in the UK)
Sussex County: Newton
Union County: Summit (in the middle of everything NJ-wise)
Warren County: Blairstown (naturally stunning, especially in the fall)

Last edited by pennquaker08; 04-12-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM

7 posts, read 28,239 times
camden- haddonfield, haddon heights
burlington- moorestown, medford
gloucester- washington township

Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 PM

728 posts, read 1,966,457 times
Default List your favorite town/city for each county! (Only the counties I am somewhat familiar with)
Bergen- Fair Lawn is the hometown, almost all of Bergen County is great. Cant name a favorite.
Camden- Haddonfield
Cape May- Wildwood Crest
Essex- West Orange (all of West Essex is great) If you get rid of the four bad places its the nicest county in the state
Hudson- Hoboken
Mercer- Hamilton Twp.
Middlesex- South Brunswick
Morris- Cant name particular favorites
Passaic- Wayne
Somerset- Bridgewater
Union- Cranford

Old 07-10-2009, 09:27 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,018,723 times
Bergen: Ridgewood
Passaic: Ringwood
Essex: Livingston
Union: Westfield
Morris: Montville
Sussex: Sparta
Hudson: Hoboken
Warren: Hackettstown
Somerset: Basking Ridge
Middlesex: Cranbury
Hunterdon: The whole county!
Mercer: Princeton
Monmouth: Rumson
Ocean: Forked River
Burlington: Moorestown
Camden: Voorhees
Atlantic: Linwood
Cumberland: Greenwich Twp.
Salem: Don't really know this area
Gloucester: Mullica Hill
Cape May: Wildwood

Old 07-11-2009, 03:32 AM

284 posts, read 543,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Atlantic- Mays Landing
Bergen- Englewood and Paramus
Burlington- Not sure, never been around this area.
Camden- Cherry Hill
Cape May- Cape May
Cumberland- Not sure never been.
Essex- Maplewood
Gloucester-Woodbury
Hudson- Jersey City and Hoboken
Hunterdon- All of Huterdon is beautiful.
Mercer- Trenton
Middlesex-Carteret
Monmouth- Red Bank
Morris- Dover
Ocean- Lakewood
Passaic- Clifton
Salem- I never been
Somerset- I never been
Sussex- Ringwood
Union- Rahway
Warren- I think it's Hackettstown that's in Warren.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,927 times
I'll answer this for the counties I think I know well.. not for the ones I've only visited on occasion or merely driven through.

Hunterdon- Readington
Mercer- Princeton
Middlesex- New Brunswick
Somerset- Basking Ridge
Union- Westfield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey