Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 AM

312 posts, read 1,164,225 times

Advertisements

Wow, CARS and DRIVERS DO NOT OWN THE ROAD! The roads are for everyone including joggers and bicyclists. By law you cannot ride a bike on sidewalks in many towns and as was said previously bicycles by law share the same privileges as cars on any road. As a responsible driver and human being you have an obligation to be extra careful around a pedestrian or bicyclist. Is it really that hard to slow down or give a wider berth around a jogger/bicyclist? I mean please, is it more important for you to save 5 seconds off of your trip rather than be courteous to your fellow human beings?

As someone who has trained for and finished a marathon I can tell you that if you're doing training runs of up to 20 miles and more you DO NOT want to run on a concrete sidewalk. Concrete is much harder than asphalt and will lead to many more injuries. Any serious runner will not run on sidewalks. The roads are to be shared by all of us. Yes, people should not be running on the turnpike or GSP but local roads? Come on, don't be so selfish and be nice to each other!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
Wow, CARS and DRIVERS DO NOT OWN THE ROAD! The roads are for everyone including joggers and bicyclists. By law you cannot ride a bike on sidewalks in many towns and as was said previously bicycles by law share the same privileges as cars on any road. As a responsible driver and human being you have an obligation to be extra careful around a pedestrian or bicyclist. Is it really that hard to slow down or give a wider berth around a jogger/bicyclist? I mean please, is it more important for you to save 5 seconds off of your trip rather than be courteous to your fellow human beings?

As someone who has trained for and finished a marathon I can tell you that if you're doing training runs of up to 20 miles and more you DO NOT want to run on a concrete sidewalk. Concrete is much harder than asphalt and will lead to many more injuries. Any serious runner will not run on sidewalks. The roads are to be shared by all of us. Yes, people should not be running on the turnpike or GSP but local roads? Come on, don't be so selfish and be nice to each other!
I have to disagree with you on this one. I too am a bicyclist but because bike riding on the public roads is so dangerous I prefer to do my bike riding off road.

Many bike riders insist on riding double file forcing motorists to go way around which is selfish on the part of the bicyclist.

Joggers are another story as long as they stay far to the right I give them plenty of room.
They're are certain roads where joggers should just stay off because too many curves and hills that obscure the drivers vision.

People can argue all day that bikes and joggers have just as much right to the road as motorists but the bottom line is that the motorist always wins in any close encounter.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one. I too am a bicyclist but because bike riding on the public roads is so dangerous I prefer to do my bike riding off road.

Many bike riders insist on riding double file forcing motorists to go way around which is selfish on the part of the bicyclist.

Joggers are another story as long as they stay far to the right I give them plenty of room.
They're are certain roads where joggers should just stay off because too many curves and hills that obscure the drivers vision.

People can argue all day that bikes and joggers have just as much right to the road as motorists but the bottom line is that the motorist always wins in any close encounter.
I agree that riding double file as a bicyclist is pure idiocy. Just as drivers should be considerate of joggers and bicyclists, joggers and bicyclists should also be considerate. Joggers/Bicyclists should follow basic safety guidelines and use common sense, such as staying to the right and not making sudden movements. Just because some bicyclists are idiots does not mean all that all bicyclists should not be allowed on the roads.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

That drives me nuts and they refuse to move over or go single file...they have a dam parade of cars behind them..it's not just motorists who are rude and inconsiderate..plenty of bikes & joggers fall into the catergory as well all though from personal experience it's more so the bikers

Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Cyclists passing on the right? Oh noes!!! How fast were you going, 10 mph?

BTW, this is a common regulation:
Quote:
Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
So, those of you with road rage at cyclists riding next to each other, IT'S THE LAW!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
motorists need to be more cognizant of cyclists. cyclists that are ignorant need to stop, but they are not the majority. runners....i've never heard someone complain about runners. lol

Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 AM

391 posts, read 1,476,612 times
As far as sidewalk vs road running, i try to use a common sense approach. if i'm running on side streets with less traffic, i run in the street. when ever i'm running through an area with more traffic, i tend to run on the sidewalk.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
As far as sidewalk vs road running, i try to use a common sense approach. if i'm running on side streets with less traffic, i run in the street. when ever i'm running through an area with more traffic, i tend to run on the sidewalk.
Agreed. Everyone should just use common sense and be courteous. We all have to share these roads.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
I live in a shore town and I see sometimes mostly mothers pushing baby carriages in the street,sometimes doubles, while mom is jogging. In my book you(also men) are one of the dumbest human beings on earth because you have no consideration for the childs life. Any driver can get a flat, have an heart attack and so on and veer of the road and kill your child while your worried about firming up your butt by running in the street.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

280 posts, read 603,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I live in a shore town and I see sometimes mostly mothers pushing baby carriages in the street,sometimes doubles, while mom is jogging. In my book you(also men) are one of the dumbest human beings on earth because you have no consideration for the childs life. Any driver can get a flat, have an heart attack and so on and veer of the road and kill your child while your worried about firming up your butt by running in the street.
What kills me is seeing mothers walk their dogs and kids to school ON THE STREET, with the child holding mom's hand on the side of the traffic, and the dog walking on the grassy side. But that's another story.

I am glad this topic came up, as I always wondered about joggers not being afraid for their life. People text everywhere they go, I see cars veering off on the road almost everyday. Sometimes it's a bit, sometimes they go over the solid line. Why would people risk their life like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey