Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:57 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
This is why I can't take you seriously. So I guess the time all those times when I was a kid in the single digits where I had people trying to beat me up over NOTHING that I deserved it? If there's anybody that's a jerk, it's you.

And hell... NYC people are nice. Most of them will leave you be or help you even. You go over to Jersey, there's always somebody ready to give you a problem.
NYC people aren't nice even to other NY'ers...even less so with NJ'ans.

Without fail, everytime I say I'm from Jersey, out pops a Jersey remark (it would be better if they were actually funny and tasteful...and not the usual corny NJ jokes.)

Old 08-31-2009, 08:36 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The problem is you. You have a stereotype about NJ people in your mind and you show it through your expressions and behaviors, even if you don't think you are. People pick up on this negative, antagonistic vibe from you and react to you accordingly.

I don't have any more problems with any one group of people over any other. I don't have any more problems with NYers or NJ'ans than I do with Texans or Floridians or Oregonians. All places have jerks and nice people, both. No place has more or less than another.

The stereotype of the "brash" New Jerseyan is just a misinterpretation of the way most New Jerseyans don't put on a fake "friendly" attitude for no reason. This is and has been exploited as "brash" by over-sensitive types who then perpetuate the stereotype. The stereotype then gets into movies, TV, and other media and it becomes viral and self-perpetuating.

But the truth is that NJ'ans are only "brash" when someone has a crappy attitude towards them (as you do), and no people from any other state are any different at all except perhaps they are weaker.
This is a really good post. I couldn't have authored it better.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
The stereotype of the "brash" New Jerseyan is just a misinterpretation of the way most New Jerseyans don't put on a fake "friendly" attitude for no reason.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Well said.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The problem is you. You have a stereotype about NJ people in your mind and you show it through your expressions and behaviors, even if you don't think you are. People pick up on this negative, antagonistic vibe from you and react to you accordingly.

I don't have any more problems with any one group of people over any other. I don't have any more problems with NYers or NJ'ans than I do with Texans or Floridians or Oregonians. All places have jerks and nice people, both. No place has more or less than another.

The stereotype of the "brash" New Jerseyan is just a misinterpretation of the way most New Jerseyans don't put on a fake "friendly" attitude for no reason. This is and has been exploited as "brash" by over-sensitive types who then perpetuate the stereotype. The stereotype then gets into movies, TV, and other media and it becomes viral and self-perpetuating.

But the truth is that NJ'ans are only "brash" when someone has a crappy attitude towards them (as you do), and no people from any other state are any different at all except perhaps they are weaker.
But the thing is you're from Jersey. Of course, you're going to be defensive towards my statement.

And honestly, I don't think you know what you're talking about. There is a difference between being upfront and being rude. Please know the difference before you speak on it. Don't mix those two up. Being upfront is not being disrespectful. You can tell somebody what's on your mind without being fresh. Being fresh is extra. You try that whole Jersey attitude elsewhere and see where it gets you.

Funny thing is most of you Jersey people have so much damn pride for your state where you can't seem to confront or admit anything wrong with their state except for certain cities being bad. That's the truth. They can't seem to talk about the problems with their state and you know what, that's the reason why the politicians get away with a lot of BS. That's the reason why Newark will forever be screwed up. You know... Jersey people are NOT upfront. New York people are way more upfront than Jersey people.

Last edited by angerinthenation; 08-31-2009 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey