Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 04:50 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidance View Post
If someone in NJ has converted from an underground oil tank to an above-ground, or from an underground oil tank to Gas heating - Please give me an approximate cost.

I'll document and try to have that amount deducted from the home's asking price.

Thanks again!
It was $750 to take the tank out. The grass where it was under had to be replaced, but you could just put dirt and seed. I knew I was selling the house so used Sod which is more expensive.
I paid $1300 for a Roth Tank. you want the best because the tank comes with insurance.
ROTH NORTH AMERICA
You need to have the old one inspected for any leaks. Please don't take a chance.
I don't know what a conversion to gas would be because the town did the roads so there was a 5 year moritoriun on that addition, so not an option.
Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,271 times
I believe it's between 5 - 10k.. depending if it's underground.. it has to be removed very carefuly as if it leaks it'll be a bigger problem.. they first have to pump out any oil in the tank.. then dig it out carefully and search for any leaks.. if leaks are found then the soil must be treated as it will be contaminated.. good luck!!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
I believe it's between 5 - 10k.. depending if it's underground.. it has to be removed very carefuly as if it leaks it'll be a bigger problem.. they first have to pump out any oil in the tank.. then dig it out carefully and search for any leaks.. if leaks are found then the soil must be treated as it will be contaminated.. good luck!!
And may I add that if it Hits groundwater, it could be over $100,000. I really would insist that they remove the tank. I don't like the Idea that its still under the ground. I know some insurance companies will not insure the house, if it hasn't been removed.
I've been thu this so know, its not fun. I had mine removed and the ins picked up most except for replacing soil, grass, deck, front steps. Trust me it was a mess, that you don't want to buy into.
The recent sales on my old block, also sold with the underground tank removed and had DEP papers, no Further Action Required.
Diane

Diane

Old 09-08-2007, 12:45 AM

14 posts, read 160,753 times
OK THANKS AGAIN!

1) How common are underground oil tanks? Does everyone convert to aboveground?
2) If I want to get it inspected, I have to purchase the home first? What kind of a condition should be made during the contract signing?

The home I'm interested in is priced at abt $40k below market value...which is a big difference even considering the market downturn...

I'm new to all this so please excuse my excessive questioning. I'm 24 -My husband & I don't know much abt the technical issues w/ homes.. I've learned a lot through research but would like info from actual experiences . Thanks!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidance View Post
OK THANKS AGAIN!

1) How common are underground oil tanks? Does everyone convert to aboveground?
2) If I want to get it inspected, I have to purchase the home first? What kind of a condition should be made during the contract signing?

The home I'm interested in is priced at abt $40k below market value...which is a big difference even considering the market downturn...

I'm new to all this so please excuse my excessive questioning. I'm 24 -My husband & I don't know much abt the technical issues w/ homes.. I've learned a lot through research but would like info from actual experiences . Thanks!
I was told you needed to convert from underground to above because most insurance companies will no longer insure a tank that's left under the ground.
Mine leaked, so I went thru a Lenghtly and expensive remediation. My insurance covered all, but putting things back like they were before.
The deck had to be pulled out, and they only gave me an allowance for steps down from Patio. I paid to replace the deck, grass, Above ground Tank, fence.
You can get it inspected during the Attorney Review, You have the option to not go thru with the sale if you see problems that could be costly to you.
Make sure its really $40k below, every house that sold on my block after me , sold for about $25k less/

Here is a Useful Guide, Many of these are Leaky oil tanks

NJDEP SRWM - Known Contaminated Sites in NJ (KCS-NJ)

Diane

Old 09-22-2007, 08:32 PM

9 posts, read 29,947 times
Above tanks are relatively safe, and leaks can be noticed, plus a containment pit can be put under the tank.
A friend of mine had to have half the cement floor under the house dug up from an above oil tank. It go hit by a front loader and ruptured, yes the construction company ins paid but what a mess.
That said Oil is still more efficient and safer (less explosive) inside the house than propane or natural gas, thou not as convenient. I do know that some towns are trying to do away with oil tanks(all of them above ground) in trailer parks, and will not let you sell until you convert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey