Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:58 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
hmm, I guess times were different back then. my mom started when she was 13. I didn't start until I was in high school.
Much easier to buy back then. When I was about 6 I used to go to the corner deli for my mom all the time, buy her cigarettes and pick up other types of groceries. Nowadays, kids aren't even allowed to go to the store on there own let alone by cigarettes. I remember cigarettes being about 60 cents a pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
If they are so bad, why not just ban the product? Oh wait, that would be a loss of tax revenue. The politicians call it a sin tax: I call the politcians full of $hi*.
No, its because cigarettes will become the new cocaine.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Kate is absolutely correct (as usual) in her observation: the tax on smoking will be a gateway to tax other forms of behavior government (on the surface) does not approve of. Trans fats, alcohol, etc. This is the pusillanimous, craven mentality that politicians regularly invoke to compensate for previous fiscal inpropriety. When politicians propose irresponsible spending, they will subsequently hide behind a banner to make it all good. "The children" is the most frequently used, but "it's for your own good, safety first" is also very effective (especially with affluent, suburban parents). These regulations are another example of an iron fist contained inside a velvet glove.
The idea behind something like a sin tax is to make an individual bear the actual costs of his or her consumption. Non-smokers are subsidizing smokers' medical expenses without a cigarette tax. I haven't read an economic analysis of what exactly the figure is, but I'd wager a hefty sum that current cigarette taxes are not even close to erasing the non-smoker to smoker subsidy.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:37 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Depending on the brand, a pack runs around $3.50 to $5.00. USA Gold and Sonoma are the cheapest.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I thought parents were supposed to be role models for their children ?
Uh Duh..the children in question are 36 & 31 years old..neither smoke
get a grip

Old 03-10-2009, 06:24 AM

Well I knew we would not be able to keep this thread focused on the COST of cigarettes and most of the cost being taxes with out the holier than thou crowd chiming in.....even though I requested it not turn into a cons of smoking thread

As people stop smoking or somehow finding cheaper places to buy their smokes and the TAX revenue declines.. Not to mention all the tobacco workers being out of jobs....I will just sit back & see what the gov proposes to tax to replace that lost revenue...there are many many items out there that to some can be classified as sin, luxury etc etc...hmmm wine, beer, liquor, make up, hair dye..golf ( if you can afford the greens..that's luxury) McDonalds..hell all fast food that cause fat people..

The bottom line is the gov will GET their money by hook or by crook and something you may enjoy may be the next tax target

Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well I knew we would not be able to keep this thread focused on the COST of cigarettes and most of the cost being taxes with out the holier than thou crowd chiming in.....even though I requested it not turn into a cons of smoking thread

As people stop smoking or somehow finding cheaper places to buy their smokes and the TAX revenue declines..I will just sit back & see what the gov proposes to tax to replace that lost revenue...there are many many items out there that to some can ve classified as sin, luxury etc etc
I say let's tax Chocolate! who's w/ me? I mean, is not only bad enough that they tax tobacco up to the wazoo, but they're taking all the places where you can smoke from Public buildings to Restaurants & bar, what's next? our bedrooms?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Much easier to buy back then. When I was about 6 I used to go to the corner deli for my mom all the time, buy her cigarettes and pick up other types of groceries. Nowadays, kids aren't even allowed to go to the store on there own let alone by cigarettes. I remember cigarettes being about 60 cents a pack.
Hey did your deli sell "Lucies"??? Loose cigs where you could buy like 5 instead of a whole pack??

Old 03-10-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
I say let's tax Chocolate! who's w/ me? I mean, is not only bad enough that they tax tobacco up to the wazoo, but they're taking all the places where you can smoke from Public buildings to Restaurants & bar, what's next? our bedrooms?
I'm with you...chocolate, tax it under the obesity tax...

Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,708 times
Anybody know the nearest indian reservation that sells cheap Cigs near
I-80? I guess in PA. When we used to live in Queens, I would drive out to exit 64 on LIE, there are a couple of stores that sell cigs for half the regular store price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey