Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 45,150 times

Advertisements

I am looking to convert my home from electric to either oil or propane heat. I am not able to obtain Natural Gas where I live. I live in a 2200 square foot home and would like to hear from all of you who heat your home with Propane in New Jersey and would like to know what your average monthly bill was for this year and the past year. And would you recommend it for heating a home?
I would appreciate any feedback as soon as possible.
Aurelia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM

14 posts, read 160,776 times
I need an answer to the same question.

I am interested in purchasing a home in Union, NJ with an oil heating system. This would be the first home for my husband and I, so we don't know much about heating systems.

Please advice. Thanks so much!

Old 09-05-2007, 02:45 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
For the First one, Propane is expensive, but if you convert to oil buy a Roth tank and insist it not be buried. A roth has a $1 million policy on it, that if it punchures for any reason that policy pays for it.It also looks like a shed so its not ugly. Its about $1300 for the storage tank.
I had an underground tank that caused a huge problem, it leaked into the groundwater, it cost State Farm huge bucks to clear it up.
When it was cleaned up, I had a Roth installed.

For the second, If the Oil heat tank is aboveground make sure that they have removed the underground one if the house is not new.
Also make sure that if the underground one had a remediation, that they have the proper papers from the DEP that say no futher action required. That states that the house is ok to purchase.

Diane

Old 09-05-2007, 03:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,556 times
I have oil heat in my 1500 or so square foot house in Long Island and it cost me over $1000 for the winter with the refills. They come and refill it on a set schedule and it turned out to be about once a month. It an get pretty expensive. I believe my plan was at $2.30 a gallon.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
I have oil heat in my 1500 or so square foot house in Long Island and it cost me over $1000 for the winter with the refills. They come and refill it on a set schedule and it turned out to be about once a month. It an get pretty expensive. I believe my plan was at $2.30 a gallon.
Dodge,
But the oil is less than the Propane. I had a neighbor who was selling with propane and he changed it back to oil. It turned out he had a oil tank that leaked so changed to profane not realizing he needed to do a remediation on the old tank to sell. He was on the market for a few years until it cleared.
A great deal of my development had underground tanks put in by the builder. The town allowed the builder to put in 1/2 inch tanks.
A customer of mine in LI had an underground tank, in 35 years, and no leek. He removed it because he did not want to chance the hell I went though.
Where I live here, all subdivisions have gas heat.
Diane

Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks so much for the info. The house we're looking at has an oil tank above ground; the under ground one has been closed properly w/ paper work and all docs to confirm.

So what would you say abt buying a home w/ an oil tank under-ground??

Old 09-06-2007, 11:28 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidance View Post
Thanks so much for the info. The house we're looking at has an oil tank above ground; the under ground one has been closed properly w/ paper work and all docs to confirm.

Much better shape imho; still get it inspected. While visibly you can see if theres some blatant leak, an inspector will also check out the supports, and so on, as part of the process.

The reason I was ok with oil in the home I just got my offer accepted for was the oil tank is in the basement, no visible issues (inspection is pending).

Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidance View Post

If its still under the ground I would surely an an inspector check it out. Mine was removed from the ground when we discovored the leak and had the remediation. Make sure those papers are Legit because you are buying knowing its there and you won't be so lucky with the insurance company to pay for a remediation. I don't understand why it was not completly removed. I know State Farm told me they won't insure unless its been removed.
It's really not a fun project to encounter. I had a neighbor that has 3 under the ground in NJ. I told him get rid of them but he said his were ok, which I soo much thought wasn't to smart.
I'm not telling you not to buy, but better to be safe. I would not leave a problem to anyone but not all are that honest.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,569 times
I would recommend to keep the electric until natural gas becomes available.. propane can be dangerours.. and oil tanks can be hazardous if any oil gets on the ground.. not to mention that if you ever want to convert to natural gas it'll be priceyy..

Old 09-07-2007, 12:26 PM

If someone in NJ has converted from an underground oil tank to an above-ground, or from an underground oil tank to Gas heating - Please give me an approximate cost.

I'll document and try to have that amount deducted from the home's asking price.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey