Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 AM

28 posts, read 56,580 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I am in the process of fighting police and Fire Pension Systems. I am a police officer here in NJ. I started as a Special officer in Public Employees. I then was hired full time in the same township. I was hired and sent off to the police academy on the same day. I filled out all the paperwork to have my old pension time moved over to Police and Fire Pension. This was back in 1987. I always thought that this was in the system and it would be counted towards my retirement date. I have been now trying to get the time and money moved over after finding out it never came over, and Pensions said that they sent me a letter to my then old address in 1989, a year after I moved. Since I never got the letter the money was just adsorbed into the system. I appealed the process and they now say, I can get the money out, but not the time. I called and they said that the process is now done.
What is my next course to follow? What court do I file paperwork with to get a hearing so a judge can decide? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Oh yeh, They said i can buy back the time for $1000.00 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreaper105 View Post
Hey,
I am in the process of fighting police and Fire Pension Systems. I am a police officer here in NJ. I started as a Special officer in Public Employees. I then was hired full time in the same township. I was hired and sent off to the police academy on the same day. I filled out all the paperwork to have my old pension time moved over to Police and Fire Pension. This was back in 1987. I always thought that this was in the system and it would be counted towards my retirement date. I have been now trying to get the time and money moved over after finding out it never came over, and Pensions said that they sent me a letter to my then old address in 1989, a year after I moved. Since I never got the letter the money was just adsorbed into the system. I appealed the process and they now say, I can get the money out, but not the time. I called and they said that the process is now done.
What is my next course to follow? What court do I file paperwork with to get a hearing so a judge can decide? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Oh yeh, They said i can buy back the time for $1000.00 a month.
I would think for a notification as important as this they would have had to send you a certified letter to be sure you got it ?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,067 times
I have 16.5 years in the police and fire pension. I left my position and vested my pension. Im currently waiting to be hired back to a full time position and the pension boards reply is that because of my age (46) that I am inelligable to re-enter the pension system. I also have 4 years of active military service which I served during and in a time of conflict overseas which would qualify my veterans status. All this time should be deducted from my age putting me at 32 but the pensions states that since I left my position involuntarily I cannot get back into the system. What is my next move and where do I stand.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
you need a lawyer. a union rep and to file an appeal. buy a fax machine and use it to document transmissions. rollover and buyback are critical to a good retirement.
suggestion. type larger.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phins63 View Post
I have 16.5 years in the police and fire pension. I left my position and vested my pension. Im currently waiting to be hired back to a full time position and the pension boards reply is that because of my age (46) that I am inelligable to re-enter the pension system. I also have 4 years of active military service which I served during and in a time of conflict overseas which would qualify my veterans status. All this time should be deducted from my age putting me at 32 but the pensions states that since I left my position involuntarily I cannot get back into the system. What is my next move and where do I stand.
Under the current PFRS if you have less than 20 years of service you are entitled to 2 percent a year of service. That means at the age of 55 you are entitled to 33 percent of your last years base salary. You say you were in the service for 4 years. You can purchase this credit from the pension system and it would put you at 52 percent of your last years base salary. It will be costly but benefitial to you. Good luck either way.JM

Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
This is going to be a battle, but I suggest you pursue it. Talk to your union reps to get some advice on contacting an attorney. And be prepared for a long, drawn out fight. (The Public Employment Relations Commission and the NJ Office of Administrative Law are very tough to deal with.) Keep on your union reps and/or your attorney to keep pursuing the matter. And start rummaging through your house for any relevant documents you may still have. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: